Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
I use a big wood louisville slugger and have gradually added donuts until it weighs in at 168 ounces with all of them on.

papabear66

Soy el papá grande
I started doing this with a 56 oz weighted bat....my daughter's 21oz bat...and my 27oz games bats last winter and I am hitting the ball harder and further at 40 than at anytime in my life...it will absolutely work to add 25+ to your distance:D

I'm Trying

Portuguese Bowler
Ok I need to get my a$$ on the ball and do this. How long did it take for you guys to see a difference!!

Captainobvious

Addicted to Softballfans
I looked at the program, but it doesnt say what the exercise is?? Are you just taking free swings with the number of reps listed with the correct weighted bats?

dhark

why are some of you going so high on the heavy bat?? He says to go 5-10oz more than your gamer doesnt he?? 168oz:eek: thats like 10.5 pounds:eek: and the 56oz can you swing that normal with good mechanics? Not so sure those are gonna help?

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
It is 168oz with 6 donuts so I started with a 36oz bat plus one donut and have kept adding when I find I can swing the weight freely I add more weight just my own personal twist.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
I found that swinging a heavier and heavier bat made it easier to swing a normal bat with control. So that I can go to opposite field or hit the holes more accurately. Also in tournaments I just don't get as tired swinging my normal bat.

the shadow sith

The Veteran
Ive been doing this for about 4weeks. My bat speed has improved but make sure you take lots of bp, because Im having trouble hitting the middle of the ball.I keep hitting grounders or pop flys. But ive only taking bp once in the four weeks. So the think it will come around.

KennyH123

The Man...The Myth...
It will not take long for you to see results.

Its just dry swings. I start with a 37 oz bat, then go to a 21 oz bat, finishing up with my regular 27 oz, which will feel like a feather to you. You will literally "feel" your bat speed increasing. Couple weeks and you'll see improvement. You only need to do this exercise 3x per week, or so.

10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings regular bat

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
dhark said:
why are some of you going so high on the heavy bat?? He says to go 5-10oz more than your gamer doesnt he?? 168oz:eek: thats like 10.5 pounds:eek: and the 56oz can you swing that normal with good mechanics? Not so sure those are gonna help?
It has always seemed to me that the 10oz Worth Supercell bat weight shell would be ideal for the "heavy bat" ... so much so that I just ordered one.

What do you guys do for a light bat? I used to swing a wiffle bat, but that's gotta be way under 20oz. Do you just cut the end off an old triangled bat with a hack saw?

Last edited:

dhark

BigShep said:
It has always seemed to me that the 10oz Worth Supercell bat weight shell would be ideal for the "heavy bat" ... so much so that I just ordered one.

What do you guys do for a light bat? I used to swing a wiffle bat, but that's gotta be way under 20oz. Do you just cut the end off an old triangled bat with a hack saw?
Thanks Shep Good minds think alike:D I have a Trishell I found in the trash can that is basically a half a bat and use that as a light bat after the chute trainer and I think that would be an excellent light bat for this drill. Not so sure that just removing the endcap from a bat would get you to the light weight you need? I dont know about you guys but after swinging a wiffle ball bat my elbow joint (inside) hurts cause its just too light?

papabear66

Soy el papá grande
dhark said:

good grip, perfect mechanics, leg kick, and follow through all the same...can even make the 56oz make the "wooosh" noise....guess it would depend on your personal strength level as to what would be appropriate for you:rolleyes:

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
dhark said:
... I dont know about you guys but after swinging a wiffle ball bat my elbow joint (inside) hurts cause its just too light?
'hark -
If you swing the wiffle bat, only use one hand at a time ... 3 with the left, 3 with the right ... alternate ... but about 12 total should do.

Untraceable

You wanna party?
he does not know what he is talking about as far as physiology. fast twitch fibers are recruited as intensity goes up. swinging a 40oz bat will recruit more fast twitch fibers comparably to swinging a 20oz bat. Fast twitch fibers are bigger too.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
Just bought 2 more donuts for my bat will bring it to about 190oz's. If you think the weight is too much think about this. When a 26oz bat hits a ball as Ray Demarini said swing speed slows down after impact but the more you can retain bat speed after the swing the further the ball will go. So what I have found is that the really heavy bat 10+ pounds allows me to have more control when swinging my normal bat and it helps me maintain bat speed through the ball. Bottom line is my line drives are harder, I have gone from short hoping a 300ft fence to clearing it regularly in BP and all this with no weight lifting. Pretty good results for a 5'7" 176 pounder.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
By the way I am at a very high bat but I have been doing this routine for over 2 years increasing weight only when I can swing the heavy bat with a normal transfer to my front hand and still let the bat fly free in my front hand like my normal swing. Plus the weighted bat is great for wrist exercises

goyard74

The Man, Myth, the Legend
just started this today, dang it only took like 10 minutes too do but i was breathing hard afterwards. its a good workout. i cant wait till i see some results. i think im going too try and do it almost everyday on one of my breaks or first thing when i get home from work.

Piggyn

SBF Janitor
Phanatic said:
So what I have found is that the really heavy bat 10+ pounds allows me to have more control when swinging my normal bat and it helps me maintain bat speed through the ball.

I had read that Demarini article about bat weight vs. bat speed through the ball before. Based on the mechanics involved I suspect that fore arm / grip strength have the biggest effect on how much swing speed through the ball you lose. I don't know how you'd really verify that, though. In any event, it sounds like I need to get some more donuts!

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
BigShep said:
... What do you guys do for a light bat? I used to swing a wiffle bat, but that's gotta be way under 20oz. Do you just cut the end off an old triangled bat with a hack saw?
Still looking for some input on this question ...

Magnus_CA

SHABLIZZLE!
BigShep said:

I went out and bought one of those purple girls fastpitch bats. I was used and cheap at Play it Again. It weights around 20 ounces.

Magnus_CA

SHABLIZZLE!
One word of advice...swing in both directions when you're doing this exercise, especially with the heavy club.

stinkyhitter

Addicted to Softballfans
fellas this exercise is the ****zzzzzz! help me get a good amount of footage on my bombs. and line drive just sizzzzzzle..........only do this exercise on mon., wed., and fri.. it's important also to give them muscles some rest time to heal, know what i mean......

AJ75

Addicted to Softballfans

I took a wiffle bat and put one of the soft bat sleeves on it that weighs around 16 oz. There you have it, a 16 oz bat.