2014 PORTENT ASA BAT review

sjl

Addicted to Softballfans
I was wondering if I could get any reviews on what people think of the red portent asa combat bat? Saw a good deal on a combo with that and the derby boys bat.

Trent523

Coach
Probably one of the best bats they made that year, crush the 52 300's... get one!! I'm looking for one as well, sold mine last year. My brother, has about 400 to 500 hits on it and still no tracking or webbing!!

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
Only cage swings on mine so far (bought it used though). sounds like a wooden bat hitting a hard baseball lol. Distinct sound. After hitting a variety of balls (100+ swings) noticed at home that it had some webbing, spiral cracks, paint cracks... all that. I will BP it some outside to get a feel for distance and then it will be my backup gamer (behind my '13 Aftermath). They are cheap, buy one...or two.

RoeReaper

Coach
I liked last years portent. It was my go to bat. After breaking it in til it had typical Combat webbing and tracking it was fire. I preferred the portent over last years DBA. Only bat I used over this last year was my Mercy.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Remove this in a hurry!!!!!^^^^^^^^

Potent feels pretty balanced at the lower weight, but it out performed my expectations. I don't thing the sweetspot is to my liking, like the DBA or Wanted....but it sure does make the ball go far.

Dan411

Star Player
I was wondering if I could get any reviews on what people think of the red portent asa combat bat? Saw a good deal on a combo with that and the derby boys bat.

I put up a review in the bat review section if you'd hop over there to check it out. It's a very nice bat :biggthumpup:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
From what I've heard that Portent can get pretty hot. If it's a combo with the new ASA Derby Boy I say do it...If it's with last years navy blue derby boy...meh

Eeyore

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you talking about this bat... I got rid of my Aftermath, Juggy & True One for the Portent. It still passed compression with about 1500 swings last year. It finally got tossed at states (for tracking) so I sent it back for a return. All we use is 52s around here and it hits them just fine. I used 44s for the first 100 hits to break it in and thats all it needed IMO. The bottom one in the pic (is the one that I got as a warranty) has about 600 swings and no tracking but very light webbing. The only thing I changed was the grip because I didnt like the original grip. Changed them to Lizard Skins.

I'm not that bad, but I have 3 portents, all ASA all 26. Absolute fire stick with 52's. Thats all we use up here. Balanced for a combat, great sound, mine have only webbed lightly, no tracking. Distance is good, not the best of the best I used last year, but very good. Best exit speed of anything I used though, hands down. But thats only my opinion, however I used over Fu dawg, juggy, mayhem pumpkin and balanced mayhem, a dirty, anda wanted.

Matt1336

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^what the best you used last year?

I want a portent. So if anyone has one they want to get rid of, lmk

cotis

Addicted to Softballfans
I will try to get FattyMcBoomStick in here to review his. he loves his, swears by it.

For me and my horrible swing, id say the portent was far and away the best. The survivor swung nice, but i never got it broken in. If you like a "balanced" one piece, id don't think there was a better bat last year from anyone. If you like 2 piece bats, or big endloads look elsewhere. I like a balanced 27 or 28, or 26 with 1 ounce endload and a one piece or real stiff one piece (I don't have a smooth swing...at all).

FattyMcBoomstix

Addicted to Softballfans
I have prob about 1k swings plus on mine, Hits any ball well IMO

if there was more ASA out in Chicago I would have scooped up another

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Portent was my fave last year BY FAR! What a killer bat. Used it with 52s all season long. 9 of our 11 players swung the bat exclusively. The color from the outfield somewhat resembles the old orange Utrip Recoil, so we had many people question the bat, especially since just about everyone used it. We had around 1500 on it and then I took it to a tournament where we were hitting 44/400. That just was STUPID fun... busted the bat by the end of the day. Pick em up for cheap and ENJOY. Expect around 2-300 hits with 52s before it really opens up. The sound will change drastically.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
Portent was my fave last year BY FAR! What a killer bat. Used it with 52s all season long. 9 of our 11 players swung the bat exclusively. The color from the outfield somewhat resembles the old orange Utrip Recoil, so we had many people question the bat, especially since just about everyone used it. We had around 1500 on it and then I took it to a tournament where we were hitting 44/400. That just was STUPID fun... busted the bat by the end of the day. Pick em up for cheap and ENJOY. Expect around 2-300 hits with 52s before it really opens up. The sound will change drastically.

What is durability like with harder balls? My league hits 44/375. I already got mine webbed up and game ready. Will it last with the harder balls or should I be looking for something else to swing? Only hit mine in the cage but she sounds nasty.

FattyMcBoomstix

Addicted to Softballfans
What is durability like with harder balls? My league hits 44/375. I already got mine webbed up and game ready. Will it last with the harder balls or should I be looking for something else to swing? Only hit mine in the cage but she sounds nasty.

Everyone's different, could be 20 swings or 2000.

I would stop taking Bp with it, the webbing on mine is starting to look like cracks LOL

Once it's game ready, don't even bring it to Bp

I've hit:
44/400 gold dots - under 40 degrees :eek:
52/275 Restricted flight? - under 40 degrees - surprisingly very gtg

And just about anything else you can think of in my Bp bag when I was breaking it in.

The ball doesn't matter, IMO

I did wonder if they made certain batches of these, I have had mine for almost a year now.

Take it for what it's worth! Thinking of selling mine, but I've heard they're going for pretty cheap.

sjl

Addicted to Softballfans
Welp, pulled the trigger. 1-28 and 1-26 ounce bat on their way. Thanks for the help.

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
So the all red one is the better of the two ? ? ? ? ? ?

I would like to know this also. How does the '13 with white lettering compare to the '14 with maroon lettering? Because we all know the '13 orange DBA and '14 purplish blue DBA don't compare in performance.

linogall

Addicted to Softballfans
I would like to know this also. How does the '13 with white lettering compare to the '14 with maroon lettering? Because we all know the '13 orange DBA and '14 purplish blue DBA don't compare in performance.

Dying for an answer.....!!!!!!

skew12

It's advertised as balanced, but I and others have found that is not accurate. The end load is there, but it's minimal.

Sounds just right to me.

Got one on the way, but apparently a train derailed somewhere slowing it up.