10 Tips to Being a better Slow Pitch Softball Pitcher

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about normal pitch sequence (with height, location, pitch types) to the average righty. And the same to a lefty?
If you want to find out how good of a pitcher you are keep it low and outside.

Here's a blanket statement everyone makes, you have to be able to throw a strike when you need it. Here's my addition, you have to be able to throw a strike right after someone hits middle. You can't appear rattled or you're done.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
How about normal pitch sequence (with height, location, pitch types) to the average righty. And the same to a lefty?

Now that associations have gone to no courtesy foul I approach both lefty/righty very similarly. If you know the batter will take a pitch, groove him for the free strike. After that, rest of the at bat off the hands. If they have shown they will swing whenever, righty low and in to try to get him to ground out, lefty high and in to try for a pop up

Would like to hear high level/more experienced guys approach as well

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
If you want to find out how good of a pitcher you are keep it low and outside.

Here's a blanket statement everyone makes, you have to be able to throw a strike when you need it. Here's my addition, you have to be able to throw a strike right after someone hits middle. You can't appear rattled or you're done.

Fact!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that associations have gone to no courtesy foul I approach both lefty/righty very similarly. If you know the batter will take a pitch, groove him for the free strike. After that, rest of the at bat off the hands. If they have shown they will swing whenever, righty low and in to try to get him to ground out, lefty high and in to try for a pop up

Would like to hear high level/more experienced guys approach as well
Aren't those backwards? Wouldn't you want fly balls to left and ground balls right to the first baseman so he can just step on the bag?

oppotaco13

Well, I'm pretty sure Benny775 has either figured it out, or gave up pitching by now. lol But I'll post something anyway.
You need strong hands to throw a knuckleball consistently, no matter what grip you use, first. Get a hand exerciser and squeeze. All the time. Softball is all about forearms and hands. The reason you are/were having issues is because you have to throw the ball harder from 50, so that puts more pressure on your grip. Btw, I use the 3-finger grip.

Can You post a pic of that grip? I was getting to where I could throw a knuckleball kind of ok, But then I took a ball off my ring finger. Looking for other grips until the stupid swelling goes down.

blakcherry329

I wish I could just re-post the what I posted years ago. I had like 5 pics explaining the different movements for each grip. But here is the basic grip.[GALLERY=media, 28307]IMG_20170922_102539 by blakcherry329 posted Sep 22, 2017 at 2:06 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 28306]IMG_20170922_124647 by blakcherry329 posted Sep 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM[/GALLERY]
Throw it like you would throw a handful of dirt. Same motion. Need to let your nails grow, a little, not too much, so you can dig in.

The Kudzu Kid

I agree. In the right situation walks are a great tool.

For example: If the batter has gone yard on you twice, and he comes up again, walk the b@stard. Better to give up 1 base than 4.

I totally agree about utilizing walks, the threat of a walk, and the no pitch intentional walk. This past season I had a middle of the order guy rip it 6 inches from my ear and he just stared me down the entire time he was running to first, and then stood on first and glared at me. The next game was the first round of the playoffs and I walked him 4 times without throwing a pitch. Despite him being on base 4 times we didn't allow him to score. Hitting is what everyone wants to do. If you hit it up the middle at me without any contrition or concern about me, then I don't pitch to you anymore unless I decide to.

Some batters don't like to walk, and will swing at a bad pitch if it is close enough, and will hit into an out. I don't throw waste pitches if I'm spinning with control.

Unless the next batters are beasts, I look at a walk as an opportunity for a double play or an extra force out for my infield.

The pitcher controls the game. Walks are a tool that can be used to control your opponent's lineup. Use the tool.

basilray

Since we're on this thread again:

When you know there's a hitter who mashes, and struggles to hit anything other than HR's, let him hit an HRO.

I played a season on 285' fields, so pretty much everyone could go deep. 2HR/game limit. After they burn up those two, give the big hitters some meat. We played the eventual league champs, who were undefeated 8ish games into season play, and I think I had about 5 HRO's after they burned up their two HR's. Some guys just can't layoff.
ETA: We gave them their first L of the season that game - Thanks HRO's!

Last edited:

D-ROCK13

Since we're on this thread again:

When you know there's a hitter who mashes, and struggles to hit anything other than HR's, let him hit an HRO.

I played a season on 285' fields, so pretty much everyone could go deep. 2HR/game limit. After they burn up those two, give the big hitters some meat. We played the eventual league champs, who were undefeated 8ish games into season play, and I think I had about 5 HRO's after they burned up their two HR's. Some guys just can't layoff.

This is my favorite as a pitcher ^^^ Love knowing most of the mashers in league play and feeding them meatballs with no hrs left, 95% will blast one for an out

The Kudzu Kid

Has anyone experimented with any grip enhancers to try and gain an edge with increased spin rate?

I bought Gorilla Gold and Pelican Dip to try them out. I threw batting practice today. The first time through I didn't use anything, the next time I used both grip enhancers. I felt like the spin rate increased on all of my pitches, the bp hitters squared me up less, and the hitters were telling me the ball was moving. My first game of this season is Wednesday. I'll update the thread after.

hitsone

great to read all this good advice again.
Getting old, losing my expertize. A little arthritis in the wrist, irritating bat elbow (golf). enflamed delt really diminishes accuracy.
Weather getting better I will work hard to get it back burt first BP was a disaster and I was the only pitcher who showed up

denthepitcher

SF Native
I don't know nothin' about nothin', here's my contribution.

1.Throw strikes.

2.Protect yourself at all times. Middle is part of the game. Get back and GET SET!

3. Have your glove at your chest. Protect your head and your heart first. Anything you can field after that is a bonus.

4. See the hole in a batters swing and attack it.

5. You should steal an outside strike early, but never late.

6. Your best defense in a 1-1 game is a first pitch strike.

7. Work the count. Most hitters are aggressive, use it against them.

8. Use the entire length and width of the pitching box. Change every angle and distance you can.

9. Use the allowed time between pitches. Set, release in 3 seconds. Set, hold for nine seconds, release. Set, quick pitch etc.

10. Do not show frustration when your defense fails to make a play. It’s going to happen.