30oz bat: Pros & Cons

rpw019

Addicted to Softballfans
Demarini is right on in that article. There are many studies on the net stating exactly what he said. The ability to maintain bat speed after contact is what gives you the distance. Almost everyones bat speed drops dramatically at contact and the lighter the bat, the better chance of losing speed.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
The lighter you go in bat weight the more effect the ball is going to have on the swung bat AKA kickback. It doesn't matter how strong you are or how fast your swing is, the ball still has a greater kickback on a lighter bat. If you are comfortable with 26 and hit well with it stick to it, for most of you guys going up or down in weight isn't going to make a massive impact on your BBS or distance.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Demarini is right on in that article. There are many studies on the net stating exactly what he said. The ability to maintain bat speed after contact is what gives you the distance. Almost everyones bat speed drops dramatically at contact and the lighter the bat, the better chance of losing speed.

The lighter you go in bat weight the more effect the ball is going to have on the swung bat AKA kickback. It doesn't matter how strong you are or how fast your swing is, the ball still has a greater kickback on a lighter bat. If you are comfortable with 26 and hit well with it stick to it, for most of you guys going up or down in weight isn't going to make a massive impact on your BBS or distance.

The lighter bat may have more kickback, but the lighter weight doesn't have a better chance of losing speed. If that were true 90% of us would swing 30s and only the judies would swing anything lighter. You can't just ignore all the other factors. What's cracking me up is you know that most people don't swing 30's, and yet you're sitting here saying everyone should swing 30's because science said so. If it were as cut and dry as you say not only would we all be swinging 30's, but everyone would say to swing 30's.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rather than being softball scientist, just take a tee out with several different weights and swing weights, hit the same balls with each and determine for yourself what works best. There are small guys swinging heavy and big guys swinging light, more than likely each person will perform best with what they have the most confidence in.

I love this answer considering your recent posts on ASA bats. When it comes to weight, you could see better performance from confidence, but when it comes to changing performance standards it's a crock and the old ASA bats are hotter. Got it.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans

The lighter bat may have more kickback, but the lighter weight doesn't have a better chance of losing speed. If that were true 90% of us would swing 30s and only the judies would swing anything lighter. You can't just ignore all the other factors. What's cracking me up is you know that most people don't swing 30's, and yet you're sitting here saying everyone should swing 30's because science said so. If it were as cut and dry as you say not only would we all be swinging 30's, but everyone would say to swing 30's.
Never said everyone should swing 30... In fact I don't see that anywhere in my post, furthermore I encourage you to swing what you are comfortable with... All I'm trying to get at is IMO (OPINION) the more kickback you have the less likely you are going to be able to MAINTAIN that bat speed through the softball. That is all! Do I think everyone should swing 30's?... Do you see any in my sig? I still think you should swing what is comfortable for you and what you have success with. The te avaerage player on here (REC) it is still my OPINION that there isn't going to be a HUGE difference within an ounce or two. Again this is all my feeling and opinion on this. Not fact!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never said everyone should swing 30... In fact I don't see that anywhere in my post, furthermore I encourage you to swing what you are comfortable with... All I'm trying to get at is IMO (OPINION) the more kickback you have the less likely you are going to be able to MAINTAIN that bat speed through the softball. That is all! Do I think everyone should swing 30's?... Do you see any in my sig? I still think you should swing what is comfortable for you and what you have success with. The te avaerage player on here (REC) it is still my OPINION that there isn't going to be a HUGE difference within an ounce or two. Again this is all my feeling and opinion on this. Not fact!

I quoted two people. I was agreeing with you that the ball's force would have a greater impact on the lighter bat, but the rest was mostly to him. You didn't come out and say it as blatantly as him, but the fact is you're hinting at it as well. You are the first person to address comfort though and that should be noted.

We may all say that we take balance, durability, etc. into effect, but when the Ultras came out everyone would've swung one if they could keep up with the demand. I mean literally 99%. I never saw a team that had one not swing them except for less than 5 players total when the homeruns were up. We all want the hottest bat, and if the extra weight did it we'd at least move up to a 28 if not a 30.

I'm just annoyed when people make declarative scientific statements based on nothing remotely scientific. Not you, obviously, your main statement was about kickback which I agree with even if it's only assumed or perceived kickback.

murc

Weight distribution is paramount. A truly endloaded 26oz bat can due just as much damage as a balanced 30oz bat. People wonder why Utrip bats have actual endloads while they're left wondering why ASA bats are labeled 'endloaded' but do not feel as such compared to their utrip counterparts. A calculated MOI factored into the engineering of a bat can make it, or break it.

I have an entirely different theory as to why different weights work for different people though... why you see mongoloids swinging twigs and twigs swinging axes. But that's for a different discussion.

softballking

Addicted to Softballfans
For me my bat speed with a bat other then a 30oz. bat is too fast.
Pros slows my bat speed down enough to be able to crush the ball, and most of the time place the ball where I want to by where I plant my front foot during my swing.
Cons My bat swing is too fast with a lighter bat, and I usually end up popping the ball up in the infield.
I started out swinging a 28oz. bat like a lot of players, but until 2 of my softball coaches pointed out that I was comming around too fast during my swing. Thus I was hitting the ball to far infront of me popping the ball up.

Krush411

Manager
Weight distribution is paramount. A truly endloaded 26oz bat can due just as much damage as a balanced 30oz bat. People wonder why Utrip bats have actual endloads while they're left wondering why ASA bats are labeled 'endloaded' but do not feel as such compared to their utrip counterparts. A calculated MOI factored into the engineering of a bat can make it, or break it.

I have an entirely different theory as to why different weights work for different people though... why you see mongoloids swinging twigs and twigs swinging axes. But that's for a different discussion.

Bump to hear your theory.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I can't think of any cons to using a heavy bat.... unless you're simply not strong enough to swing it in the first place.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I can't think of any cons to using a heavy bat.... unless you're simply not strong enough to swing it in the first place.
Hate to disagree with you but the con for me is I outdistance my 27 and 28's with my 30's (except for this year). Putting all theory aside I go by on field performance. I have had 27 or 28's and 30's of the same model over the years and my 30's always outdistanced my lighter bats.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
bats today are weighted differently than in the past. 30oz bats today if made are just weighted the extra oz in the handle. its not an even distribution throughout the length of the bat or even just in the endcap. so you are not whipping more weight through the ball technically with the barrel. so i guess just use whats a comfortable balance and you'll be fine.

FIZGIG

Dead fish go with the flow!!!!
bats today are weighted differently than in the past. 30oz bats today if made are just weighted the extra oz in the handle. its not an even distribution throughout the length of the bat or even just in the endcap. so you are not whipping more weight through the ball technically with the barrel. so i guess just use whats a comfortable balance and you'll be fine.
Really? I have an 30oz Easton that has 4oz end load.

Joker

all that means is that there is 4oz in the endcap. the rest of the weight can be distributed elsewhere. its not like they took a normal 26oz bat and put 4oz in the endcap

lukeamdman

Over the last 10 years of playing I've gamed 26, 27, 28, and 30oz bats (all end-loaded). Historically I've hit more consistently and with more distance with a 28 than anything else so I just stick with it.

Just yesterday in BP I was switching between a 28oz and 30oz DC-41 hitting only Evil Rockets. What was interesting to me is that I hit a few more HR with the 30 than the 28, but all the HR with the 28 were further in distance. I felt like a slight miss-hit with a 30 still had a tad more distance because of the extra weight/energy, but when connecting really well with both I had a little more bat speed with the 28?

LuDan

Addicted to Softballfans
No no...please continue. Reading this is way better than listening to my boss right now.

Dont stop...keep talking about how swinging 30s is bad...good...science...energy......

and go....