ASA has defined "senior" bats for their tournaments

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ASA has posted on their website how they define a "senior" bat:

All bats used in ASA play for the Senior Divisions must be Official Softball Bats certified by the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) and / or marked BPF 1.21 or less. Bats must have their original paint markings for complete identification. These bats must still meet all other provisions of Rule 3, Section 1 and pass all bat inspections performed by the National Championship Finals Tournament Official. The Miken Ultra is not allowed (the Miken Ultra II is allowed).

Just an FYI for you fellas. :)

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Why single out a particular bat in a bat rule?!?!? The gray Ultra "special edition" made for a couple years said only "ULTRA" on it, not Ultra II, even though it was simply a mid-load U2. Once again, sounds like someone who doesn't know beans about bats has written a bat rule that will cause some problem down the road..

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
That's why the ASA can't compete with the other Senior tourneys put on by other Senior organizations! They can keep all their rules and knowledge..just let us play! Aloha, Fabe

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I'd just like to know why the Ultra is the only bat singled out as non-approed.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I have (28 Max), but "it's awesome" seems like a pretty arbitrary reason for removing it from play. There are plenty of bats that are nearly as good in objective comparison. I'd like to know if there was evidence-based reasoning, or if it was just done on a whim.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have (28 Max), but "it's awesome" seems like a pretty arbitrary reason for removing it from play. There are plenty of bats that are nearly as good in objective comparison. I'd like to know if there was evidence-based reasoning, or if it was just done on a whim.

Just venturing pure guesses here, but it could be one of two reasons:

1 - It's already not approved in other senior associations, so we should make it consistent.
2 - They already have actual numbers that tell them that allowing it to be used would be too dangerous.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I guess I'd just like to know why the Ultra is the only bat singled out as non-approed.

I guess you never swung one. It was banned within about a month after it's release.

If I remember right it was clocked at about 114 MPH off the bat.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess you never swung one. It was banned within about a month after it's release.

If I remember right it was clocked at about 114 MPH off the bat.

I guess you never read the part where I said I'd swung a 28oz Maxload, and 114mph is impossible in a test conducted at less than 114mph. Miken has some excellent engineers, but even as good as they are they can't violate the laws of physics.