any tips for hitting Unlimited Arch pitches?

muddyedgar

Star Player
I usually play utrip and some ASA, but this past weekend I was invited to play a Unlimited Arch tourney. This was my first time playing Unlimited Arch. All the pitches were consistently 25-30' high. I was terrible, I couldn't hit anything. I went 3 for 15 (3 hard line drives & 12 pop-ops). Luckily I was able to contribute with my defense & we at least made it to the playoffs. But my hitting was TERRIBLE!!!

Any tips for hitting High Arch pitches?

MPT23

Putting on the foil
Hope the pitcher is off that day. Get ahead 3-1 and be ready for the meatball. Also, what hiltz said. ^^^^^^^

KorE

I will stand a little further off the plate. Those high an deep are hard for me to get my hands around when its coming strait down

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Haven't played unlimited but one of my leagues rarely calls high pitches, 15-16' isn't uncommon. As stated stand further away from the plate. You can always move to the ball, but when it drops inside it's harder to pull away and get the barrel on it. And hit the ball, not the arc. Resist the urge to uppercut.

lx_2nv

Coach
I played an unlimited arc tourney this weekend. I stood back and far from the plate. Wait for it and go back side. If they have to hit a mat make them put a strike on you - unless that first pitch is a meatball. Just takes practice.

blakcherry329

I absolutely hate unlimited. ijs..
Stand off the plate and back. Level swing. Be patient.
Having said that, whenever I play Unlimited, I lead the team in walks. Not even trying to swing the bat. lol

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Very simple-blast the middle! If the pitcher thinks it's so much fun to play the batters by pitching rediculously high put a ball past his head at 100 mph, that will bring the ball down in a hurry.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't seen unlimited arc ball around NJ since the 70's (Jersey City) but wait on the ball. Don't be anxious and go reaching for the pitch and swing level. Standing back in the box will help.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Your logic is flawless. I do bowl, and I don't walk the box. Coincidence? I think not.
haha!
I do if the pitch is short.... Just never found it to be a big deal. Maybe for some with a more baseball style swing it could be trouble.

sjury

The Old Man
Wait....
Don't try to blast a homerun, until you've got it down...
Go oppo...
Don't dip and use your eyes to track the ball not your head and shoulders...

Original Donkey

Older, yet still fast
Honestly, there is merit to swinging with a good sized dip to your swing, but you have to be able to go oppo with it. Almost a 45degree angle down, wait until that ball is down by the knees for contact. Results in a lot of line drives.... not bombs though. If that pitcher is throwing the 16 footers first to get a strike, you have to go for it. You don't want to wait until you got a strike on you and then he can launch the 25' rainbow.