Anyone ever do a 225xrep max for a switch

Steve2517

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone know where theres any info on how people train for 225 max reps. Doing this purely to switch up training with my lifting partners. Do it every other chest workout Currently doing 7s 5s and 3s for strength on other day We did incline first heavy then did flat 185 for ten to warm up then 225 for two sets. My best set of two was 13 reps, which compared to NFL tests I've read results of humbled me. Anyway any advice for training this for fun on a light day for endurance purposes would be great. Thanks.

RagingHomer

Addicted to Softballfans
Work into your routine close-grip bench. It will help get you stronger on the bench press over all. When i wanted to do max lifts and endurance i trained hard on the close grip and it help a great deal having the extra push in the triceps to help me push through some plateaus on the bench.

Buzzard

Addicted to Softballfans
I train either 5/3/1 or 5X5 about 65% of the time, then I'll switch to some volume training (lighter weights/more reps) for a coupla weeks. I trying to burn out on 225 every now and again. I think the volume stuff helps with my endurance. I've hit 225 for 27 reps after working up to 405+.

So keep working at getting strong and mix in some volume every now and again and you'll improve.

Steve2517

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks. Ya I've been working on strength a descent amount and also my close grip is actually easier feeling for me than benching and is a stronger lift for me. My arms are stronger than my shoulders and chest I'm thinking.

acm807

Addicted to Softballfans
weighted dips really helped my bench.

i would suggest doing a heavy week, then a high volume week following that.

resistant bands during your bench also helps out as well. helps you get past that sticking point.

and if your really worried about increasing your flat bench, i'd do that first (over the incline)

Nietzsche

Drowned God
225 lbs for 17 reps yesterday.

I don't drop it all the way down to the chest because the shoulders cannot take the strain.

Buzzard

Addicted to Softballfans

i would suggest doing a heavy week, then a high volume week following that.

resistant bands during your bench also helps out as well. helps you get past that sticking point.

and if your really worried about increasing your flat bench, i'd do that first (over the incline)

+++ on the dips. And make sure to add weight. It's crazy how adding weight isn't that much more difficult than without adding.

As for the heavy week/volume week alternating? I disagree... I'd train heavy for at lest 3 weeks (if not 4-6) before going to volume. JMO...

Steve2517

Addicted to Softballfans
Buzzard, when you do you're 5x5 are they all failing on 5th rep ? Also how long do you hit the volume for. Do you ever do 3x3 ? If so are those all to failure also. I've noticed since softball has been over and my lifting schedule is back on track that my strength is going up quite a bit and just hitting some balls for fun lately, ive noticed that the strength increase has directly improved my hiting power.

Buzzard

Addicted to Softballfans
Buzzard, when you do you're 5x5 are they all failing on 5th rep ? Also how long do you hit the volume for. Do you ever do 3x3 ? If so are those all to failure also. I've noticed since softball has been over and my lifting schedule is back on track that my strength is going up quite a bit and just hitting some balls for fun lately, ive noticed that the strength increase has directly improved my hiting power.

5X5 or 3X3 (5/3/1) my weights come directly from percentages of my 1RM (max). Some times the weight is easier than other times. It wouldn't necessarily always be to failure, but it's hard and the last set of any should be to failure (as many as you can get).

As for volume training? It varies for me depending on where I am as far as goals.... Typically, it's going to take me 5-6 weeks to get through my 5/3/1 completely incuding the de-loading part of the training. So once I complete that I may go and train for volume for 2-3 weeks and as much as 5-6 weeks total. I may also take a week off completely in there and I will go through and try a 1RM for each left as well. So basically anywhere from 6-10 weeks between heavy training cycles.

eHall

Base burglar
Most I have done is 225*16 a few months back. And that is all the way to the chest. All reps would count in NfL style test but not in a bench press comp where you have to pause when you touch chest.

if you aren't hitting your chest it doesn't count. not saying you should push the shoulders, but you didnt "bench" 225 17 times.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
if you aren't hitting your chest it doesn't count. not saying you should push the shoulders, but you didnt "bench" 225 17 times.

I'm not going for some kind of record. Taking cues from my body and not my ego is the best approach.

Yesterday I benched 100 lbs dbs for db presses at 10 reps and 5 sets. Also did 100 pull ups broken up into 8 sets.

Real life, right now numbers.

eHall

Base burglar
If you are testing your strength in this way, quantity of full reps are what matter. Whether you are bouncing it off chest, barely locking them out, or pausing at bottom, it doesn't matter.

Going halfway down is not a rep however.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans

)

this is what caused my shoulder injuries. being 300+ and adding 50-100lbs
I don't drop it all the way down to the chest because the shoulders cannot take the strain.

I now use a 5" board for my flat bench. bring weight down touch and blast up. I can lift as heavy as I can go now and My shoulders have quit hurting. Holding off on surgery:D

PracticeSquad7

Addicted to Softballfans

Bringing the bar all the way to your chest is actually not as good as going to 90* - purely speaking from a biomechanical perspective. When you go past 90* you are putting an incredible amount of strain on your shoulders, and until you get to 90* (bringing up from your chest) you are using more anterior delts and tris anyway. If you want to target the chest bringing the bar down until your arms are at 90*, stopping, and powering back up is a better way. 90* is about 3-4" off my chest for the record.

Best lift for me in developing my chest is declines. I hit them hard both barbell and dumbbell, and then do dumbbell flat bench with my back on one of those half exercise ball things. Helps you go to only 90* and also a lot with your stabilizer muscles.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
Bringing the bar all the way to your chest is actually not as good as going to 90* - purely speaking from a biomechanical perspective. When you go past 90* you are putting an incredible amount of strain on your shoulders, and until you get to 90* (bringing up from your chest) you are using more anterior delts and tris anyway. If you want to target the chest bringing the bar down until your arms are at 90*, stopping, and powering back up is a better way. 90* is about 3-4" off my chest for the record.

Best lift for me in developing my chest is declines. I hit them hard both barbell and dumbbell, and then do dumbbell flat bench with my back on one of those half exercise ball things. Helps you go to only 90* and also a lot with your stabilizer muscles.

I'm just a hair past 90 with my 5" board:)

Nietzsche

Drowned God
If you are testing your strength in this way, quantity of full reps are what matter. Whether you are bouncing it off chest, barely locking them out, or pausing at bottom, it doesn't matter.

Going halfway down is not a rep however.

Strictly speaking I agree.

That said risking a shoulder injury is not worth it. Take liberties with those joints at your own peril.

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
Some peoples range of motion is laughable, I've seen some that once they move it off the rack it just looks like they are jiggling it, then rack and parade around like a badass

Gadawgs29

Banned User
Actually going further than the bend of your elbow is doing damage to your shoulder joints. And shoulder injuries are no joke. Plus how many people you see at gym just pick up the bar and barely move it and sling it back up and call that a rep?

I always love seeing the guys rack 4 45s on each side and do butt bobs and they call it a full squat. haha Or their excuse for not going down is they have knee problems. Its like no **** Sherlock, your damaging knees by not going below 90*.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
You need to set up correctly on the bench, (high arch in the back), push shoulder blades together and push your body onto your upper back and neck with your feet, and tuck your elbows in to take the strain off your shoulders.

eHall

Base burglar
You need to set up correctly on the bench, (high arch in the back), push shoulder blades together and push your body onto your upper back and neck with your feet, and tuck your elbows in to take the strain off your shoulders.

Agreed, it takes a fairly heavy weight (275 ish) to put a ton of strain on my shoulders.

At heavy weight form generally goes out the window.