Search results

1. PCMAY

ASA Dive or Dive

In our co-ed social league last night, we had two instances of diving (or sliding head first) into the base. The first instance was when a runner going to second did a good old fashion head first dive. The ball beat her to bag but my understanding is that she would have been out due to the head...
  2. PCMAY

Any It's Not A Foul

I was watching a game the other night and the batter hit a dribbler down 1st base line. The ball started out foul and the umpire immediately called it foul. However, before the catcher could get to the ball, it rolled over the chalk line a few inches into fair territory and stopped. I know it is...
  3. PCMAY

Just a Umpire Courtesy Question

I was watching a recreational co-ed game last night and it was obvious that several of the players were inexperienced. Case in point, one lady made it to first safely. As she was waiting for the next batter to hit, she stepped off the base two or three feet and stayed there. The umpire didn't...
  4. PCMAY

Batter Leaning In Obstructing the Plate

Last night I was pitching in a slow pitch adult co-ed league and a lady about 5' on a good day came to bat. She was a hook and she setup right next to the plate and leaned in to where she literally blocked the left side of the plate with her arms and upper body. When I pitched the ball (a little...
  5. PCMAY

ASA Batted ball hits base runner (Slow Pitch)

Playing game last night, grounder was hit sharply between me (pitcher) and the shortstop. I had no play on the ball. Runner on second takes about two steps from the bag and is hit by the ball. No one had a chance to field the ball before the runner was hit. Pretty sure the shortstop would not...
  6. PCMAY

ASA Clarity on Runner Interference

I was pitching in game last night. The other team had runners on 1st and 2nd. Our shortstop was playing in maybe 5' to 10' fit behind the baseline and shaded toward 2nd base. The batter hit a 3/4 speed grounder about 15' or so to the left of 2nd base. As our shortstop went to field the ball he...
  7. PCMAY

ASA Runner called out base line

Runner called out of base path Had a situation occur the other night which I wasn't sure how to argue. Fortunately, it had no bearing on the outcome of the game. We had runners on 2nd and 1st and our batter hit a ground ball to SS. As the runner advanced from 2nd the SS bobbled the ball but...
  8. PCMAY

ASA Walking lady batter with 2 outs

Last night i was watching a game (ASA Co-ed) in which the defensive team walked a guy with two outs. When a lady came to the plate next, the ump instructed her to take 1st base which she did without question. The reason I inquire is because in a different game, same league, different ump, but...
  9. PCMAY

Hitting 11" softballs for practice?

I go to the batting cages regularly and the machines are stocked with regulation 12" softballs not the mush balls. My daughter wants to hit 11" softballs and has convinced the manager of the cages to let her swap the 12" softballs with 11" balls while she is there. I have several bats (USSSA...
  10. PCMAY

Other USSSA vs ASA

I was at the cages the other night and began talking with another guy as we took turns swinging. He said he was practicing because he had just been invited to play on a team in our area. I could sense he was somewhat a newby to slow pitch softball, so I asked him if they played USSSA or ASA. He...
  11. PCMAY

ASA That is not a Strike!

I was playing the other night and the pitcher pitched a ball that landed a couple of inches outside. It landed about 6 to 8 inches behind the very front of the plate and to the right. It did not make it past the square part of the plate to the back triangle. The Ump called it a strike saying it...
  12. PCMAY

ASA Foul Ball ... NO!

This is a call I have seen happen often and kind of drives me crazy. The other night, a batter hit a short pop-up on the first base side which landed foul. The umpire immediately called a foul ball. Hearing this, the catcher stopped running for the ball. As I said, the ball landed foul. After...
  13. PCMAY

ASA Using Senior Bat in regular E league

I am new to this board, so I am not certain this is the correct forum for my question, but I will ask. I am soon to be 63. I currently swing a 28 oz Miken Psycho when I play and can still pretty much line the ball to the fence on any given at bat though I normally try to pull or place hit. I...
  14. PCMAY

ASA Bunting in ASA slowpitch softball

First, thanks for this forum and the opportunity to ask questions. The other night I was watching a co-ed game in our ASA softball league and one of the men batters did a very slow about 120 degree swing purposely hitting the ball very lightly to get on base. He in no way, took a full swing at...
  15. PCMAY

ASA Softball Pop-up Near Home Plate

This occurred in our co-ed slowpitch softball game the other night. Facts: 1) Pop up about 8 to 10 feet in front of home plate near first base line in fair territory. 2) Catcher runs to get ball and jostles runner in the process. 3) Ball lands fair then rolls foul untouched. 5) League uses ASA...