Asa bat compression tester!

bushwick

Starting Player
Thoughts and opinions on these. My ASA league just started doing this, I guess now they will test your bat and put a I'd number and sticker on it to show that it is legal. Anyone dealt with this? How accurate are they?
My biggest concern is them telling me that a legal bat is not legal. I also heard that these are 80% accurate, and they damage the bat.
?????

qwertle8

Addicted to Softballfans
My question is that after the bat has gone through the compression tester has it now been altered... since it has had more done to it that just ball contact :D

What if I get them to compress it 20 or so times, maybe that will be the new quick break in tactic :p

youngguns

Addicted to Softballfans
our local asa park uses one....they dont hurt the bat at all...as far as being accurate not so much...we had bats early in the day fail, take them back in later in the day and pass

bushwick

Starting Player
My question is that after the bat has gone through the compression tester has it now been altered... since it has had more done to it that just ball contact :D

What if I get them to compress it 20 or so times, maybe that will be the new quick break in tactic :p

Ya no crap huh?
I think I'll give them a bat that I know is illegal, and see if it passes too, what the hell right? I have some OG freaks.

UAW34

Addicted to Softballfans
They suck dont work at all Ive seen bats pass all over the sweet spot but fail 1in from the end cap. Ive seen shaved bats pass but a niw bat fail they just plain dont work.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
They suck dont work at all Ive seen bats pass all over the sweet spot but fail 1in from the end cap. Ive seen shaved bats pass but a niw bat fail they just plain dont work.

I love this comment, every time one of these threads gets started somebody says this but yet nobody ever admits to using a shaved but or nobody on their team has one. Yet everyone has seen a shaved bat pass a compression tester....

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I love this comment, every time one of these threads gets started somebody says this but yet nobody ever admits to using a shaved but or nobody on their team has one. Yet everyone has seen a shaved bat pass a compression tester....

You are not supposed to catch that.:D

UAW34

Addicted to Softballfans
I do know guys that have them but dont use them in leauges or tournaments and he had it tested to just see if it would pass or fail. Pretty much to test the creditability of the compression tester.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I would trust the compression test equipment more than the guy operating it ... or the guys posting about how it doesn't work right. ijs

the testers are pretty accurate, but do have their faults. it all depends if the testers are calibrated right. yes, some NOW bats do fail the test, that's true. also, they do not damage your bat. i've never heard or seen that. again, these are not perfect. they do deter the cheating, but it's not perfect. it's a start to stop cheating though.

Ronn050

5¢ Swing
For those in the know, wouldn't temperature affect the compression test, a bat brought in from the cold versus a warmed up bat?

UAW34

Addicted to Softballfans
I did run the equipment for our local Metro tournament and used it just as the instructions ssay too had bats passing everywhere but the near the end cap had N.O.W. bats just bought at the tournament failing. I recalibrated the machine every time I went to test a bat they just flat out dont work.

Kramit

Thoughts and opinions on these. My ASA league just started doing this, I guess now they will test your bat and put a I'd number and sticker on it to show that it is legal. Anyone dealt with this? How accurate are they?
My biggest concern is them telling me that a legal bat is not legal. I also heard that these are 80% accurate, and they damage the bat.
?????

are you worried about them finding your illegal bat??

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1007795

DDP16

Addicted to Softballfans
I watched a guy at Utrip nationals bring in 19 bats to get tested. EVERY one of the failed. I had a JH Titan with well over 2000 swings on it and it passed. I have no clue what my bat tested at but how could a bat with 2000+ swings on it pass and 19 others fail right before it??? I was told that temp and humidity have an affect on the machine.....anybody know anything about that??

bushwick

Starting Player
are you worried about them finding your illegal bat??

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1007795

I'm going to give them a shaved, rolled AND PAINTED ULTRA, just to see if it passes. Then if it does(20% chance), ill tell them they could have seriously hurt someone, and the tester sux. Then I'm going to smash the machine when it fails my truly legit bat...and do everyone a favor.
then I'm going to start a utrip league, and name it "Findlay approved" because that's who donated the tester.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Ya no crap huh?
I think I'll give them a bat that I know is illegal, and see if it passes too, what the hell right? I have some OG freaks.
Just because a bat (like the og Freak) tests above 98mph in the ASA test doesn't mean that it will fail a compression test. They are two very different types of tests. The first tests the bat's effect on Batted Ball Speed (here's where the og Freak fails). The second merely tests the bat barrel for the ease of it's flex (without involving a ball) ... this is what's used at the fields.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I'm going to give them a shaved, rolled AND PAINTED ULTRA, just to see if it passes. Then if it does(20% chance), ill tell them they could have seriously hurt someone, and the tester sux. Then I'm going to smash the machine when it fails my truly legit bat...and do everyone a favor.
then I'm going to start a utrip league, and name it "Findlay approved" because that's who donated the tester.
Oh, so you swing a rolled and painted Ultra ... no wonder you don't like bat testing.

Mr.Z

Shooting Middle Since 97'
They don't work...Per employees that have insight in the business..
Something about them, not being consistent :eek:

Calibration, reset, point of value, I stopped paying attention after that..

johnny2722

Addicted to Softballfans

Haha now I know this guy is from my town.

zukbuzzer

Addicted to Softballfans
oh my god i know this guy

no wonder when we played you guys you had guys going yard and hitting to the fence that had never hit the ball past the burn line!!! i bet you use them in coed too!
i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to compete BRO. i will warn you though i play with my daughters and my friends and if you hurt one of them with a dirty bat i will NOT be held responsible for what happens afterwards!!!

MaXXXed_Out

Addicted to Softballfans

Is this Bruce Jenners twin? The tomahawk swinging fence buster? Now I know why........

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
Temps will affect the results of compression testing. My teammate had a well broken in Freak 98 that failed in the afternoon.... after it cooled down from the 90's to the 70's at night he took the bat back through and it passed!

NSideSnoMexican

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to be the Devil's Advocate, but testing isn't going to stop someone from testing the bat, getting it stickered, and then popping the end cap and doing work on it...

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
no wonder when we played you guys you had guys going yard and hitting to the fence that had never hit the ball past the burn line!!! i bet you use them in coed too!
i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to compete BRO. i will warn you though i play with my daughters and my friends and if you hurt one of them with a dirty bat i will NOT be held responsible for what happens afterwards!!!

Quit trying to be all hard. It's obvious the OP would kick your ass.