20 rep deadlifts

Jake 99

Living the dream!
So I have been finishing my squat training with 20 rep squats. Has been doing wonders for my squats, so I got to thinking that my deads were in the crapper and maybe 20 rep deads are a good idea. This phase will be doing deficit deads 5/3/1 then potentially 20 rep deads. Will cut the 20 rep squats out if I decide to do the deads.

As I said, this sounds like a good idea to me but does it just sound like a good idea in my head?

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
I think there are reasons you don't hear about 20 rep deads like 20 rep squats. Namely, it is a very technical lift and fatigued-induced form degradation near the end of your set can have bad consequences on taxed muscles, etc - eg it seems to be a recipe for a back injury at the very least.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Yeah I think it's a bad idea. I wouldn't go past 8 reps on dead lifts. The dead lift has a ton of exercises you can do to help increase it. Deficit deads, speed deads(50-60%), submaximal dead(30-40%max), glute ham raise, good mornings, etc... all help.

This is a program that I'm going to incorporate into Show and Go. http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/ Just enter your current dead and your goal and it lays out a deadlift program to add to your training.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Yeah I think it's a bad idea. I wouldn't go past 8 reps on dead lifts. The dead lift has a ton of exercises you can do to help increase it. Deficit deads, speed deads(50-60%), submaximal dead(30-40%max), glute ham raise, good mornings, etc... all help.

This is a program that I'm going to incorporate into Show and Go. http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/ Just enter your current dead and your goal and it lays out a deadlift program to add to your training.

I should follow up by saying that I have NOT tried that program, but I have heard of people that have with success.

Jonathan

Addicted to Softballfans

Looks like I have to start by doing more than my current max, for reps. Maybe I 'm not supposed to go from 350 to 500 in 10 weeks... :cool:

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I think doing lightweight for high reps is fine. I know some of the powerlifters would do a lot of romanian deadlifts in that range of reps.

Jake 99

Living the dream!
I think doing lightweight for high reps is fine. I know some of the powerlifters would do a lot of romanian deadlifts in that range of reps.

That's what I was thinking. Probably keep the weight at about 50%ish.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I was thinking. Probably keep the weight at about 50%ish.

I think it could be done but speaking from experience, if you feel your form starting to go due to fatigue, forget about hitting the 20 rep mark. A minor strain and 4 weeks away from deadlifts drove me crazy.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero

^^^Agreed.

Again everyone is different and I probably would not recommend it. However, if you were to still try it, I would say 50% would be the max and just pay close attention to form.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^lmao!!! You're a beast!

Hope the twins are doing well. Don't know how you have the strength to lift the past few months!

Jake 99

Living the dream!
^^^lmao!!! You're a beast!

Hope the twins are doing well. Don't know how you have the strength to lift the past few months!

Thanks, made a deal with my wife to stop lifting in the morning and just hit it at lunch, the boys are sleeping all night...feeling good.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes on rather lifting heavy weight, try taking a light weight and going slow and really destroying your hamstrings. go down and feel the pull and slowly pull them up.

I suggest a 225/275lbs weight if you are lifting a mid 600's dead.

grubd

Banned User
Sometimes on rather lifting heavy weight, try taking a light weight and going slow and really destroying your hamstrings. go down and feel the pull and slowly pull them up.

I suggest a 225/275lbs weight if you are lifting a mid 600's dead.

Like a sldl?

grubd

Banned User
I do sldl occasionally on leg days and dl every other week on back day. I wonder if a 20 rep barbell row would fire up the back like 20 rep squats do rather than the deadlift?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I do sldl occasionally on leg days and dl every other week on back day. I wonder if a 20 rep barbell row would fire up the back like 20 rep squats do rather than the deadlift?

If you're dead lifting for bodybuilding purposes you should probably be doing rack deads.

Jake 99

Living the dream!

Been doing 20 rep bent rows too...not as effective as the squats and deads.

---day after the deads...HOLY CRAP my whole posterior chain is wrecked!! So it worked.

grubd

Banned User
Been doing 20 rep bent rows too...not as effective as the squats and deads.

---day after the deads...HOLY CRAP my whole posterior chain is wrecked!! So it worked.

Damn, glad they worked that well.

Yes, saw the front squats, think it was on, The Unbelievable. I have watched all 13 hours of his videos many times. Cost of Redemption is my favorite one.

I thought about doing rack deads today to try them but a guy was in the power rack doing his curls and didn't feel like being a **** and asking him to move.