Why Easton is Dying...

fattboy21

bench warmer
You meant 3? Surely not better than sp12sy100w , and if you meant 4, why not all 5 wegmans? The scn20bw wasn't better than 100w

I have this years Wegman, last years purple and white Wegman, the all red L2 and the white and yellow L2. I don't have the SP12SY100W, but I wish I did!!!

THESHOE

Starting Player
Exactly, he's missing the one of the lot that is different and grows up a beast...

That 100w, 100h and st100 year is their best. Took work to open up, but they are still regarded highly and pop pretty well for their age.

ST100h is probably the best grey dot bat going even now.

You're missing out on some greatness with the 100W

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
Funny that you said this, we have some older guys who love to use there old 30+ ounce crappy metal bats and hit bloopers over the infielders heads. Then you put a good composite bat in there hands and the bloopers become line outs to the outfielders.

There's 10 guys on the field, use the bat that helps you avoid those people.

speedkills8

Starting Player
I swing a 2015 Easton Salvo and I can honestly say I love it. The main part of my game is placement and bat speed. I love the balanced feel, bat control, bat speed, etc. I get with this one piece bat. I have tried other "hotter" bats but they just feel so different and never fit my swing. I had a red 4tf and tried it game after game. Could never get used to it and even though it was "balanced" it never felt that way. My object has never been to hit hr's though, I am a contact/speed player and I recognized that long ago. This bat results in me using that placement/speed/bat speed the best so I will continue to use it.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm done with Easton... Still have a minty sy98 to put up for sale / trade.

It seems like their bats get worse and worse each year... Yeah they're durable but who has time to put thousands of hits on one to get it game ready? Now they ban the greatest bats they ever made to get people to buy new ones? Well it worked... And I bought an ASA DC41.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen lots of good and bad comments on Easton. Personally, I don't have any problem with what they did cuz I didn't have 20 Flex or Extended bats squirreled away in my garage.

Easton can't win b/c they made hellacious bats for several years that don't break (except for the Unicorn), and they hit the 52 just as well IMO, or not so far behind the new bats as to make a noticeable difference. so no one has an incentive to buy a new bat.

My ball mallet has worked just fine to get my SSR4 into game shape, along with good amount of BP, which is necessary anyway if you want to hit consistently. IMO, it's just a shift by Easton. I never buy a bat new, and I have an SRV4 which I basically paid nothing for, so if they go totally crazy and withdraw everything prior to 2013, I'm not out much money for the use of some very hot bats.

I like the balance point of an Easton and will continue to use them. It's just business.

ck1

The Madness
I don't know what they did. The bats just have a very hard feel. Super rigid, almost like the SCN10BH and the SCN12BH. Very, very small sweetspot. Pop was marginal. If you found the tiny sweetspot it was OK, but I wasn't super wowed by any of the bats.

To me they don't feel like the same bats, hence I don't think they're '15 repaints.

One guess is that this is being driven by manufacturing or quality metrics. Some operations director is being told by corporate that they had too many returns in 2015 and therefore their 2016 target is to be 30% lower, which improves the division's profitability. Then the ops director goes back to engineering and asks for help in redesigning the product so he won't have X number of failures in a year. This is great in a lot of industries but a little less so in others. The end result is a worse, but indestructible product. If only they had consulted sales and marketing in order to realize that they will end up losing market share if the product doesn't perform.

We have conversations like this all the time at my company.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
One guess is that this is being driven by manufacturing or quality metrics. Some operations director is being told by corporate that they had too many returns in 2015 and therefore their 2016 target is to be 30% lower, which improves the division's profitability. Then the ops director goes back to engineering and asks for help in redesigning the product so he won't have X number of failures in a year. This is great in a lot of industries but a little less so in others. The end result is a worse, but indestructible product. If only they had consulted sales and marketing in order to realize that they will end up losing market share if the product doesn't perform.

Easton is owned by Performance Sports Group, who also owns Bauer, Combat, Mission, Maverick, and other brands. I think the reason Easton doesn't aggressively go after the slowpitch softball bat market is because it accounts for so little of their annual sales.

The Easton brand alone markets baseball/fastpitch products (where they dominate), archery gear (world-renowned), hockey gear, etc.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know that I really agree with that. I agree with what you're saying, but who spends more money on slowpitch marketing than Easton? To say they don't aggressively go after the slowpitch dollar is wrong to me. What other company has 4 signature models? Worth has Resmondo, but do their group of players make more than the 4 Easton guys? Even if they do, that still makes them second in the pro player market. They make commercials that air on youtube of which I haven't seen for another company. If I'm not mistaken, they're the only company to have a team in the LHB tour every year since it started.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Put a handful of swings on an ASA helmer today. Felt just like last year's Kirby to me. Maybe a tad stiffer.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I don't know that I really agree with that. I agree with what you're saying, but who spends more money on slowpitch marketing than Easton? To say they don't aggressively go after the slowpitch dollar is wrong to me. What other company has 4 signature models? Worth has Resmondo, but do their group of players make more than the 4 Easton guys? Even if they do, that still makes them second in the pro player market. They make commercials that air on youtube of which I haven't seen for another company. If I'm not mistaken, they're the only company to have a team in the LHB tour every year since it started.

I get what you're saying, we got the SFS youtube commercials up here in Canada. But even with the money they spend on promotion and player endorsements, for such a large company it's still just a drop in a bucket.

Easton is almost a niche company as far as slowpitch bats go. People will either love or hate them. Very little in between. That said, despite the fact that I think their '16 line are logs, I love Easton bats. There's something about the weighting and feel that no other company can duplicate.

This is the way I feel about Easton. There are hotter bats, there are bats that break in faster, but the feedback you get when you hit one just right with an Easton... it hasn't been duplicated by any other manufacturer.

And for guys like me that want to take a lot of BP with their gamer and hit a variety of balls in cold temps, Easton and Mizuno are the only current options that make sense.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Potato tomato. If it's a drop in the bucket for them, but still way more than their next competitor, isn't that still aggressively going after the market? They're just not willing to go the Miken way of making bats that are out of spec out of the wrapper or within a few swings. Let's face it, the Ultra never actually met the standard. They engineered it to fool the test to gain market. You could make a claim that's what they're doing again by making bats that are hot out of the wrapper but only pass compression for a few hundred swings. IMO, UTrip models have been Combats least durable models, and their bats last longer than Worths and Mikens stay in compression these days. My white Avarice tested over 250 at our last tourney last year and it was a year and a half old with hundreds of swings. The SS isn't as big as a Freak Black, but it's right there with it in pop when you find the SS.

You could make the statement that Demarini is doing the same thing. Bats that delam immediately, need special testing to pass the UTrip test, etc. For all the hype of this special UTrip AM, I never saw one around here. Never saw any Demarinis in So GA.

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
Haven't liked an Easton since the 100h and st100. Have since switched to miken and worth and haven't looked back

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Potato tomato. If it's a drop in the bucket for them, but still way more than their next competitor, isn't that still aggressively going after the market? They're just not willing to go the Miken way of making bats that are out of spec out of the wrapper or within a few swings.

This is what it comes down to. No matter how much they pay for advertising/endorsements, they're still trying to sell the exact same bats (or minor tweaks) every season. 13L1, 14L1, 15 Kirby, 16 Kirby, whatever. Close enough to identical that the average customer can't tell the difference. No one gets super-excited for them, and they're on clearance in under a year.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what it comes down to. No matter how much they pay for advertising/endorsements, they're still trying to sell the exact same bats (or minor tweaks) every season. 13L1, 14L1, 15 Kirby, 16 Kirby, whatever. Close enough to identical that the average customer can't tell the difference. No one gets super-excited for them, and they're on clearance in under a year.

It's funny that you say this, because it's been that way forever. With a few exceptions like the 15BH which that style is now a staple, they've made the same bats forever. People are never excited about them, they go on clearance, then a year after that they're selling for above retail on ebay and the like. It's insane. Nobody liked the CNT+ when it came out(first big barrel composite). They were 99 bucks in no time, then they're the hottest UTrip bat around. Selling for over 300 NIW when they were just on clearance for under a hundred less than a year earlier. Same for the Flex and Extended. Easton has had some duds in there, but their bats usually aren't appreciated until they're well over a year out of date.

Which Kirby are you swinging? '15 or '16? I love the '15. '16 is noticeably stiffer.

15. Haven't gotten to try any of the 16s. Most everyone around here is in love with TPS. A few guys I play with have a relative that's sponsored by Miken but I haven't gotten to hit their new bats yet. I may actually buy a Freak 30. My first Miken since the OG DC Psycho.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
I love the '15.

I agree with this. Of all Easton's 15' bats... The Kirby was the best. Wish it had a tad more pop, but I loved it.

Side note, played against an SIS player this last weekend. He was hitting the new Helmer... Just hitting seeds. Asked him what he thought of it and he was impressed with it's performance. Mentioned also that he's broken 1 or 2 already.

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
I probably need to give that new Helmer more of a chance, but what I swung of it I wasn't impressed. Didn't feel any different to me than any prior year Easton. If anything it was stiffer and had a smaller sweetspot.

Just read 17 pages of why Easton is dying and all I got from it was because they lost a hell of a Rep for 2016!?!?!?

Im kidding, Im kidding.

I am really excited to see the 2017 line as Ive heard its a brand new platform and its going to be very good!

THESHOE

Starting Player
But here I thought 17 pages worth of people saying once broken in they popped like the rest, and that we were crazy to think they weren't on the same level as others???

I am scratching my head in confusion a little now....

Wish it had a tad more pop, but I loved it.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Just read 17 pages of why Easton is dying and all I got from it was because they lost a hell of a Rep for 2016!?!?!?I am really excited to see the 2017 line as Ive heard its a brand new platform and its going to be very good!

Truth. And I'm excited for their new line.

But here I thought 17 pages worth of people saying once broken in they popped like the rest, and that we were crazy to think they weren't on the same level as others???

Great pop. Just not fantastic.

Bats%2016_zps4bv0t4fw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sick collection.

Markous

The Rookie
I grew up swinging Easton in baseball. Always thought of them as a quality bat. For what you are paying on last years models it's worth it even if all you ever use them for is BP. I just ordered last years torq for $140 NIW and I've got a B1 I've been hitting BP w up until now. Wanted to check out the TCT composite. It's cold in the spring here in NY and I like to have a new Easton to swing before the season starts. Can't beat the durability.

speed123

Synergy Flex OG
Just read 17 pages of why Easton is dying and all I got from it was because they lost a hell of a Rep for 2016!?!?!?

Im kidding, Im kidding.

I am really excited to see the 2017 line as Ive heard its a brand new platform and its going to be very good!

Chudder I know for a fact that you single handily in a sense sold a lot a people on the kirby and torq with your youtube videos............ Now that you're gone and not swinging the 2016 Eastons no one is buying the new line around here now .........Hahahahaha!! :D:D:D #truth

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Chudder I know for a fact that you single handily in a sense sold a lot a people on the kirby and torq with your youtube videos............ Now that you're gone and not swinging the 2016 Eastons no one is buying the new line around here now .........Hahahahaha!! :D:D:D #truth
Ill take his place,

my videos are nearly half as impressive, so maybe ill make half the sales.

Ozzy3313

Addicted to Softballfans
Side note, played against an SIS player this last weekend. He was hitting the new Helmer... Just hitting seeds. Asked him what he thought of it and he was impressed with it's performance. Mentioned also that he's broken 1 or 2 already.

Talk about a brag post... :rolleyes:

So you wanna hit this week? :biggthumpup: