ASA/USA Rulebooks and FAQ's

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
I will update this information and add information as needed.

ASA Information

2024 ASA/USA rulebook

ASA Non Approved Bats with pictures

One Page ASA's Non Approved Bats with pictures (for your bag)

All bats in USA Softball Championship Play, except Seniors, must pass USA Softball's Bat Performance Standard. All bats having the 2000, 2004 or 2013.
Certification Mark and not listed on the list of Non-Approved bats with Certification marks will be allowed in USA Softball Championship Play. Bats with the 2013 Certification Mark will be allowed in Slow Pitch National Championship Play Only. For your convenience, USA Softball's website has a listing of all approved bats and bats that have USA Softball Certification Marks and are no longer approved.

certified_2004_mark.gif

Softballs
Beginning January 1, 2001 to present, in USA Softball Championship Play, players may use only balls which meet all requirements of Rule 3, Section 3.

Additionally, USA Softball will periodically test additional samples of approved models to verify compliance with the USA Softball ball performance standards.
The approved certification marks are listed below:

umpires_cert_softball.gif
umpires_cert_softball2.gif
Red Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 375 lbs
Max .47 cor
Red Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 300 lbs
Max .47 cor
Black Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 375 lbs
Max .44 cor
Black Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 300 lbs
Max .44 cor
Blue Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 375 lbs
Max .40 cor
Blue Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 300 lbs
Max .40 cor

New (2011) Green Colored Marking & Stamp
Max 300.0 lbs/
Max .520 cor

Last edited:

hardlinedrives

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA bat cert. question- Does anyone know if the Louisville Slugger Springsteel is old enough that umpires will give it a pass as a grandfathered bat that meets the 98mph standards even though it is not certified. I have one I would like to hit. I know it doesn't have the pop of the new composites, just want to get my use out of it. Plus it's a bit of an antique and kind of cool. Nice sweetspot, mediocre pop.

oldhippie

Bringing truth to SBF
There is still hope left for this game.

You know full well that you can get better pop with another bat but wonder if you can use the Springsteel?

Bless you my son.

In answer to your question: How the hell are we supposed to know what your umps will do? If the ump is under 30 he will think you stopped at Kmart. If he is a baller over 30 he will realize it is not legal but wonders if the thing "tings" like he remembers.

And if he knows the Springsteel, he'll let you hit with it.

bucksho09

Addicted to Softballfans
anyone know what the ASA rule is on calling out an illegal bat? guys in my league are complaining about people shaving up White Steels and F3's... And i want to sht them up... i have told them that if they were not lazy and took some BP there bats would be just as good. if anyone can find this for me that would be great

LivingWaters

I is a tryhard 365 days a year
Nobody shaved a freaking white steel. Ever seen the inside of a white steel? Trust me no shaving happened there. The wall is already super thin steel, it would be pointless to attempt IMO. F3 I haven't seen the inside of, but it is a doublewall and I'm not sure if shaving and doublewalls get along.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Nobody shaved a freaking white steel. Ever seen the inside of a white steel? Trust me no shaving happened there. The wall is already super thin steel, it would be pointless to attempt IMO. F3 I haven't seen the inside of, but it is a doublewall and I'm not sure if shaving and doublewalls get along.
I agree. The Steels have good performance, but are fragile without shaving. If shaved, a white Steel would fold before you got it out of the bag.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
This came up in a challenge.

1.) Look at end cap to see if original close fit
2.) If there is an original White Steel laying about, compare
3.) Check the sound by lightly tapping w/ another bat
4.) Look for dents or flatspots or bent
5.) Look for excess glue/expoxy at taper or end of barrel.
6.) Any stamps or stickers missing.
7.) Any discolorization of paint

Any of above don't pan out, toss the bat out or
grant/refer challenge to TD.

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Just thought I would point out that this link no longer works. If we can get another one that works, that would be awesome :).

Updated, ASA finally got the right way to ban a bat.

The Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA) no longer displays every bat made by bat manufacturers that do not comply with current ASA bat standards. If you want to know what bats are approved for use in ASA Championship Play, follow one of the steps below.
  • check the approved list located in the drop down boxes above and search by the specific manufacturer or select all
  • check for either the 2000 or 2004 ASA Certification Mark (both depicted above) and then be sure the bat is not listed on the PDF's above as a banned bat by ASA

Poochie21

Do anyone you know if any of the granfatherd bats are scheduled to be ban or balls changes to the 40 core for asa

gogetit400

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the rule on foul tip to catcher how hgh does the ball have to go or does it not have to a certain height

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What's the rule on foul tip to catcher how hgh does the ball have to go or does it not have to a certain height

ASA Rule 1: Definition: Foup Tip:
A batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher’s hand(s) or glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher.

It no longer needs to stay below a certain height.

kja

Da Gooooochi
Anyone hear anything about rules change yet? Bats banned or new balls for ASA?

kja

Da Gooooochi
I was just checiing to see if anyone had the inside scoop on the possible changes.

kja

Da Gooooochi
Rumors? or facts? I know the mtg is going on but has anyone really heard anything?

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I believe it has to be over the batters head or 3 ft...something like that

Don't think so. I think it just has to be a perceivable arc in order to be caught for an out, doesn't even necessarily have to go above the batters head. It's a judgment call for the ump IIRC. A foul tip is rare in slow pitch, and that's where the ball glances off the bat and goes straight to the catchers glove without changing its flight.

Madco

Addicted to Softballfans
I know its been covered, and is in the rulebook, but I cant find it anywhere. What is the distance for a pitchers mound, and dont they measure that distance from the back of homeplate to the front of the rubber? Thanks

LoveyPSU

Sorry, wrong trajectory
Why sell these, Easton/DeMarini/etc, if you can't use them "legally?" I'm still in awe of the ump calling it out on me last night while he still doesn't understand a strike zone, a 10' pitch ceiling, or the Worth Connell he let the other team use all night. :rolleyes: