Ball Life/Duration/Usage ??

mbfranchi

Addicted to Softballfans
How long (# of games) would you guess a new ball will remain at it peak, before it should be replaced do to decreased performance?

I knew this isn't a very exact science, just trying to get a general idea based on your experience as this is my first season managing a team. We're hitting 52/300's.

Thank you.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Dudley- I have never broken, cracked, damage stitches, or torn a cover on a leather cover Dudley...I have lost plenty of them, but I have had Dudley balls last years and years before being lost, and have yet wear one out or even have a noticeable difference. We used .47/525 old ASA, .47/500 U-trip, and Classic-M balls.

Trump Stotes- I have never broken, cracked or other wise damaged leather covered Trump Stotes. They were Classic-Plus balls and only used for a short period. Also using a new batch now.

Decker Sharks- have never noticed a drop in performance, or broken a ball. We have popped stitches and torn composite leather covers before losing the balls. These balls are fairly new, used in ten games and only a handful of BP sessions.

DeMarini- covers come off very quickly. Those with covers that last a while, end up broken and lumpy. I'm not certain, but a performance drop is likely. I would replace good looking bas within ten games, and expect to replace 50-75% before that from signs of damage.

Worth- their better balls crack, break and eventually disintegrate. This process can start in a very short time period. Most ball seem to loose performance rapidly. I would replace every game and be prepared to replace some during the game. Some of their super cheap balls(I forgot that our balls were not legal in the new league and Target was the only thing close enough for me to make it on time) will not even endure one hit! I e-mailed Worth CS and received no reply. Oddly their old Super Duper Blue dots seemed to perform equally if not better than U-distance balls even WHILE broken!!! I have a cover holding Super Duper powder together that is still in the BP bucket and hit as good as many of the well worn balls.

Others likely have much more experience than I. We started with Dudley balls and never could break them so we never changed until they didn't offer the ball I wanted.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the manufacturer for the most part. If you buy a quality ball, you will get a quality product.

I have balls in BP bag that are 5-6yo. I can clean them up and throw them in as back-up balls in a game anyday and have.

mbfranchi

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the great info gentlemen, especially Muscles.

Sounds like as long as I buy a good ball (Evil, Tattoo, XRock, Hycon) I'll be GTG.