Craziest stuff you've seen playing softball?

Hagen49

So I started playing a new league in the city about a half hour north of where I live last week. This league plays double headers for a majority of the divisions, so the 1st at bat of my 2nd game, I unintentionally ripped a grounder right back up the middle. The 2nd ump, standing at 2nd anticipating a possible play, was standing maybe 20 feet behind the pitcher. The ball takes 2 hops on the turf, and finds the umps uhhh "tender parts". I felt bad 1st of all for shooting middle, and even more so for the ump taking the shot.

What kind of crazy stuff have you guys seen or been part of?

arther itis

payin' to get paid
I've got one for this thread. It happened around 37 years ago at a local softball tournament that was being held at the same time as a Powwow/Celebration.

A non-Native American team from a community 60 miles away came to play at this men's tournament. This team was drinking and they started to get loud. The loudest was the shortstop. In between an inning he told his woman to go to the Powwow/Celebration and get him some food and "to make sure there's no dog meat being served".

His team goes back onto the field on defense and a batter hits a grounder. The grounder takes a bad hop and the shortstop wasn't wearing a protective cup. The ball found him you know where :D

He's writhing on the ground holding his groin and his teammates run over to him. The locals all start laughing and honking their vehicle horns :D

It was a karma classic.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Just the other night I saw a woman get drilled in the head with a high pop foul over the fence near the 3B dugout. She was raptly engrossed with her phone and never even looked up when people yelled "heads". Ball nailed her right above the ear.

Paying attention while at the fields is never a bad idea.

Normy

Playing in a tournament today and the shortstop threw a rocket over the first baseman, over the fence and whizzed/rolled past about fifty people without hitting anyone. Couldn't of done that again if he tried.

Joker

Umps, fielders, spectators, and nobody getting hit with a ball. So ****ing crazy

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
The best I can remember was a girl with legit homerun power try to do a roundoff coming onto field, land awkwardly, and hurt herself. She was lithe and had done a few cartwheels, but not lithe enough.

Her team had a tournament that weekend.

Dugout5

Starting Player
Funny this post came up......Just saw this today. Batter has 2 strikes, pitcher yells “Bat” then proceeds to lob the ball high and way inside. Batter stands there and doesn’t move.....:with the bat on his shoulder. Ball hits the barrel (behind the batter) , batter out, end of inning.

Last edited:
Last night the two umps at our game got into a fight. The instigator ended up going to the hospital, which might've been the best part of the whole fight

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Last night the two umps at our game got into a fight. The instigator ended up going to the hospital, which might've been the best part of the whole fight

Some of the old guys in the "Ask The Umpire" section would still find a way to blame that on a player.

If you can't find the DB on the softball field, it means you are the DB on the softball field.

Sig-worthy.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I had an argument before a game with a teammate. He was a certified ump and he was saying how there should never be a "4 base award" call.

"It was stupid, no one would ever be capable of deflecting a ball over on purpose for a cheap out, it should be umpire's discretion as to whether the ball would've carried out untouched, IT NEVER HAPPENS ANYWAY..."

We started our game, he played CF and knocked 2 balls over the fence by the 5th inning.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing a team that had just won to get to us in the losers bracket at nationals 3 years ago. Opposing manager got ejected for not furnishing a new lineup copy to the umpires/me. He felt they could just use the copy from last game over again and this was all " a waste of trees". I see his point but dude went full Earl Weaver

Another time an opposing coach asked for an appeal to the UIC which was ruled upon correctly. He wasn't happy with that so asked them to "appeal to the OKC office as well"

mreedjr14

I played a rec league game a few months ago against a team where no one went up to the plate with a "walk first" mentality. I understand that pitchers will walk people. That's a part of the game but going up to the plate and not swinging until you have 2 strikes to try to get a walk out of it kills me. Especially in a "Sunday Funday" league!

Normy

One of our coed girls went ape **** the other day after the opposing pitcher called her a chihuahua. He was referring to her personality...she thought he was making fun of her looks. The coach had to hold her in the dugout cause she was about to storm the mound lol.

Joker

I played a rec league game a few months ago against a team where no one went up to the plate with a "walk first" mentality. I understand that pitchers will walk people. That's a part of the game but going up to the plate and not swinging until you have 2 strikes to try to get a walk out of it kills me. Especially in a "Sunday Funday" league!
so crazy

N LA Hacker

Illuminati
Craziest thing I've seen playing softball is grown ****ing men, playing a recreational sport and acting like a bunch of teenage girls. Even crazier than that, it seemed to happen every time I played.