$100

bear's dad

1 Thess. 4:11
Just one fairly simple question:
Is it possible to find a decent ASA bat for $100 bucks or less? and if so, which one?

For the purpose of this discussion, "decent" will be defined as being for use in low-level church or co-ed league by your average recreational player who just can't afford to shell out much dough on a bat.

Oh, and just as a preemptive strike on the same tired, old responses:
1. please no Hammers, Cyclones, etc.
2. I know I should use the Search feature, but I don't feel like it and I keep getting 'fatal error' messages.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Old Worth ESTs are good, even the post-2001 ESTs aren't that bad (my 2005's hit fine), for an average recreational player I'd say they'd work great. I'd personally favor a RockeTeck or Techzilla over those though. Got both my RT and TZ for $102 or under shipped.

That being said, I only swing metal so no idea as far as composites go.

If you'd be interested I'd let go of one or a couple of my ESTs, LMK. Might even consider the RT for the right price.

Last edited:

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
Dude i saw a older est for 20 bucks the other day, almost picked it up. but saw some used TAs i wanted more...

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Dude i saw a older est for 20 bucks the other day, almost picked it up. but saw some used TAs i wanted more...

Assuming it was in any kind of reasonable shape, would have been a good pick. They run around $50-$70 on here.

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
Assuming it was in any kind of reasonable shape, would have been a good pick. They run around $50-$70 on here.

Trust me i thought bout it but it was rough. besides i would never swing it and i dont collect bats. i buy them to use that and no way i could pass up all those thunder advanced balls

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Trust me i thought bout it but it was rough. besides i would never swing it and i dont collect bats. i buy them to use that and no way i could pass up all those thunder advanced balls

Meh, at least you got something you wanted. More of a value decision, wasn't like you just passed it up for no reason.

bear's dad

Thanks for the replies. I'm not necessarily in the market for bats right now, but just looking for ideas. Some of my teammates have said they wanted to buy thier own bats instead of using mine, so I'm trying to looking for different options.

You should definitely be able to find a quality used composite for around $100-125. Miken 484, Wrath, Crush 2, Crush G3, etc. You can probably even get a new ASA Wrath for around $100-125.

Last edited:

bdubbew

Addicted to Softballfans
Meh, at least you got something you wanted. More of a value decision, wasn't like you just passed it up for no reason.

You know now that ya got me thinking i have a older worth round here somewhere. its gold think its a dts or dls something like that might have to find and sell..

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
You know now that ya got me thinking i have a older worth round here somewhere. its gold think its a dts or dls something like that might have to find and sell..

Not really familiar with the older Worths, outside of the ESTs and Supercells. I'm sure you could find someone who'd want it on here though.

earnstaf

BP Hero
Crush 2 ..... I picked one up the other day for $90 (I overpaid) ... bought it strictly for sentimental reason since it was my first bat to hit a HR with. I swung it at BP the other day and hit several out. Cant ask for much more out of a 75-90 dollar bat.

babales

Only kind of here
Crush 2 ..... I picked one up the other day for $90 (I overpaid) ... bought it strictly for sentimental reason since it was my first bat to hit a HR with. I swung it at BP the other day and hit several out. Cant ask for much more out of a 75-90 dollar bat.

I agree. I wouldn't pay over $90 or so for one, but you get plenty of bat for under $100 with the ASA Crush line.

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Most Mizunos work for that price range. You can also get a few different good metals in that range.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
I see someone mentioned the new line EST's....Dunham around where I live has some on clearance for like $40-$79, I've never put any stock in them as I haven't heard much about them....

for that price are they even worth trying or would it just be a bp bat....I would like to try one if they work decent on the "mush"

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
It also depends on what weight they swing. I just picked up a 34/26 NIW Schutt Bustos for $60; Dictators are also good, Miken 282 and 484, loads of Mizunos (can often get a NR Frenzy in that range, as well as all Crushes except the OG, plus the Techfire/Rage/Fury), might even be able to find a used 2nd batch '08 Extended. Combat B198 is a good bat in that range as well...many, many to choose from.

laverdt

Addicted to Softballfans
You can get the ASA Reebok dictator new for $80 and you can get all kinds of bats that are used for under $100 as well.

bear's dad

It also depends on what weight they swing. I just picked up a 34/26 NIW Schutt Bustos for $60; Dictators are also good, Miken 282 and 484, loads of Mizunos (can often get a NR Frenzy in that range, as well as all Crushes except the OG, plus the Techfire/Rage/Fury), might even be able to find a used 2nd batch '08 Extended. Combat B198 is a good bat in that range as well...many, many to choose from.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were so many options. How are the Bustos? I'm thinking about getting a lighter bat for the girls on our team to swing, and have been looking at some fastpitch bats. I assume they're GTG for ASA slowpitch?

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were so many options. How are the Bustos? I'm thinking about getting a lighter bat for the girls on our team to swing, and have been looking at some fastpitch bats. I assume they're GTG for ASA slowpitch?

Bustos is excellent; barrel is a little stiffer than I prefer (I like a very soft barrel), breaks in pretty quick.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
another vote for a Wrath or old Techfire....they are great asa bats and very underrated

AJ22

Super Moderator
2nd batch 08 ext. they were around $100

He wants present ... not the past. If you are going that route, I bought a M7598 2 months ago for $100 that had less than 100 swings.

There are some alright decent bats out there for $100 or less. But, you may as well spend another $50. You would be getting a little better bat with probably a little better durability and performance.

We are talking ASA, so its not like your going to abuse these bats with use in ASA. You get what you pay for ...

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
How about the OG Crush one of the best ASA bats out there in my opinion. Hits with some utrip sticks
Good luck finding one for $100 in decent shape.

He wants present ... not the past. If you are going that route, I bought a M7598 2 months ago for $100 that had less than 100 swings.

There are some alright decent bats out there for $100 or less. But, you may as well spend another $50. You would be getting a little better bat with probably a little better durability and performance.

We are talking ASA, so its not like your going to abuse these bats with use in ASA. You get what you pay for ...

It sounds like the OP would consider used bats; honestly, he'd be crazy not to.