5,3,1 powerlifting

Darracq

I am going to follow the 5,3,1 for powerlifters reps. I wont do a shoulder day as mine are junk. I am going to try to stay on tues,thurs,sat I have some knee and back issues also, i am a mess lol. I am 180 lbs and just over 6 foot still a bean pole. This is the most i have ever weighed lol. I was a lot stronger when i was 165, but my body feel apart lol. I hope i can get strong again. This Day felt very good though.

will look like this.

tues bench
thurs squat
sat bench
tues deadlift
thur bench

This wasf my 3rd bench day,

bench
170x5
190x3
215x8 sliped a little on bench, think i had at least one more rep before i lost my groove
235x1 single, i started with a 245 max, this went up pretty good for being tired.

db incline press
2x10 with 45`s

db incline chest supported rows
3x10 with 45s.
My cardio sucks i am shot.

Jake 99

Living the dream!
I am going to follow the 5,3,1 for powerlifters reps. I wont do a shoulder day as mine are junk. I am going to try to stay on tues,thurs,sat I have some knee and back issues also, i am a mess lol. I am 180 lbs and just over 6 foot still a bean pole. This is the most i have ever weighed lol. I was a lot stronger when i was 165, but my body feel apart lol. I hope i can get strong again. This Day felt very good though.

will look like this.

tues bench
thurs squat
sat bench
tues deadlift
thur bench

This wasf my 3rd bench day,

bench
170x5
190x3
215x8 sliped a little on bench, think i had at least one more rep before i lost my groove
235x1 single, i started with a 245 max, this went up pretty good for being tired.

db incline press
2x10 with 45`s

db incline chest supported rows
3x10 with 45s.
My cardio sucks i am shot.

How are you programming all the bench work in? Seems like you would cycle up to your 1 week much faster for bench than squat or dead. Also have you tried overhead pressing....for me nothing kills my shoulders like benching!

Darracq

I have always had good luck benching every 4-5 days, My next day will be a deload so i think it will work out well. Ill just see how it goes, i just can wait 7 days to bench lol. My chest and shoulders are sore as heck today,

I am not really sure what i am going to do on lower day, i am really liking the looks of cross fit, my cardio is horible. I need to do some thinking.

I have tried to shoulder press a lot of times, it just kills my shoulders, gives me a lot of pain in the joint, i got problems in there but thats just the way it is, ON bench i have to keep my elbows tucked and close to my sides.

I do some lateral raises and band pull aparts from different angles,

Darracq

Ok i dont think i am going to follow 5,3,1 on my squat and dead days, I am just going to go by feel untill softball season is over.

today i did a bunch of front squats and cleans

up to a few sets of 3 with 165 and a few singles with 185 i was going super deep, never went that low before felt good though, It did feel better on knees, my wrists were killing me on a few reps and my dam bony collar bone hurts when i rest the bar on it lol.

Jake 99

Living the dream!
Ok i dont think i am going to follow 5,3,1 on my squat and dead days, I am just going to go by feel untill softball season is over.

today i did a bunch of front squats and cleans

up to a few sets of 3 with 165 and a few singles with 185 i was going super deep, never went that low before felt good though, It did feel better on knees, my wrists were killing me on a few reps and my dam bony collar bone hurts when i rest the bar on it lol.

using straps or the cross hand grip will help the wrist pain...as for the collar bone, try to get the bar in to your throat as you can. When I get set up right it's kinda hard to beath!

Darracq

using straps or the cross hand grip will help the wrist pain...as for the collar bone, try to get the bar in to your throat as you can. When I get set up right it's kinda hard to beath!

Ya i was getting the bar to my throat most sets, i have a pad but its pretty thick and makes it hard to hold bar, i might try a towel wrapped around a couple times, my legs are sore and fried today. I tried to do some cross fit stuff later in the day for cadio, only made it one round and was smoked lol.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Ya i was getting the bar to my throat most sets, i have a pad but its pretty thick and makes it hard to hold bar, i might try a towel wrapped around a couple times, my legs are sore and fried today. I tried to do some cross fit stuff later in the day for cadio, only made it one round and was smoked lol.

I wouldn't suggest a pad as it pushes the bar further away from your body and makes it harder to balance. When I do it the bar is mostly resting on my delts.

Darracq

I wouldn't suggest a pad as it pushes the bar further away from your body and makes it harder to balance. When I do it the bar is mostly resting on my delts.

It kills my delts to, there sore where the bar was sitting, just have to suck it up i guess lol.

Darracq

deload bench.
105x5
115x5
135x5

couple sets of snatch with 95
burpies x15 straight to pull ups x 10
pull ups x 9

man i am in horible shape lol. Breathing like i ran 10 miles.

Darracq

snatch 95 couple sets

clean 135

deadlift
95 x 3
145x2
185x1

deep front squat
95x2
145x2
165x2
175x1
190x2

I got drilled in the back of the leg pitching, hamstring kind of cramping so i didnt go very heavy on deads. front squats felt good. Was also sick sunday,and not sure if i am over it.

dgambill85

Banned User
I"m going to say that you need to expand your workout to really hit every part of each muscle group. I will say that with shoulders most people don't need to hit the front delts due to the fact that they go crazy on chest day with all the presses. Instead use shoulder day to hit the middle head and rear delt as well as taking care of your rotator cuffs. I will say implement good mornings and hip sled to really pound out the legs. Kuddos for doing front squats. That is a very good lift that many people don't do because many don't know about it.

Darracq

I"m going to say that you need to expand your workout to really hit every part of each muscle group. I will say that with shoulders most people don't need to hit the front delts due to the fact that they go crazy on chest day with all the presses. Instead use shoulder day to hit the middle head and rear delt as well as taking care of your rotator cuffs. I will say implement good mornings and hip sled to really pound out the legs. Kuddos for doing front squats. That is a very good lift that many people don't do because many don't know about it.

I have been doing some bent rows and pull ups that i lean back on to hit back of shoulders more, I dont have a sled i lift at home, i am used to super low volume so my conditioning I sucks, after softball season i will try to really hit it. I am a lot weaker than i was 2 years ago, but hope to get back there is my old body will hold up lol.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Just my opinion, but since he's training for strength he doesn't need to be doing bodybuilding style muscle splits. The shoulders get plenty of work from row type movements and pull ups enough to not need more unless you're focused on "capping" your delts.

But I do suggest keeping a 2:1 pulling to pressing ratio since he plays an over hand sport.

Darracq

Just my opinion, but since he's training for strength he doesn't need to be doing bodybuilding style muscle splits. The shoulders get plenty of work from row type movements and pull ups enough to not need more unless you're focused on "capping" your delts.

But I do suggest keeping a 2:1 pulling to pressing ratio since he plays an over hand sport.

I need to figure out a way to do some chest suppored rows, I can do with with dumbells but i want to use a bar,my low back is tight and sore all the time, so its hard to do bent rows.

Darracq

Still fighting this stomach crap. didnt feel that good from the start,

bench cycle 2

165x3
185x3
210x8 wanted 10 but wasnt happening today

side shoulder rasies super setted with push downs with green band

5x10 no rest.

To tired for anything else, no singles today.

Darracq

Feeling better today and wanted to do a little deadlifting.

warmed up too
275x1
275x1

still legged with dumbells.

woke up dizzy and crap so i didnt want to put to much pressure on my head lol, so i didnt go very heavy, but felt good.

Darracq

Wanted to go heavier today

warmed up to

190x2
235 x3
235x2

hand stand push ups mm band for a little help x 7

pull ups
bwx5
+10 x 5
layed back x 5

rows.

I round of

hand stand push ups, db thrusters with 45`s in each hand x 6, burpies x 6 cant breath. went to heavy on thrusters, these are a deep squat with a push press at the top. My indurance is horible.

Last night at my game i was mashing pretty good, 4 for 4 with 2 bombs one was a monster lol. Even though I am not as strong i am hitting the ball as hard as ever.

Darracq

yesterday did deadlifts

135x2
185x1
205x1
255x1
305x1
325x1 had a little tweek in my back so i quit, A few hours later, but back tightened up and is sore.So i guess i did something. There is one little spot in my low back that keeps giving my problems. I used very good form on 325 kept hips low, i felt real strong almost did a double, but didnt want to push my back and glad i didnt now.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
For squats, there used to be an attatchment called a "manta". It clipped onto the bar, it was shaped like a manta ray and rested comfortably on your shoulders/delts. Only one or two gyms I ever went to had one but I am sure you could find one with a little searching. Though your main goal may be strength training, I would still recommend working out each muscle group (ie. shoulders). True, they do get a workout with some of your other pulls and presses, however the full range of motion will not be achieved. An entire day does not need to be dedicated to shoulders, it can be combined with back or chest. Also, if increasing strength is your goal, you may want to replace a chest workout 3 times in 10 days, with a leg workout at that frequency.

Darracq

upper

close grip incline
95x5
135x3
155x3
170x1
190x1
205x1

hand stand push ups
x7 with mm helping band was sliping off not much help on last 2 reps.
x1 lost balance on 2nd rep, no band helping.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
For squats, there used to be an attatchment called a "manta". It clipped onto the bar, it was shaped like a manta ray and rested comfortably on your shoulders/delts. Only one or two gyms I ever went to had one but I am sure you could find one with a little searching. Though your main goal may be strength training, I would still recommend working out each muscle group (ie. shoulders). True, they do get a workout with some of your other pulls and presses, however the full range of motion will not be achieved. An entire day does not need to be dedicated to shoulders, it can be combined with back or chest. Also, if increasing strength is your goal, you may want to replace a chest workout 3 times in 10 days, with a leg workout at that frequency.

Could you explain what you mean by that?

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Certainly! As you had mentioned, his shoulders do get worked in as a secondary muscle in his rows and pull-ups. I would recommend to maybe not spend an entire day on working out solely shoulders, combine with a back or chest day and do some side lifts also, some step lifts and presses; lifts, rows and presses on the bosu (thanks to whoever knew the name!) ball, work the entire range of the shoulder as a primary muscle even if it is combined with something else. It's the same reason you don't do just flat bench, or straight curls, or squats. Other exercises need to be performed, there is no magic ONE!

dgambill85

Banned User

Very true. I start my Arnold week this week 5x5. Great for strength gains. I never thought about the pull exercises
Hitting the rear shoulder before good point. Ill have to check my own routine to really see how that's affecting my own gains.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Gambill, your own routine?? I didnt even know you went to the gym..... Definitely cant tell.

Darracq

lower

front squat
95x5
135x1
165x1
185x1
225x1
225x1
225x1

pull thoughs with green band.

rows

pull ups
bwx12

Darracq

quick upper day.

bench
95x5
135x3
170x1
205x1
225x1
245x3 pr with this grip
225x4

some db overhead tri ext
light push press,
not much energy today, hit some bp yesterday and havent been eating that great.

tom15

Old school stickin'!
not that it amounts to a hill of beans, but I met the architect of the 5/3/1 program, Jim wendler last week.