2015 Military Worlds Tourney location proposal!!!

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
So i know Mr. Hockey sent an email out to all military coaches about the 2015 Military World Tournament proposal location. I know some of you havent seen it so here is what was emailed. I would like to hear your thoughts on what you guys think. And if im wrong for emailing this, im sorry but this is our progra

Coaches;

I have been asked to contact the USSSA Military Coaches and get their preference from the following list of locations for the 2015 USSSA Military World Tournament.

A) Euless, Texas
B) Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
C) Panama City Beach, Florida
D) Virginia Beach, Virginia

Thank you,

Roger Hockey
USSSA Military National Program Director

Last edited:

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
To me this is a slap in the face for us central states and west coast state teams/bases. i kow this convo is on going but this is the opportunity to make a change and to compensate for everybody. But to give us only one choice which isnt that bad at all. EUless, TX is right in the middle and temas will come. But my complaint is why of the 4 choices we have, they are 3 east coast locations and only 1 location near the west. What about Oklahoma, Dallas or even a little more west and have Vegas or colorado since teams come out for that.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I voted VA Beach.....then Myrtle, PCB and TX in that order.

Very nice complex and we can drive there, which means we'd actually attend for sure.

I've got no interest in some place that's hot as hell in the second week of August.....aka Vegas et al.

reid13

R2W!!!!!!! Look it up...
I am anxious to see how many people would go to TX. It is a nice complex and a major hub to fly into.

curse21

Addicted to Softballfans
The problem with Euless is that the main complex is only 4 fields... which means you got to have surrounding areas hosting games. now you have teams playing at other fields and never seeing anyone. the whole idea of the program is everyone is together having a great time seeing old friends. they tried this at disney in 07 and it was a mess. Euless should have never been on the table IMO

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Complain about heat but doesn't VA and myrtle have nasty humidity. Can't make everybody happy.

Compared to AZ, yes very humid, but not any worse than PCB for sure!

Last time I played in Vegas, it was 107 with record high humidity for that area. I understand that was not the norm, but I still don't want to die from playing.

In the end, no matter where it is, I'll still do my best to get a team together from here, but there simply aren't enough "junkies" here that will come much out of pocket to make it happen. Unfortunate, but I'll still try to make it happen wherever.

Top Flight 43

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand the frustration that teams from the midwest or west coast has in this matter. After living on the west coast for 3 years I will say that flights to the east coast are not cheap but they are even more going from the east coast to the worst (west) coast. The complex in PCB is the ideal for the program becasue all teams are at the same place and everyone can see everyone. However, I think there should be another location that will give those that are not on the east coast a better chance of making it possible to attend this even.

Question...the 4 locations on the list, are they they only locations in question? If so I think that Virginia Beach would be a better choice because of the location of the airport and hotels in the area. Flights into SC cost more so that would not help those teams who are flying in. I would think TX but if the complex has a small amount of fields then like curse21 stated it wouldn't work for the program. There is a cmplex in Chattanooga, TN that is similar to the one in PCB that would be a great location. There is a major airport there and rooms in that area are decent rates and there are plenty of places to eat.

This is just my thoughts on this but I hope that everyone who has been asking for a change to please step up and voice your opinion. Remember, it is always a complaint unless you can provide a solution. Then it is a suggestion. Good luck to all.

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
I wonder what happened with Dallas or manifield. I have played at Softball world also and yes it only has 4 fields. Was BLD too expensive to host. What about colorado. i didnt get to play at the band-aid this year but i heard there was plenty of fields and the facility was beautiful, top notch fields. Or oklahoma where they are holding ASA nationals this year. Just some thoughts. I dont blame you on that high intense heat from Vegas. I was stationed at luke for 8+ years and its basically the same weather conditions, so i guess the heat doesnt bother me. I honestly think if it can happen that a BLD in texas will be best. I know they charge a ton to rent but USSSA has to have some kind of connections with the facilities.

Last edited:

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
Top Flight, what you seen me post on top was the email staright from Mr. Hockey on this matter and those were the choices the presented to all the coaches. He did give me a response since i sent him questions about why only one location in TX and none in the west coast. Here is what he repsonded to me:

Coach
Points well taken when jeff and I spoke to teams about going further west they flat out told us that would not attend.

Roger

Roger Hockey
USSSA Military National Program Director
1203 Sparrow Ct
Baltimore MD 21227

I started to write a response cause i wasnt happy from what i read but then i started doing some research before i responded. I basically looked at all the other conferences and where they held their world tournaments since 2010. Other then the "E" division all world tournaments are held in Florida. E's are the only conference where its held in three different places in each to accomodate for each region. So with that being said i didnt really have a valid arguement for military worlds to be held in different locations each year to help everybody out since the other conferences have it in one location the past 5 years and the turn out have been very promising. The only thing i can suggest is that we move the location which might be ideal for weather conditions, numerous fields and major airport to help out with all bases/facilities.

reid13

R2W!!!!!!! Look it up...
The Band-aid is held out west and is a huge success and keeps getting bigger each year. That event has been the second largest military event next to wolds the past few years. If teams want to play they will come no matter where Worlds is held. Its going to be expensive no matter where you hold it at unless you can get it close to a major airport. PCB is always expensive to fly in there and I can imagine Mertal Beach being close to the same. I really dont care where its held if I plan on going im going and plan accordingly.

FUPA

Addicted to Softballfans
I know all the West Coast teams want it moved further West but Top Flight stated it correctly. The flights are more expensive to fly out west. Another thing that people do not realize is while this tournament was in PCB the last several years how many teams drove from as far as DC (North) & Texas (West)...You move this further west you will lose those teams that drive. The Band Aide is already out west (Colorado) so why not make it the big tournament early in the year and then have the worlds. Hell why not try to have a Grand Slam...4 big tournaments a year...I have played on all the fields in question and I think Myrtle Beach is by far the best out to the 4....flights in would be a bit difficult but the fields are the best out there. Va Beach has a great 8 field complex with a major airport within a half hour and then if you wanted to try to get cheaper there are the airports right up in DC (2.5/3hrs) away...Long drive but sometimes you can get cheaper up that way....All in all we have to remember what this tournament is for...yes to play softball and win but I personally enjoy seeing old friends more than anything.....That is the reason they are trying to work getting a complex that will keep us all together.

B-Link #99

Retired Damage Controlman
USSSA is all about the money! They will never move the tourney to the West Coast; they would lose all those teams that have the luxury of playing in the backyard and driving. We (GI) have been flying to worlds since 1998 and I think it has only been in Texas 3 times since then, once in Maryland, once in Kentucky and I believe the rest in Florida.

I would like it to be in Myrtle Beach this upcoming year; I have never been there and heard the fields are turf?? Plus, I did some minor research and flying into Florence or Wilmington is only $375 from San Diego and plenty of resorts and hotels. And, you would still draw the max amount of teams from being on the East Coast.

My only concern would be the weather, is it comparable to PCB?

AldapeCJ

Addicted to Softballfans
I've played at myrtle with snow on the fields, yes snow and it was just fine. Fields are amazing and '325 all around so that's a plus.

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
im in for Myrtle beach. I was stationed at Shaw AFB which is only like 100 miles away and i been at the beach plenty of times during that time of year and its beauiful out there.

Hoodles25

Addicted to Softballfans
My vote is for Amsterdam.. I hear the sites are nice and window shopping is AWESOME!! My next vote is Brazil..Of course during the carnival!!

I sent Roger a response to the locations that he asked about and really its just a waste for me to say anything. USSSA is going to put it where they make the most money and thats somewhere out east.

JBsoftball4

Softball Gigolos
I have talked to both Roger and Jeff Miller about this quite a few times. Vegas is out of the question not because of the heat but because of the cost to rent the complex. They charge around $50 per field per game. Vegas doesn't need the tourist business so no need to give them a break on the use of the fields. Any complex that they would use would have to have at least 8 fields. They do not want teams traveling from complex to complex. They want everyone together. Many East Coast teams would go West, but like someone said before, those teams from FL and the surrounding area that drive to PCB will not travel to attend. PCB treats USSSA Military very good. They pretty much give Roger those fields for the weekend. I will be very surprised if we are not back in PCB next year.

Deez19

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems that folks aren't very creative with their travel plans. Places like PCB, Myrtle beach and the like, which are the size of a quarter, are going to cost more to fly into. But, if you look at say Columbia, Florence etc,which are less than 2 hours away, will cost a ton less. If your flying, you probably budgeted a rental so put it to use and drive a little bit and save a ton of cash. Just a thought anyway. Also, we all know in just under a year from now a military worlds is going to be played. It would seem that the location isn't set just yet but we all know it's coming. Chances are, it isn't going to be free...so start your fundraising now...put a couple bucks a month away each month, whatever to have the cash your going to need come next August. If you plan far enough in advance the trip can be had on a budget. It just takes looking at the 300 meter target and not just the 50 meter one.

As far as locations, if you only take the ones listed, Myrtle beach is a darn good choice. There are places to fly into on a budget. Tons of hotels, restaurants, activities for single folks and families etc that are cheaper than most beach towns....aaaannnnnnddddd most importantly the fields are top notch. All turf but the mound and batters box, rain sleet or snow games can still be played, 320 fields, lots of space to put up pop up tents to hang out with old friends, just an all round darn good place to play and hang out. The weather is just like PCB, save the rain. Warm, well maybe hot with some humidity but not unbearable at all.

Carlos-Martinez

Starting Player
Euless is basically Dallas (its major suburb). that would be great central location and the city of Euless is very close to DFW airport.

All major hotels and hotel chains in the area along with restaurants, strip clubs, tourism sights and close enough for eveyrone to go see the atrocity that is the Dallas Cowgirls new stadium in Arlington.

(i am a Dallas native but Cowboys hater)

JTF#12

Starting Player
Myrtle Beach is good because of the turf fields, they did the WSL Military worlds there this year and it was a good time. Virginia Beach has a very nice 8 field complex and are building a brand new 8 field complex across the street from the old one so 16 be would be even better. PCB is always fun if you make it a family vacation, and i have never played in TX but im sure 4 fields will not be enough. Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach would be my top 2 choices yes because there close to home but also there set up to handle such a big tournament and not to mention our new military director is here in VB......

Last edited:
Myrtle Beach is good because of the turf fields, they did the WSL Military worlds there this year and it was a good time. Virginia Beach has a very nice 8 field complex and are building a brand new 8 field complex across the street from the old one so 16 be would be even better. PCB is always fun if you make it a family vacation, and i have never played in TX but im sure 4 fields will not be enough. Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach would be my top 2 choices yes because there close to home but also there set up to handle such a big tournament and not to mention our new military director is here in VB......

The complex at Virginia Beach is quite nice, but could the surrounding area handle 75+ teams? I was just there this last weekend for SNA Nationals and even off season there were a lot of places booked full.