Asa 6'-10'

xLongBallx

I may have a problem.....
Another reason why I HATE ASA. The new rules says that the ball must be pitched 6' off the "GROUND" to 10' off the "GROUND" our pitcher is 6'1 and while he is not the greatest pitch he can throw. Anyway almost ALL nite long blue kept calling balls "FLAT" even though the balls were clearly going atleast 1' above my pitchers head.

Anyone else experiencing this in your league?

Joker

not an ASA problem, this is a single ump problem. stop blaming the association for what 1 person does

xLongBallx

its not just 1 ump, at the managers meeting this year they stated firmly that these rules would be enforced, and now we are 10 games in and i wont say every blue but the majority are still ruling with the 12' rule

Big_Papi28

Insane Dedication to Performance #WHPH
Yes we have been having the same problem..But ours it seems like they are still calling HIGH instead of flat so basically we have a 4 to 9ft arch which is worse then having a HIGHER arch.. Alot of pitchers here have gone to masks because of it.

Joker

its not just 1 ump, at the managers meeting this year they stated firmly that these rules would be enforced, and now we are 10 games in and i wont say every blue but the majority are still ruling with the 12' rule

ok so its a local league problem, still not an association problem

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
What is it about ASA that no matter what they do people whine about it? The players are the reason that they dropped the strike zone to 6-10 to begin with. Now the same people who were saying how much they loved Utrip are whining because ASA changed their zone to be the same as Utrip. Get some better umpires or get them some training but stop blaming ASA because your local league umpires struggle with a rule change.

xLongBallx

That is actualy a really good point, i wish they had some sort of training, not just ASA but for all divisions, it would certainly help ALOT

Roundtrip

Starting Player
They should also train players while they're at it..... "I can't hit a ball that's coming so fast (20 mph) Waaaaaaaa. Can't we have tee?" For christ sakes bit**es it's slowpitch softball. Hit the damn ball, then run to base. If that's too hard then take up basket weaving or frisbee gheylf or heck keep whining about the umpires.... CLASSIC:rolleyes:

Yep, 6'-10' sucks...but it's what the players asked for, so stfu and play. You expect umpires to call Illegal pitches on 5'10" or 10' 2" pitches consistently?

I'll judge what level ball you play, by your responses....bring it!

Audiyoda

I Likee Do da Cha Cha
So....maybe the fix is to not play ASA?

We have umps that will call a 5' pitch legal and a 10' pitch illegal - then reverse it for the next batter (we have a '6 to 12' rule). Personally I don't care - I'm not there to watch a pitch go by - I'm swinging at the first pitch that's even close to my wheelhouse. It's called batting after all, not watching.

bmooreltz

Addicted to Softballfans
In our league they wont call a pitch illegal for being low unless it bounces halfway to the plate....

StumblinDrunks

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea the 6-10 sucks. Have an ump that would call everything deep. If the ball didn't land right in front of the point of the plate he would say it was deep. I love the flat pitch call. Had a shorter ump the other day and kept saying flat. Got into it with him and asked him that if he had to look up at the ball it was a 6 foot pitch. I love the pitchers who think they are great and get this look on there face every time a ball is called because a pitch is to high. I just keep pitching.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
12' didn't get changed because 12' was too high. It was the umps that made 16' pitches into strikes that made them lower it. Atleast now those umps might only stretch it to 12'.

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
6-10 now means 4.5 to 12 is good instead of 5.5 -15 in the old 6-12 ASA.
Most umps in our area told me the low ones will be let go since they are concentrating on the ceiling.

Roundtrip

Starting Player
6-10 now means 4.5 to 12 is good instead of 5.5 -15 in the old 6-12 ASA.
Most umps in our area told me the low ones will be let go since they are concentrating on the ceiling.

That's absurd, IMHO

Calling the low flat pitch is considerably easier and pretty much a no brainer for most. Any ump that cannot call the under 6' consistently shouldn't be out there. 10' is a bit more challenging, however as an umpire if they aren't consistently pushing the limit, let em' play. Over 12' is obvious and should be called.

MUTEIT400

Addicted to Softballfans
They should also train players while they're at it..... "I can't hit a ball that's coming so fast (20 mph) Waaaaaaaa. Can't we have tee?" For christ sakes bit**es it's slowpitch softball. Hit the damn ball, then run to base. If that's too hard then take up basket weaving or frisbee gheylf or heck keep whining about the umpires.... CLASSIC:rolleyes:

Yep, 6'-10' sucks...but it's what the players asked for, so stfu and play. You expect umpires to call Illegal pitches on 5'10" or 10' 2" pitches consistently?

I'll judge what level ball you play, by your responses....bring it!

Your a **** sucker......what level is that?????? for you, I'm assuming recreational..

Sinsation

Starting Player
just gotta talk to ump. i throw as high as he/she lets me. when i throw my practice pitches i always ask, high/low, deep?, and i always try to get them to give me the corners.

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
That's absurd, IMHO

Calling the low flat pitch is considerably easier and pretty much a no brainer for most. Any ump that cannot call the under 6' consistently shouldn't be out there. 10' is a bit more challenging, however as an umpire if they aren't consistently pushing the limit, let em' play. Over 12' is obvious and should be called.

regardless of what the rules are, basically it's the ump who will enforce what they believe to 6 to 10 which leaves some gray areas for those who do not have your vision and keen sense of height.

Roundtrip

Starting Player
regardless of what the rules are, basically it's the ump who will enforce what they believe to 6 to 10 which leaves some gray areas for those who do not have your vision and keen sense of height.

Sure there's "gray areas" for umps and players alike. However, calling pitches below 6' isn't very difficult nor does it require some "keen sense of height."

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States is:
69.2 inches, or 5 feet 9.2 inches

Hmmm, is that pitch above my eyes?