Asa 6'-10'

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
It makes no sense for ASA to ban bats because of safety then just make it more dangerous for the pitchers by forcing them to pitch flatter. If you are going to go with a flatter pitch then the bat restrictions need to be loosened up a little too.

Huh?? Trying to figure you out here... First you say it is more dangerous for pitchers because of the lower ceiling.... Then you say they should loosen up the bat restrictions if they are going to go with a flatter pitch.... Well if they loosened up the bat restrictions wouldn't that just Increase even more the danger to the pitcher?? At least according to what you said that lowering the pitch height alone makes it dangerous for pitchers....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Huh?? Trying to figure you out here... First you say it is more dangerous for pitchers because of the lower ceiling.... Then you say they should loosen up the bat restrictions if they are going to go with a flatter pitch.... Well if they loosened up the bat restrictions wouldn't that just Increase even more the danger to the pitcher?? At least according to what you said that lowering the pitch height alone makes it dangerous for pitchers....

I think what he is saying is that he finds it paradoxical that ASA would ban bats for safety reasons, but then force pitchers to pitch (what he believes are) more dangerous (flatter) pitches.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not that we don't care, it's that we're adjusting, too. Realize that some of us have been calling 12 foot arcs for quite a long time, and we're having to chop two feet off the top of our zone.

But my 6' has stayed the same. I look at 6' every morning in the mirror. I know exactly what it looks like.

Here is a question for you...

Does the entire ball have to get over 6' high or does only a portion of the ball??

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I think what he is saying is that he finds it paradoxical that ASA would ban bats for safety reasons, but then force pitchers to pitch (what he believes are) more dangerous (flatter) pitches.

Yeah true, but then he states that if they are going to go with flatter pitches then he thinks that ASA should loosen up on the bat restrictions.... Doesn't make much sense that first he says that the flatter pitches are more dangerous to pitchers, and then to say that if they should loosen the restrictions because of the flatter pitches....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yeah true, but then he states that if they are going to go with flatter pitches then he thinks that ASA should loosen up on the bat restrictions.... Doesn't make much sense that first he says that the flatter pitches are more dangerous to pitchers, and then to say that if they should loosen the restrictions because of the flatter pitches....

I think what he's saying is: "Make a decision. Be safe and restrict the hotter bats while keeping a high arc, or don't be safe by loosening up restrictions and keeping a lower arc."

He just didn't say it very clearly.

UAW34

Addicted to Softballfans
I for one love the new pitching heights ball comes in flatter and goes out harder and faster

ballguy_73

On the mound....
They should also train players while they're at it..... "I can't hit a ball that's coming so fast (20 mph) Waaaaaaaa. Can't we have tee?" For christ sakes bit**es it's slowpitch softball. Hit the damn ball, then run to base. If that's too hard then take up basket weaving or frisbee gheylf or heck keep whining about the umpires.... CLASSIC:rolleyes:

Yep, 6'-10' sucks...but it's what the players asked for, so stfu and play. You expect umpires to call Illegal pitches on 5'10" or 10' 2" pitches consistently?

I'll judge what level ball you play, by your responses....bring it!

What level do I play? Keep in mind I cannot be in the Ultra cool league your in, where they hide behind message boards talking smack, while grounding out to the pitcher....think they call that the Douchebag league.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I think what he's saying is: "Make a decision. Be safe and restrict the hotter bats while keeping a high arc, or don't be safe by loosening up restrictions and keeping a lower arc."

He just didn't say it very clearly.

I dont' know... He said this: "If you are going to go with a flatter pitch then the bat restrictions need to be loosened up a little too."

Maybe he should have said.. "If you are going to go with a flatter pitch then the bat restrictions need to be tougher."

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
anybody else getting hit at more this year. I am facing a lot more shots compared to years past.
for the smart alecs, yes I have a glove.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Most of the ASA leagues im playing in voted to keep the 12' ceiling. Obviously not leagues worried about being sanctioned or anything and i havent played an ASA tournament so the change hasnt made much a difference. IMO though if the max is 12' your gonna get 14' most the time and now that its 10' youll still get 12'

Last edited:

mcthundastix

Star Player
In my asa league in central illinois, the new rules has def had an impact. There has been more hits up the middle at our picther and also, it seems that the umps are calling lots more flat and too high pitches than compared to years past. Maybe its just our umps, but it gets annoying with them calling so many pitches.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
not saying middle wars just more balls getting hit at or near me. I am one that throw at the top or higher than the 12 ft range.

I haven't seen it. We don't usually have "middle wars" where I call, so I think the amount of shots hit up the middle is pretty constant. This year has proven to be no exception.