Anyone play with a short fence in their field?

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
So our field was a soccer field that was made into a softball field. Right field is very short due to a hillside. The fence is 222 feet, 8' high. This runs into right center where it meets a normal 4' fence (around 270 feet) and continues out to a normal 320ish center and 305ish left. We use league single wall bats for the men and 52/300 balls.

The problem is that the teams with a bunch of left handers can basically hit doubles at will. Some teams have complained and will bring this up for a rules change in the spring.

I've played in short fields before where the whole thing wasn't quite big enough and typically we did 2HRs and then either outs or 1 up. Since the short fence is very easy to call, we could do a 2 doubles then outs or 1 up just like HRs I guess. Anyone have a similar issue with their field?

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a league where there can be significant skill level differences between teams. We get 2 hr's and then 1 up. If you hit a hr when you don't have any to hit, it's a single. It works just fine.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Cant change RF so leave it at 222. Move left and center to 275' and switch to a wood bat league. Leftys still get a advantage but what can you do. 222 with a metal bat is a pop up going oppo. 52/300 and wood bats is better than you think. Sounds like the way it is now would be hell tracking down a fly to the right side.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't understand why teams/guys would complain about doubles on a short porch, seems to me they should probably work on defending balls hit off of the 8' fence (assuming this is what you are saying) to try and keep them to singles..
Imo if anyone can get a double hitting to the short side of the field more power to them, we play on a diamond similar (to right) 225' with 6' fence and I'm more concerned about lefty's smashing hr's easily we play 5hr and done outs if they go over after that.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Do these teams that complain about lefties also complain that lefties start one step closer to first base and right handed batters should get to run to third base instead of first base?

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Make everyone bat righty? That's a pretty good idea. :)

And by the way, the teams that complain have plenty of meatheads who hit high fly outs middle 200's to center field. If they only waited another second or two...

THESHOE

Starting Player
Learn how to hit oppo maybe?

I play in a league with this issue. Smaller park than we are all used to. They resorted since it's basic rec and 3 pitch for fun to call it 2 HRs per inning, and then it's an out. I respect this, since for many players this is their one and only league, so a 1HR rule would really suck. And it is somewhat challenging to keep it in considering their ball choice etc.

Makes it work. Now teams play to leave it for their big hitters to clean up 2-3 runs or more per shot. And will implode on each other over silly solo shots etc. So now we see it used on a quality big shot to score points, instead of repeated abuse of unfieldable balls.

Also makes it fair both ways. Short fence for all, and a nice equal rule for all. To allow it to be a GRD all day would get out of hand, especially if in fact the RF corner is shorter.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm helping out a team pitching where the fence is literally 225 feet. I hit it out with mostly an arm swing and the guys in the team get all excited. It's nice to feel like a superstar every now and then

single wally

Professional Amateur
I miss the days of hitting 250' co-rec bombs and rounding the bases with teammates cheering and calling me a beast!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
222' is short, but I don't think I'd make any drastic rule changes here. Come up with a HR limit and make them doubles or singles after that limit is reached.

And for these guys complaining about one side being shorter than the other? Buck up! A good hitter can hit HRs from line to line.

TRaj2327

Wow. 222' and people are complaining because they can't hit an oppo HR with todays bats? Get better. I think I could slap hit a ball 222'.

This sort of setup should make lefties better. Offensively the game is made for lefties and it will force guys to hit the opposite way. Slap hit and run out of the box is a huge advantage. To say lefties get a step advantage is an understatement. It's probably more like 3-4 steps when you consider their swing takes them toward first base.

Also, where is this at? I'd love to see this field on Google Earth.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
played a tourney at a LL field, fences all around were 220'. Teams were allowed 3 HRs per inning, anything after that was an out

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
280 is pretty norm around here. we played a coed leage that was 250 all around and they'd swap an 11" ball in when girls were up. every once in a while you saw a 11" ball accidentally pitched to you and you felt like a superstar demolishing that thing into oblivion.

Ballisttic

Star Player
I play in a coed league thats has 250' fields with a 20' fence. They use any asa 44/375s and asa bats with a 4 homerun limit and enning ending outs after out of homers. Our team rule is have to be atleast 2 on before a homerun is hit.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
My teams home field was at a school and was reconfigured years back so they could also start field hockey. In doing that left field was about 275 and center was about 300+ (15 high). Right field had a ten foot section of fence that stuck out that was only about 150-175. Over this section was a double as the field was only attended for girls softball. We only used kapok Clinchers and never did see anyone get it over the 15' high fence.

rybred23

Starting Player
One of my league nights is at a field that has fence in left, about 260 with 10-15ft fence, and goes out to center, 350ish. There is no fence in right center or right. Anyone who can pull the ball can hit it out. I don't think there have been any complaints from any team. It is also an unlimited hr league. Fun times!!

Markous

The Rookie
I'd love to play in a league w short fences. Everywhere I play there are no fences at all. 2-3 HRs an inning sounds like it would be a blast.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Newp. You can't see the 15' bank there right behind the fence, or the swamp that never dries out at the base. Would cost a boatload of $$$ to make it right.

mattya420

Manager
The older I get the bigger the field gets. Our 285' fields used to be "short" Now I feel like Bonds in 2001 breaking HR records

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Learn to hit oppo is the easy answer. .52's and single-walls is a very reasonable bat/ball combo. Further restricting balls would just make it harder on righties. It would further limit HR's to left, and make it harder to oppo HR's, while still being easily within the wheelhouse of even poor hitting lefties. The better answer would cost a little. Pull the whole fence in to 222' all the way around and hit clinchers/SB12's or Classic M's with wood bats. 222' is with wood and clinchers is probably about like 260-270 with more normal bats. It's still not THAT hard, but it's more reasonable. Classic M's with wood really sucks. Again, 222' isn't far, but I'm betting there would be a few guys that couldn't do it, and plenty that couldn't do it often. Finally, you could go to 16" balls. Only beasts get those to travel 270'. I have no idea how hard 222' would be.

Last edited: