2017 Nighthawk Review

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
Bat: 27oz 2017 USSSA Mizuno Nighthawk Roboload (brand new in wrapper)
Dimensions: approx 310' all around from where we were hitting
Time: Dusk
Temps: 10/12 C or 50/55 F
Slight wind in our face 10 or 15 MPH
Ball: Mostly old used 52/300's with the odd harder ball mixed in

My review:

Appearance:
Like we've come to expect from Mizuno, the 2017 bats have very clean, slick lines and are tasteful graphics. The USSSA Roboload is mostly black with grey accents, it's nice. I personally would like a splash of vibrant color mixed in, but on a whole I do like the design a lot.

Handle/Grip:
It could be optics however it seems the handle is a little thinner this year. I like this a lot, if you don't like it then build it up with tape.

I loved the grip last year, however it wasn't very durable and after a few BPs it would get destroyed. I defaulted to tape just because I knew the grip wouldn't last. This year they have a new grip that has great tack however seems a lot more durable.

Weighting:
Coming to Mizuno from Easton was a transition for me at the plate. The Mizuno bats definitely had softer and more responsive barrels and I loved that. However, I really love the Easton swing weight/ loading and how their bats came through the hitting zone. In 2016 Mizuno had a more conservative end load. In 2017 the end load is more pronounced and is much more obvious than last year however it's not aggressively in your face where it might scare away some people.

Barrel:
This bat was brand new when we began and we had no problem getting the ball to carry over a 310 fence. It was very responsive right from the beginning and we could feel it open up already in the 100 or so swings we took with it. Its difficult to say how good this will get, the balls we were using were terrible and the bat was brand new. I was incredibly impressed how well it performed under these circumstances and I suspect when fully broken in this will be a rocket launcher that spits hot fire.

We compression tested the bat after we were done our BP and it was coming in at 235/240. The 2017 Mizuno Nighthawk is game ready right out of the wrapper.

The 2016 Mizuno Nighthawk was one of the top bats in softball that most people didn't know about. Mizuno has listened to their customer's and made the appropriate changes for 2017 to make it even better. If you haven't given the nighthawk a chance, talk to a local rep and we will get one in your hands!!

We will be doing plenty of testing in the tunnels and I'll update this as we go. I've attached video of us hitting the bat. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

RG43

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
Good stuff, thanks for posting. Looking forward to trying one out in a few months.

THESHOE

Starting Player
New Hawk is very very nice.

Noticeable EL now. Thinner handle is a nice touch. Swings nice.

Same great pop and stiff handle that made it a top bat last year. Demos were all pretty new and hitting very well.

Looks awesome now in Black. Can't wait to have mine and swing it more.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
IMG_3429_zpstwklv3mh.jpg

235 after 1 BP

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
Took the wrapper off my 26oz, Gray USSSA balanced NH tonight. It was approximately 75 degrees. Hitting a mixture of ZN's, Trump ISA and Freedom, Dudley ASA balls. I must say for taking the wrapper off the balls were exiting very well. Bat swings very balanced and smooth through the zone. I didn't have a chance to weigh the bat, but IMO it feels more balanced than last year's yellow balanced Utrip model. It didn't feel as stiff and had a nice sweet spot, I think I even felt a slight flex upon contact. I would not hesitate to pull the wrapper off and use it in a game or tourney. Like in Chudder's video, the bat has a sweet sound. If you have been waiting to try a Nighthawk, do it. I am thinking about trying a Roboload dual stamp for ASA.

scho3

The Veteran
I would hold off on the ASA for a bit. This is what happened to mine on the first 10 swings. Also, the ASA is pretty stiff out of the wrapper. Far more stiff than last year's model. Same thing happened to me with last year's model. I requested the USSSA model this time to see how it performs. I do have to commend Mizuno on their excellent customer service though!

IMG_20170207_194532_182.jpg

Geezer000

Addicted to Softballfans
I would hold off on the ASA for a bit. This is what happened to mine on the first 10 swings. Also, the ASA is pretty stiff out of the wrapper. Far more stiff than last year's model. Same thing happened to me with last year's model. I requested the USSSA model this time to see how it performs. I do have to commend Mizuno on their excellent customer service though!

What ball are you hitting?

Geezer000

Addicted to Softballfans
Mixed Bag... 52. 275 all the way up to 44. 375.
Up here in Canada we have noticed that unless you're hitting 52 300 the asa bats will break prematurely with anything harder than 52 300. The barrel is quite a bit stiffer and when you mix in harder balls with the thin Barrel they snap easy. It's not just the Nighthawk, we also prematurely broke an asa Mamba and no doubt using 44/ 375

scho3

The Veteran
I could see that...we were indoors in Alabama at about 60F degrees outside. I just assumed 375 would be fine since they are ISA approved as well.

WillW3

Starting Player
My bat came with a Warranty card and I think you only need a receipt for the return. No bar code or anything.
I never have had a problem keeping up with a barcode, but that's beside the point. It's good to know that they're coming with warranty. Maybe this year they'll get some recognition they deserve

camjo23

Addicted to Softballfans
I was told that they do have a warranty.......but $250 is best price I've gotten....Worths and Mikens are much cheaper...

Thanks for sharing these photos.

In the spring of last year I purchased an ASA bal and an ASA robo load and this exact same thing happened to both those bats in under 50 swings. The only ball I hit with those bats was 52/300.

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
If these bats break with 52/300's they are absolutely terrible. I wonder what the durability is on the usssa ones?

Geezer000

Addicted to Softballfans
We have 6 USSSA demo bats up here in Canada and we haven't broke one yet. Hitting in domes and cages that usually sit around 15-20 celcius. Have a 27 Robo with over 1500 hits that is just crazy. Not even webbing yet.

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
It appears that a lot of other manufacturer 2017 models are selling for 299.00+ . The reason the selling point price increased is due to Mizuno offering a warranty return.

I was told that they do have a warranty.......but $250 is best price I've gotten....Worths and Mikens are much cheaper...

scho3

The Veteran
Didn't have any issues with my '16, NH's. Don't anticipate having breakage issues with the 17's.

Yeah I think it is mainly the ASA's. I have seen several people with 700+ swings on the USSSA versions and they are doing fine.

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
He is referring to the Dual stamp model and if you had one of those not break, then wow, buy a lotto ticket.

My orange and white 2016 ASA, dual stamp NH has over 600+ swings on it. I have hit a mix of all balls, with no issues. Still going strong.

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
I have never paid 300.00 for a bat period.

I was simply stating that I have seen prices online by other manufacturers for 2017 bats at 299.00, none of which have been Mizuno. People want bats with returns which in most terms would be the cause for a higher retail cost.

Nobody pays 299 retail for bats. If u do I'm sorry

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
I just received my Roboload dual stamp yesterday. It seemed.to hit well for taking the wrapper off. But I will have to give my opinion after I put some additional swings on it.

I will say this, holding the 2016, orange dual stamp balanced vs the new 17 green dual stamp end load.they almost feel identical. Again, I haven't weighed these on a scale, but I have to agree this year's balanced NH (Utrip)feels more balanced than last year's balanced ASA.

Yeah I think it is mainly the ASA's. I have seen several people with 700+ swings on the USSSA versions and they are doing fine.

Last edited: