ACL Injury

lewbo

Starting Player
My new year is starting with an ACL injury from skiing looking at surgery soon. I am looking for feedback from anyone who had a similar injury on recovery time and experience. Did you return to before injury level? I am 53 if that matters.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
We have a lot of ACL's from skiing around here. It is not the death sentence it once was, but hopefully you have a good experienced surgeon. Due to age, maybe it takes a little longer, but this year is over for you. A good surgery and dedicated PT regimen and maybe next year you can see how it goes but I wouldn't go balls out. But on the bright side, you may likely be able to predict the weather from here on.

tkr18

Addicted to Softballfans
Even with the "all cases are different" blah-blah, Stork is probably right. I was 51 when I blew up my ACL, a few years ago. I had a cadaver replacement, so it helped a little in the recovery time. Surgery was in mid-November, non-home PT started about 30 days after surgery, 2-3x/week until May. I did get not get back on the field until after the 4th of July and did not "run" the bases until fall ball in September. Take as much PT as your insurance will cover or you can afford. Push but be methodical not crazy. You may think only your knee or even the injured leg needs rehab, but it is amazing how quickly things can get out of synch. Take care of yourself, no one else will

stork

Yes, I was obviously generalizing. I am not a doctor, but I play one on SB forums.

And don't get wrapped up in those pain pills.

meat13

Addicted to Softball
I tore mine in June 2009 at 42. Cadaver ligament. Surgery in October. Hit pt hard and my therapist pushed me. Was back playing and running the bases in may 2010. Obviously with the full length Breg brace. Wore that until the next season. Everyone recovers differently. The longer you wait for surgery theonger until you get back.

FreddieBallgame

Addicted to Softballfans
most don't have the resources of pro athletes, it takes time to get back out there and even longer to truly recover to some level close to "before"....
watch the diet and putting on weight...
do as much pt as your healthcare allow$ and after that try to motivate yourself to keep it up on your own as much as you can.. ..
hopefully your doc will clue you in on the immediate side effects from the pain meds (constipation) ... but after i stopped using them i had one that i wasn't expecting, a long term sleep issue which i was able to finally correct after many months of nightly melatonin, 5mgs...
good luck with the deductibles.....

stork

Oh, and rent the Game Ready ice machine post-surgery. It may be a little extra cost, but everyone swears by it.