Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

Big D

In the Batter's Box
BigShep said:
Still looking for some input on this question ...

I picked up a 21 oz fast pitch bat from walmart last fall for under $10. that's what I use for my light bat.

papabear66

Soy el papá grande
BigShep said:
Here's what Mike says on his site ... and maybe it answers my question, too:

I use one of my Daughter's 21oz FP Cats Shep....this really works Brother...I hit one tonight in Sulphur Springs Co-Ed that went 375+ with my very well broken in Freak and a 44/525 Evil ball...never hit a ball that far in my life, no wind, 70 degrees....just got to stand and watch it with everyone else...my best friend and my wife were on base too so it was very special for some reason:rolleyes: guess I'm getting silly as I age:D

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
Make sure you swing both ways with this drill. Magnus is right I just forgot to mention it becuase I switch hit so, I just do it without thinking. You don't want to get too overloaded one way or the other. Also I advise using the heavy bat sorta like a batton. Getting your wrists used to moveing the extra weight generates more snap when you switch to your game bat. If you can roll your wrists with the heavy bat, you can snap them with the light one. I also use the bat for weighted stretching before games.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
papabear66 said:
... never hit a ball that far in my life ... my best friend and my wife were on base too so it was very special for some reason:rolleyes: guess I'm getting silly as I age ...
p-bear -
It's never silly to want your friends and family to admire your accomplishments. Congrats, bro.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Okay -
My 10oz Worth shell weight came yesterday ... for my "heavy bat". So, to create my "light bat", I took an old Grover Platinum and hacksawed off about 4" off the end and another 3" off the inner shell. Then I filed down the sharp edges and put some electrical tape on ... mostly to keep the inner shell from flying out. It feels great. Did the drills yesterday and today. I play tomorrow and Monday, so will swing again Tuesday. Feels good.

Jonathan

Addicted to Softballfans
I did this drill for about two weeks, then my lead shoulder started hurting really bad and I layed off. Anyone else experience this?

Gary19

papabear66 said:
I use one of my Daughter's 21oz FP Cats Shep....this really works Brother...I hit one tonight in Sulphur Springs Co-Ed that went 375+ with my very well broken in Freak and a 44/525 Evil ball...never hit a ball that far in my life, no wind, 70 degrees....just got to stand and watch it with everyone else...my best friend and my wife were on base too so it was very special for some reason:rolleyes: guess I'm getting silly as I age:D

I know I am a little late to the party, but you use Freak's and 525 in friggin coed????? How sad! :(

goyard74

The Man, Myth, the Legend
sad is right, we cant using anything but singlewalls but they allow zcores and if u cant hit with one of those, u shouldnt be playing

I'm Trying

Portuguese Bowler
I started this program finally today. I'll follow it too the tee as he has on the site. I may do one extra day during the week but no less then 2 days per.

Access24K

Addicted to Softballfans
Phanatic said:
Make sure you swing both ways with this drill. Magnus is right I just forgot to mention it becuase I switch hit so, I just do it without thinking. You don't want to get too overloaded one way or the other. Also I advise using the heavy bat sorta like a batton. Getting your wrists used to moveing the extra weight generates more snap when you switch to your game bat. If you can roll your wrists with the heavy bat, you can snap them with the light one. I also use the bat for weighted stretching before games.

Hey guys, just hacksawed about 2 inches off a an old walmart bat for my light bat and did this last night, felt pretty good.

A question on switching sides. Are you supposed to do one whole round of the exercises batting right handed and then another round batting left handed? Or do you switch sides everytime you switch bats? Or do you do one side one day and switch sides the next?

Thanks for the help guys, hope this works out for me too. :D

Access

Gary19

Phanatic said:

You switch hit???????????????????

I'm Trying

Portuguese Bowler
Access24K said:
Hey guys, just hacksawed about 2 inches off a an old walmart bat for my light bat and did this last night, felt pretty good.

A question on switching sides. Are you supposed to do one whole round of the exercises batting right handed and then another round batting left handed? Or do you switch sides everytime you switch bats? Or do you do one side one day and switch sides the next?

Thanks for the help guys, hope this works out for me too. :D

Access

If you are right handed/left handed, you would only do this on your hitting side. If you do switch hit then I would recommend doing left/right on opposite days.

Access24K

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm Trying said:
If you are right handed/left handed, you would only do this on your hitting side. If you do switch hit then I would recommend doing left/right on opposite days.

Gotcha, thanks I'm trying. I'll be sure to stick to my hitting side.

Piggyn

SBF Janitor
I just assumed that he took cuts from both sides in order to avoid developing a muscle imbalance, which could increase the chance of pulling something.

I'm Trying

Portuguese Bowler
Piggyn said:
I just assumed that he took cuts from both sides in order to avoid developing a muscle imbalance, which could increase the chance of pulling something.
I re-read it and didn't see that implied. I was looking for his email address but cannot find it. I would ask him that question to make sure if I did have it.

Piggyn

SBF Janitor
Phanatic said:
Make sure you swing both ways with this drill. Magnus is right I just forgot to mention it becuase I switch hit so, I just do it without thinking. You don't want to get too overloaded one way or the other.

I bolded the part that made me think that.

papabear66

Soy el papá grande
Gary19 said:
I know I am a little late to the party, but you use Freak's and 525 in friggin coed????? How sad! :(

I just noticed this prick had to comment....Gary, it is a legal bat for ASA and the league approved the balls to be used.....why on earth would that be "SAD"......5 HR's allowed and NOBODY hits middle....ever....sometimes I don't understand the point of your constant negative attitude old shoe:rolleyes:

Gary19

papabear66 said:
I just noticed this prick had to comment....Gary, it is a legal bat for ASA and the league approved the balls to be used.....why on earth would that be "SAD"......5 HR's allowed and NOBODY hits middle....ever....sometimes I don't understand the point of your constant negative attitude old shoe:rolleyes:

So no girls ever play in the infield?

Access24K

Addicted to Softballfans
Access24K said:
Gotcha, thanks I'm trying. I'll be sure to stick to my hitting side.

Guys, did this for the second time last night and started getting some pain in my elbow when swinging the heavy bat. Anyone else get this and does it go away in with a few more rounds? Or is it likely that I'm doing something wrong? Also, I take it from the responses that we're supposed to do both sides. Is that on the same day? Or do you switch sides when you switch days? It's probably both on the same day.

Okay guys, any help with this elbow thing is appreciated.

Gary19

Access24K said:
Guys, did this for the second time last night and started getting some pain in my elbow when swinging the heavy bat. Anyone else get this and does it go away in with a few more rounds? Or is it likely that I'm doing something wrong? Also, I take it from the responses that we're supposed to do both sides. Is that on the same day? Or do you switch sides when you switch days? It's probably both on the same day.

Okay guys, any help with this elbow thing is appreciated.

Read Mike's site. NOTHING is said about doing it from both sides.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
I do switch hit but more importantly you want to develope both arms equally and the trick is that if you let your top hand fly as many hitters do it will take all the weight for longer than the bottom hand so by switching sides you develope both arms equally. One strong arm can pull the bat through the zone but you generate power by pushing and pulling equally through the point of impact. Also this drill will your whole body legs arms core back. So you want to balance both sides. It then improves your ability to reach outside pitches because you have greater control of your normal weight bat when you are reaching outside. I also take the heavy bat and twirl it with my wrists. Make sure you stretch very thoroughly with the bat before swinging.

Last edited:

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
Gary Mike is a beast he does not need to get stronger. I am a 175 pound 5'7" midget and I just tweaked things to try for more power. So far so good 4 homeruns this year after only hitting the fence a few times back when the Ultra II's where legal. Plus I am hitting around .670 up over 200 points from last year before I started the drill.

Gary19

Phanatic said:
Gary Mike is a beast he does not need to get stronger. I am a 175 pound 5'7" midget and I just tweaked things to try for more power. So far so good 4 homeruns this year after only hitting the fence a few times back when the Ultra II's where legal. Plus I am hitting around .670 up over 200 points from last year before I started the drill.

Mike did not post it on his site for his own benefit, but for "regular" guys who come on and read it. NO mention of doing it from both sides. That was my only point.

witchdawg7

Salad Tong Master!
Gary19 said:
So no girls ever play in the infield?

In accordance with all the **** you spew out of you pie hole...if the girls can't field their position in the IF then they need to find another position to play! Isn't that you gay assed montra about pitchers?
That being said STF up you depends wearing homo!

Gary19

witchdawg7 said:
In accordance with all the **** you spew out of you pie hole...if the girls can't field their position in the IF then they need to find another position to play! Isn't that you gay assed montra about pitchers?
That being said STF up you depends wearing homo!

Yep, Freaks and 525s against women!!!!! Verrrrrry manly.

witchdawg7

Salad Tong Master!
Gary19 said:
Yep, Freaks and 525s against women!!!!! Verrrrrry manly.

The girls get to swing the same bats and hit tiny balls too.
When a women steps on the field she is no longer a girl or a woman but a player.
Like you have said so many times before about guys pitching...if you can't field your position then go play somewhere else. How does this philosophy change when it comes to women?
Personally when I play co-ed I don't bloop the ball or hit it at a girl on purpose for the sake of getting a hit.
I am just pointing out that what you have been saying for the last couple years should apply to everyone. Field your position or go to the bench...regardless of sex. (or lack there of) :)