27 oz Nightmare review

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
I received my new 27 oz Nightmare today and promptly took
my tee and 100 Gold Dots, Stotes and Tattoos [44-375's] to my local playground.
50 swings slowly building up bat speed to break it in gently. After that I let loose.
The playground has a border fence that was 365' from where I was hitting. My
bucket of 25 balls had 13 or 14 that either hit the fence or short hopped it! It
was 91 degrees, humid and perfectly still.
For direct comparison I hit 10 Gold Dots with my Legit[27] and Reebok [29EL]
The Legit and the Reebok maxed out around 345'-350'
The first ball I hit with the Nightmare after that hit the fence on the fly.
So all that to say this....after just 75 swings the Nightmare is outperforming my 2 favorite bats.
Can't wait to hit it again tomorrow.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Can you post a pic of the nightmare and any bats you might have, especially any demarinis?

ruu-dog

E Rec Player
Can you post a pic of the nightmare and any bats you might have, especially any demarinis?

Why don't you just go into the nightmare thread to see pics? I hear the night are is very hot!! To bad I am not a senior able to swing them...

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Why don't you just go into the nightmare thread to see pics? I hear the night are is very hot!! To bad I am not a senior able to swing them...

I have seen picsI want to see comparison pics so I see barrel length, handle size.
I have not seen one in person so I want to know about what I would be getting.

frdvschvy

Addicted to Softballfans

Interesting. Looks SOOO much like a senior Monsta Z-Bra and the two piece Fossil (Good picture of both leaning against the wall in the background below). Out of the same Chinese factory with different paint???

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

tattooball

It may look like it and also it looks like a Demarini, but not even made in the same factory and made to my spec's. Materials used are also patent pending. If you do own Monsta I am sure you can verify that I am not in the factory you use. All bat weights have passed testing according to SSUSA new test protocol and insurance and license fee has been submitted along with test data.

frdvschvy

Addicted to Softballfans
It may look like it and also it looks like a Demarini, but not even made in the same factory and made to my spec's. Materials used are also patent pending. If you do own Monsta I am sure you can verify that I am not in the factory you use. All bat weights have passed testing according to SSUSA new test protocol and insurance and license fee has been submitted along with test data.

No affiliation with them, just have a few that I picked up on the cheap. The reviews so far sound solid and durability to boot. Watching the Nightmare closely and may end up with one in my bag at some point.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
I saw Captain Mark hitting it at the Woodlawn Club and it was performing well...another very good senior bat...good job kevin

tattooball

Bogey you know he puts on a show wherever he goes. He is one of the best 60's out there with a bat. I wish I would have thought to invite you up here when Pete, Mark, Boo, and Frank all came to hit. It was a blast and to many long balls to count.

frdvschvy

Addicted to Softballfans
frdvschvy
What are those round black cylinders that are on your work bench and in your hand?

Not a picture of me or my garage. It is a picture I found on Google that shows has a clear picture of the Monsta senior bats for comparison of shape/design. The black cylinders are Monsta's FIB (floating inner barrel) design.

pj3p

Okay up to 250 swings on the Nightmare. An Ultra II 2 piece would be broken and a Reebok Melee would have about 25 swings to go. Bat is performing very very well considering the balls I am hitting. When Dudley Hycons [52's] and Evil 52's feel like the hardest balls in the bucket, you know it is hot. I am very happy knowing I can hit this bat without worrying about it breaking right away like almost all other senior bats. I have had 2 senior bats[both MM Combats] ever make it past 500 swings. They are so soft that you can't hit with them anymore. My Nightmare will pass 500 swings by this weekend. I will update as I go.

pj3p

After hitting again this afternoon the bat now has 350 swings on it and going strong. Not bad since I received it late Saturday afternoon.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Nightmare taper actually looks nothing the Zebra in that picture. Maybe in the pictures, but I believe that pic is a still from his Youtube vid and it's a little grainy. The closest would be second from the left, but again it's a little grainy. Stands to reason all of the Monstas would have the same shape? I dunno.

A lot of attention is being placed on the shape of the taper in relation to current bats, but even the handle was made to tattoo's specs. When they say this one has a stiff handle, they mean STIFF. More rigid than aluminum. The one I swung had several thousand hits and the only thing that felt softened was the barrel, and even then we`re not talking CE soft or anything. And that handle was still nice and rigid.

bigriver00

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a fossil 2 piece and will see Pat this weekend. If he brings his Nightmare with him we can take a side by side picture

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
The shape is what I was most interested in.
In another thread I posted a question about the aerodynamics and was give a cut and paste from a textbook in response from the maker.
If it really does have a new shape I am always interested in new designs but I don't see anything that is much different in this bat.
I will wait a few months for the hype to die down and then give one a try, if I like it I will switch from my reebok, if not I will keep going with old faithful.

pj3p

Bob, the one thing that sticks out to me is how skinny the taper stays way up the bat. In my pictures the yellow combat closest to the Nightmare is a 10". The Nightmare has a very long skinny taper and at the same time it is very stiff. I took some swings with a new Helmer yesterday and it felt rubbery compared to the Nightmare.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
Bogey you know he puts on a show wherever he goes. He is one of the best 60's out there with a bat. I wish I would have thought to invite you up here when Pete, Mark, Boo, and Frank all came to hit. It was a blast and to many long balls to count.

Yeah, I hope to see some of them at worlds in vegas. Its an impressive group for sure.

pj3p

450 swings now. Of the current crop of senior bats* only the Worth Legit and the Miken Triad would still be unbroken.
The Legit would be getting too soft to use and the Triad would be just starting to break in with barely decent U trip performance.
The Nightmare is going strong and I am really impressed. By the way this thing really does kill the 52's. Kevin told me it would
and I must confess that there was some eye rolling uh huh's going on. Sorry no video my HD video camera is broken.

*I have yet to own a Dudley to test its durability.

M

MJL 00

sssssshhhhhhhh ASA bat tattooball for us guys that don't have the cool associations? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: