Back at it Log

wcoastsoftball

Having been off for a month due to a wrist injury I was half lazy to start again and half excited to get back to work, lol. The thing that sucks is that I a lower ab strain from running to first base last Wednesday. Though I was able to do most things today, including squat.

I will try to update this as often as possible, but after 3 cycles of Show and Go and a 2 month powerlifting program I wanted to go back to shorter workouts as the winter is my busy time here at the school.

I weighed in today at 217.8# and the Tanita saying 18%, but guessing it is more 16-16.5%. Either way, I have some work to do to get to 12-13% and 200-205.

Been pretty lax on the diet during the S&G program, and actually gained about 15-20#, but guessing most of that was muscle as i didn't get pre and post stats.

I have done 5-3-1 before, but wasn't as devoted as I will try to be this time. The new online calculators really help though. I am using this one:
http://diystrengthtraining.com/workout-spreadsheets-links/wendler-5-3-1-workout-spreadsheet/

My estimated maxes were (I actually went a little lower due to time off and recovery from injury)
Squat: 286
Bench: 243
DL: 350
OH press: 147

My squat is probably a lot more, and only recently really got into OH pressing.

I will post up a pic of the template once I get home.

wcoastsoftball

Day 2 in the books.

Bench with KB swings. Pretty easy.

Had programmed 10x5 stadium stairs and 4x4 20yd sprints. Well, got 2x5 stadium stairs. Probably could have done another or two. Only did 2x4 sprints for two reasons, I was sore from squats yesterday and the lower abdomen is still a bother so could only muster about 60% or so.

wcoastsoftball

404707934.jpg

404707942.jpg

I am using some warm ups I have picked up from others along the way.

The shoulder circuit is from Deisel Crew I believe.
The first active warm up is from a trainer in Canada.
The running warm up is from Show and Go.
The second active warm p is from Mike Boyle.
The last one is from Show and Go.

Different from Show and Go, instead of rolling then warming up-I have decided to warm up then roll. My body seems to be responding better to that.

Last edited:

wcoastsoftball

YOur db benching on monday and then benching on tuesday?

Yeas, and I figured someone would catch that. The DB bench isn't that hard at that weight, and I wanted a press of some sort in 3 workouts as I have 3 days of pulling, or rows. Not ideal, but the way I planned it in. If I wasn't doing a cardio type workout with the OH pressing, then I would have put it there.

wcoastsoftball

Good luck. Are you planning on cutting down on beer like you've mentioned?

Definately overhauling the diet. During football season (high school football that is), my diet is terrible. Team meals, late night events, etc. Winter sports are more hectic-but I can control the diet better as I have more days off.

I don't drink more than 2 beers in a night, the issue is that if I have one early in the evening-I usually grab another while surfing here.

wcoastsoftball

Don't do it!!!! Lmao...what school are you at?

I work at a high school here in SW Florida, Charlotte High School.

The beer is tough, like I said, I only have one a night usually but I like the feeling of relaxing with one while doing my finishing work of the day.

Regardless of what I do bring in diet wise, goals of eating are:
1. Reduce overall calories for the week. Shouldn't be hard as we had pre-game meals at a buffet every Friday.
2. Increase quality protein source intake.
3. Reduce unneeded calorie sources and simple carbs. My main issues are bread-easy to pack a sandwich for lunch.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Cool, I'll keep an eye on it. Went to college with a group from Barron Collier in Naples. Lol, skipping one night a week at a buffet will/should significantly reduce your caloric intake.

wcoastsoftball

I overlooked you were from Miami. We just lost to Martin County in the playoffs last week. Kinda good because we would have had to travel over there to FP Central and try to beat them.

wcoastsoftball

Start of week 2. Kinda hard getting back this week but got through the workout.
Changed the DB bench to incline DB bench and reduced reps to 10 to accomodate the weight used. Also reduced MB slams to 3 sets to fit with the TGU as a superset.

wcoastsoftball

Day 2 week 2 in the books. Didn't do the 20 yarders, abdomen was feeling pretty good, almost healed and didn't want to take a chance of re-straining. Hopefully next week will be 100%, maybe week after. Changed bleacher runs to week1: 2 x 5, week 2: 3 x 5, week 3: 4 x 5. Those things are higher than I thought when running up them, lol.

Ordered a Jawbone UP that will be shipped hopefully mid-December. Will be interesting to see what info I can pull from that.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
quick question.... on your sets what weights do you use? im about confused as a dead duck. i put my 1rm in and it gave me my training weights but have no idea what type of % i need to use on the warmup sets. Are the grey reps supposed to be how many times i do the training weight?

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Ordered a Jawbone UP that will be shipped hopefully mid-December. Will be interesting to see what info I can pull from that.

I've never seen this before but it is very intriguing to me. Seems like a great price compared to fairly similar things I have seen in the past. I can't get it now any way since I'm a droid user so I look forward to finding out your thoughts on it first.

wcoastsoftball

quick question.... on your sets what weights do you use? im about confused as a dead duck. i put my 1rm in and it gave me my training weights but have no idea what type of % i need to use on the warmup sets. Are the grey reps supposed to be how many times i do the training weight?

The warm up sets are included. It takes 90% of what you enter as your max and determines the work load.

Honestly, I didn't read into why the one set rep is greyed out, but I am just following the number it says. Honestly, the 5-3-1 workout is not taxing on the body IMO (as long as true 1RM is entered and not anything more).

wcoastsoftball

I've never seen this before but it is very intriguing to me. Seems like a great price compared to fairly similar things I have seen in the past. I can't get it now any way since I'm a droid user so I look forward to finding out your thoughts on it first.

I sent them a messaging asking about Android app since both our phones are Droids. I have an iPad as well. I will post my thoughts for sure. The only other comparable item out there is the Nike Fuel band, although slightly more expensive, it also doesn't monitor sleep, but does act as a watch and has LED display.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
I sent them a messaging asking about Android app since both our phones are Droids. I have an iPad as well. I will post my thoughts for sure. The only other comparable item out there is the Nike Fuel band, although slightly more expensive, it also doesn't monitor sleep, but does act as a watch and has LED display.

The sleep monitoring really appeals to me besides all the other features. Hard to believe that many features at that price. I am very interested.

wcoastsoftball

The sleep monitoring really appeals to me besides all the other features. Hard to believe that many features at that price. I am very interested.

Sorry, didn't finish my thought on the Droid app. They said it should be out soon.

As fo rhte Up, I got email confirmation that it was shipped last night. Surprised since it said Dec 17th on the website. Should have it Tuesday.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry, didn't finish my thought on the Droid app. They said it should be out soon.

As fo rhte Up, I got email confirmation that it was shipped last night. Surprised since it said Dec 17th on the website. Should have it Tuesday.

Yeah, the web site says droid app coming soon. I will keep my eye on it.

wcoastsoftball

Start of week 3. Was surprised to have FedEx knock on the door at 8:30 this morning and drop off the Jawbone Up. We'll see how this thing works once I collect a days worth of data. As for this week, I have a heavy back loaded week of work, 24 hours of high school wrestling coverage Friday and Saturday. So I am going to combine Thrusday and Fridays workout into Thursday.

Still not able to sprint upright with the ab injury. Thankfully still no issue with Squats and Deads and the discomfort is getting better. Sucks to have to play catcher and have a courtesy runner tonight for softball, but I haven't played since the injury.

wcoastsoftball

That's a pretty nice template you've got set up. Is that in an excel file?

Yes, link is in first post I think.

The Up band is pretty neat. Just wish it tracked heart rate, but does give good info on steps, active time, estimated caloric burn, sleep info is pretty cool. Only been a day, so once i get a trend it will be more helpful I think.

wcoastsoftball

On recovery week, so taking it easy with the reps and load and getting things ready for the next month. Will post the new changes when I get a chance.

Up band to me is better for tracking sleep than daily activity, though the caloric estimates help me in determining the daily needs/dietary overages.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Up band to me is better for tracking sleep than daily activity, though the caloric estimates help me in determining the daily needs/dietary overages.

Have you been able to use any of the sleep info to improve your life? Just wondering how useful it is or if it is just more of an interesting to know kind of thing.

wcoastsoftball

If I was able to change my sleep habits it would help. However, with high school events getitng over at different time each day, I get to rest at different times, though not greatly different. For right now I would place it as nice to know. It does track deep sleep and that helps becaseu I seem to feel more refreshed on days that I get more. As I get more info, it could come into play as far as how to arrange my workout for that day.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
If I was able to change my sleep habits it would help. However, with high school events getitng over at different time each day, I get to rest at different times, though not greatly different. For right now I would place it as nice to know. It does track deep sleep and that helps becaseu I seem to feel more refreshed on days that I get more. As I get more info, it could come into play as far as how to arrange my workout for that day.

That is pretty much the answer I expected. Seems like a fun toy that could potentially be useful.

wcoastsoftball

Going to combine this week and next week into 3 workouts each week. This week I will combine Thursday/Friday and next Monday/Tuesday. Otherwise working set loads are reasonable.

wcoastsoftball

After deciding to take the entire two week break off of training, I am catching up with combining days, removing some accessory and performing the main lifts along with a couple extra things.

Starting next week I will take WTP's advice he sent me and post results. Really not much to change, but I do need to control my simple carb intake and probably add a couple veges to the shopping list. Sunday I will get to measurements and stats and go from there.