A Softball B-Rec league No hitter than makes the paper?

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
A Softball B-Rec league No hitter that makes the paper?

I know this is an old story from 2012 but still pretty cool nonetheless.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/community/tampa-pitcher-lobs-slow-pitch-softball-perfect-game/1241434

David Gandy is only 27 years old, but he should officially retire from slow-pitch softball. It's unlikely he will duplicate what he did Thursday night.

Gandy pitched a perfect game for his city of Tampa "B" league rec team, the Sea Turtles, at Eddie Lopez Field in Seminole Heights. No hits, no walks, no errors in a 20-0, five-inning game that was shortened by the 10-run mercy rule.

That's 15 batters up, 15 down. Nobody on the Hub Rat Pack reached first base.

"You never expect that to happen," Gandy said. "It was all good defense. They hit the ball right at our guys, and everyone was making plays."

What usually happens in slow-pitch softball, where high-arching pitches await batters, is plenty of hits and runs. Shutouts are rare. No-hitters even more rare. And perfect games are once-in-a-lifetime.

And this is not one of those "D" leagues with guys who have never played before. Gandy is a former pitcher at Plant High and several of his Panthers teammates are on his softball team.

"It's a very competitive league," said Gandy, who quit his job as a civil engineer more than four years ago to become a professional poker player. "We've even lost to this team before. They are definitely a legitimate team."

Outfielder Jamie Conner, 27, is a former Plant classmate of Gandy's and has been playing softball with him on this team for three years. As each out was recorded, he couldn't believe what was going on.

"Never seen anything like that," Conner said. "We're not out there to strike people out. It's a recreational league. The whole point is to put the ball in play and run the bases and score. It's a scoring league. When you shut somebody out, that's rare. To not have anyone get on base, that's unreal. That just doesn't happen."

Joe Bendekovits has been umpiring baseball and softball games since 1956. He has been umpiring Tampa rec league softball games for 25 years. He was behind the plate Thursday night. A perfect game in slow-pitch softball was a first for him.

"I've never seen it," Bende*kovits said. "Nobody has ever seen it. They were hitting balls right at guys. And lots of popups."

In baseball, protocol is not to go near the pitcher if he has a no-hitter going. That protocol was out the window by the second inning Thursday night.

"If it's a real baseball game, it's a known thing that you don't talk to the pitcher," Conner said. "But in the second inning, we were already saying, 'Dave, you got a no-hitter going.' Then somebody said, 'Dude, you got a perfect game going.' We thought we might have jinxed it. But it wasn't until the game was over that we looked at each other and said, 'Holy cow, he actually threw a perfect game.' "

Gandy, a left-hander who said he threw a no-hitter as a sophomore at Plant, said he laughed every time a teammate brought up the no-hitter. He considered it crazy talk. But when the last out was recorded, he shook his head in disbelief.

"We celebrated a little bit, and the other team actually celebrated, too," Gandy said. "We couldn't believe it."

Last edited:

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I wonder how many drinks the other team had the night before....Its not like baseball where guys averages are in the 200s.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
It's obvious to me that a someone on the team that pitched the perfect game was the editor of the paper... Only way it gets in the paper is if someone on the team was

KannonsDad

**** you
97623176aad9029509627cfe7d0cdecb_zpssctpjuur.gif

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't you mean "THEN MAKES THE PAPER"? Then - adverb - Next in order or immediately after. As opposed to Than - conjunction - used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference. Kids and their ****ed up grammar

Ballisttic

Star Player
I know its just slow pitch softball but i pitched a 30-0 4 inning no hitter tonight in my first game. The next game we won 26-25 in over time.

I dont think my no hitter is going to make the papers :mad:

It was coed/rec if you was wondering. I did think about this thread when i was out there pitching.

dbantz

Manager
I know its just slow pitch softball but i pitched a 30-0 4 inning no hitter tonight in my first game. The next game we won 26-25 in over time.

It was coed/rec if you was wondering. I did think about this thread when i was out there pitching.

How does overtime work in softball?

scoopmachine11

If u dont know,now u know

The referees let you play overtime?

Ballisttic

Star Player
Every part of the game was the same except both teams started with a runner at second in each over time/ extra inning. We thought after time ran out it would end in a tie but the umps said no there will not be any ties.

Thats it, the umps made us play.

Last edited:

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Last year a pitcher on one of the tournament teams i play for tossed a no hitter in a tournament. We didnt have a celebration...

chedched

Coach
Every part of the game was the same except both teams started with a runner at second in each over time/ extra inning. We thought after time ran out it would end in a tie but the umps said no there will not be any ties.

Thats it the umps made up play.

pretty sure he was being sarcastic. They are called extra innings.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
So are we talking a sudden death overtime or does the other team get a chance to score from the 25 yard line?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
When I was a few years younger I pitched 1 1/2 no hitters. The half was a game I split with another pitcher and between us we had a no hitter.

The one thing I say about no hitters or shut outs is total credit goes to the defense. I don't care how good a pitcher you are without a great defense your just another guy throwing the ball into the plate to be hit.

Ballisttic

Star Player
When I was a few years younger I pitched 1 1/2 no hitters. The half was a game I split with another pitcher and between us we had a no hitter.

The one thing I say about no hitters or shut outs is total credit goes to the defense. I don't care how good a pitcher you are without a great defense your just another guy throwing the ball into the plate to be hit.

100% agree there was a few hard hit shot right to me and i caught them also my team mates made some nice plays. I just threw a first pitch strike then hit the out side corner on the batters and got alot of ground balls to the ss and some pop ups to the 1b/2b area.

Except for the first pitch i threw nothing down the middle.