Any Ball Takes Fielder's Glove Off, Ball Stays In Glove

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
This was at an All World tournie if that matters. Hit a hard liner to SS, he puts a glove on it but the ball takes the glove off his hand, glove lands with the ball still in it. Count as a catch or still in play?

Ump had it as still in play and I wasn't out until I was thrown out at 1st. Just curious as several people had strong opinions either way even though it didn't matter cause he was still quicker than me to 1st.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
In the ASA rule book under the definition of a catch, it says it is NOT a catch if:

When a fielder catches a batted or thrown ball with anything other than the hand(s) or glove in its proper place.

Last edited:

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
According to the rule posted above, at the time of the catch, the glove was in it's proper place. (Stretching I know, but can't let an AtU thread end that quick)

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Good to know, thanks guys. It would've mattered if I was somewhat quicker runner & I also hesitated for a second not sure what happened. Took him a second to process what happened too but he saw me running, got the ball & threw me out even though he thought it was a catch. There was some arguing between that team & blue afterwards but like I said it wouldn't have made a difference in that scenario.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Had this question come up as a hypothetical at a USSSA C National. UIC says that it is a live ball but if a defender picks the ball out of the glove or the defender puts the glove back on without the ball touching the ground it would then be a legal catch. I would be interested in what the UICs in Florida would say about it.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
According to the rule posted above, at the time of the catch, the glove was in it's proper place. (Stretching I know, but can't let an AtU thread end that quick)

Good try, but...

The fielder obviously did not demonstrate control of the ball by holding it securely, plus his release of the ball was not voluntary. No catch!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
You still got thrown out? You wearing Red Wing logger boots?

Might as well have been, we both had a wtf just happened moment, I took off out of the box, then it was the 280lbs 37yr old with a bad wheel vs a 140lbs 20yr old with a gun, I lost.

Had this question come up as a hypothetical at a USSSA C National. UIC says that it is a live ball but if a defender picks the ball out of the glove or the defender puts the glove back on without the ball touching the ground it would then be a legal catch. I would be interested in what the UICs in Florida would say about it.

Ball never touched the ground at all, he grabbed the ball out of the glove.

Since some of us are smokin something, consider this psychadelic perspective: i would look through the lens of the glove being transparent, you catch the ball with a glove, look through the glove and the balls in your hand. A ball in a glove laying on the ground is on the ground.

RC#13

Part Time Player
This happened (more or less) a while back in MLB. Can't remember who the teams/players were but pitcher picked up glove with ball inside and ran a little closer and under handed it to first basemen.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This happened (more or less) a while back in MLB. Can't remember who the phone teams/players were but pitcher picked up glove with ball inside and ran a little closer and under handed it to first basemen.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFRO7xMD8I[/ame]

RC#13

Part Time Player
It was El Duque. Youtube it. Ball gets stuck in pitchers glove. Play by play guy calls it an "intelligent play."

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
It was El Duque. Youtube it. Ball gets stuck in pitchers glove. Play by play guy calls it an "intelligent play."

Perfectly legal play.

The only sanction I'm aware of that prohibits this is high school baseball (NFHS). If the ball is stuck in the glove, then they consider it a lodged ball- dead ball, award all runners two bases!

Hey, every sanctioning body has a screwy rule or two...

RC#13

Part Time Player
^^^^My 12 year old is playing fall ball. 2 weeks ago batter hits a laser at 3rd base. Ball gets stuck in glove and knocks glove off. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 3rd basemen picks up glove and runs to 3rd base and beats the runner. Force play....runner is out right? Wrong. Blue says 3rd basemen did not have control of ball. Everyone called safe. No way that was the right call.

BNJ13

WorldVentures
^^^^My 12 year old is playing fall ball. 2 weeks ago batter hits a laser at 3rd base. Ball gets stuck in glove and knocks glove off. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 3rd basemen picks up glove and runs to 3rd base and beats the runner. Force play....runner is out right? Wrong. Blue says 3rd basemen did not have control of ball. Everyone called safe. No way that was the right call.

If under NFHS rules, it was not the right call. As stated above, a lodged ball is a 2 base award to the batter, so in that case, the runner at 2nd should be awarded home, the runner on 1st should be awarded 3rd, the batter awarded 2nd.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If under NFHS rules, it was not the right call. As stated above, a lodged ball is a 2 base award to the batter, so in that case, the runner at 2nd should be awarded home, the runner on 1st should be awarded 3rd, the batter awarded 2nd.

Rule citation, please

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I was going for the HR to end the game since we didn't have any outs but got a little on top of it, fortunately the guys behind me took care of business.