Bat companies should only make 12 inch barrels

Redsfan

I find it interesting how picky some people are about bats. I'm old school and I played in the aluminum bat days where you just grabbed one and hit with it. Sure I had my favorites but it really didn't matter to me if it was 12, 13 or 14 inch barrel. You square it up they all hit fine.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I dont believe there is a Much larger effective hitting area on longer barrel bats at all. Im willing to bet its less that 1/2 inch if any. Most of those 14inch barrels are Dead, they have pop in the same Amount of space as the 12 inch. Now that effective area will not be in the same spot along the 34 inch length but its still going to be about the same amount of usable space. Look IM no major player but I have No issue finding the effective hitting area on my 12 inch barrel bats, in fact its the bat I hit best with.

Normy

The exception to the rule may be some of the ASA Worth/Miken. The '17 Worth border battle 14" seemed to have better reviews than the '18 version with the 12.5" barrel. Not just on sweet spot size/location but overall performance. Supposedly the longer inner barrel had more of the "trampoline" stuff happening. Just going by what I've read so it could very well be a bunch of BS.

dunkky

True or not, i found this statement on the internet. looks like they are adding more weight on handle than barrel for 12 inch. If that's the case, what's the benefit of swinging 27 over 26. Personally, i swing 27 to 28 now, but willing to try 26 for 12 inch.

"Personally I believe a 12 inch barrel bat in 26 Oz offers some of the best balance point Dynamics on a. 25 oz needs a little more butt , 27 oz you will see when doing weight measurement , they put most of the weight in handle .7 in handle .3 in end load . moving balance back toward knob , have a negative effect on performance in my experience ."

Country469

True or not, i found this statement on the internet. looks like they are adding more weight on handle than barrel for 12 inch. If that's the case, what's the benefit of swinging 27 over 26. Personally, i swing 27 to 28 now, but willing to try 26 for 12 inch.

"Personally I believe a 12 inch barrel bat in 26 Oz offers some of the best balance point Dynamics on a. 25 oz needs a little more butt , 27 oz you will see when doing weight measurement , they put most of the weight in handle .7 in handle .3 in end load . moving balance back toward knob , have a negative effect on performance in my experience ."

because if you can wing a 27 or 28 and maintain the same bat speed through contact you are generating more force. The barrel stuff isn't nearly as important as how much force you the swinger are appyling to the ball. Want to test this? Take a good bat and swing with one arm on a tee. Take a wood bat and swing with two. Which one is more important now? You always want more mass in your bat, as long as you can maintain bat speed through contact.

Redsfan

Most people can't swing a lighter bat fast enough to make up for the loss of mass. Mentally they think they do but physically they don't. I actually watched some dude on YouTube the other day that showed he got a faster exit velocity with his 28 than his 26 oz bat. It was the same bat just different weights.

Country469

Correct. Think of it this way in an extremem version. You're about to hit a 20 lb medicine ball off a tee. You want a wiffle ball bat or wood bat? Of course wood. Because the extra mass of the wood enables you to continue that force through contact.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Most people can't swing a lighter bat fast enough to make up for the loss of mass. Mentally they think they do but physically they don't. I actually watched some dude on YouTube the other day that showed he got a faster exit velocity with his 28 than his 26 oz bat. It was the same bat just different weights.

I commented on another thread about this. Did some indoor cage hitting this winter and played with different weights, barrel lengths, endload/balanced, etc. Exit speeds on all the bats I tried were within 4mph of each other. Interestingly, I tried a 26oz 2019 KP23 on a buddy's insistence and found that I was about 5-6mph below my 28oz bats. Even more interestingly, my highest exit speed to date was with an early 2000's singlewall TPS Powerdome, lol.

dunkky

I agree, just wasn't sure extra weight on handle has little to no effect whatsoever according to that statement. it kinda does make sense though. I mean adding more weight to handle will negate the effect of endload. if they gonna add more weight to 12 in bat, add that to barrel, not on handle. maybe that's why they make 13/14 inch, so they have more room to add more weight on barrel?? i don't know. oh well, screw all these. bats are too good to really concern about these minor stuffs. They all hit good.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I commented on another thread about this. Did some indoor cage hitting this winter and played with different weights, barrel lengths, endload/balanced, etc. Exit speeds on all the bats I tried were within 4mph of each other. Interestingly, I tried a 26oz 2019 KP23 on a buddy's insistence and found that I was about 5-6mph below my 28oz bats. Even more interestingly, my highest exit speed to date was with an early 2000's singlewall TPS Powerdome, lol.
I've always read that the ball comes off of singlewalls faster than multi walls or composites. I'm talking about the time in contact with the bat, the fractions if seconds, not the speed of the batted ball, and I bet it's just messing with the radar.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Keep in mind bat companies cant keep adding weight to the end caps like the old days. As they go up beyond 26 most of the additional weight goes in the handle. Power = bat speed After contact. In people with close swing speeds, those that lose the least bat speed after contact hit the farthest.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I've done this too, but in a more extreme manner. 2001 3DX. 32 oz (yes, they made them), vs 26 oz. Obviously I could get the 26 oz bat through the zone faster than the 32. However, the longest balls BY FAR were off the 32. The barrel of that thing doesn't slow down a bit at contact and the ball rocketed off it probably 40' further consistently vs the 26 oz bat. Using a very light bat I think you really do lose a lot of energy in the ball/barrel transfer. The barrel is rebounding off the bat in an inefficient manner.

In the long run the 26 oz bat is more comfortable to swing. For batted ball distance the 32 oz bat won easily.

I agree that everyone ought to swing the heaviest bat they're capable of swinging.

dunkky

i don't dispute this, again, i totally agree. But is adding weight on handle really help? maybe, but at the same time, you lose endload benefit, no?

26oz with 20oz barrel VS 28oz with 18oz barrel. which will deliver the most blow???

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've always read that the ball comes off of singlewalls faster than multi walls or composites. I'm talking about the time in contact with the bat, the fractions if seconds, not the speed of the batted ball, and I bet it's just messing with the radar.

Could be, the ball isn't going to sink into an aluminum like it would with a soft-barreled composite. But the single reading wasn't an anomaly, I was consistently getting speeds that rivaled/beat the numbers I got with my composites. And I think Brett Helmer said something when he was commentating on the War By The Shore about old aluminum bats hitting .52's better than composite. The cages we were hitting in were using old .52's...

I agree that everyone ought to swing the heaviest bat they're capable of swinging.

I think people should try a whole bunch of different weights and just see what they do best with. I see guys swinging too heavy a bat because they have a chip on their shoulder almost as often as I see big strong guys swinging light bats. For me, I get the most consistency, exit speed, and distance with 28's. As soon as I try a 26 or a 30, performance drops a bit. I still like playing with heavy bats in BP though, just got an old 32oz SSEST that I'll probably need help swinging.

Send me one, I need a d1ck check

A man your age should be comfortable in his masculinity.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
i don't dispute this, again, i totally agree. But is adding weight on handle really help? maybe, but at the same time, you lose endload benefit, no?

26oz with 20oz barrel VS 28oz with 18oz barrel. which will deliver the most blow???

I'm not sure if adding handle weight helps. Thing is, the bat I did the test with was made in 2001. This was before they got into adding handle weight. The 32 oz. 3DX is a brutal sledgehammer with a ton of endload.

As recently as 2015 Easton made some extremely endloaded bats. Things seem to have changed. Adding too much handle weight can also cause a bat to fail testing, at least from an ASA standpoint. I'm not sure if USSSA even does batted ball speed testing anymore, or merely relies on the 220 pass/fail threshold.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think people should try a whole bunch of different weights and just see what they do best with. I see guys swinging too heavy a bat because they have a chip on their shoulder almost as often as I see big strong guys swinging light bats. For me, I get the most consistency, exit speed, and distance with 28's. As soon as I try a 26 or a 30, performance drops a bit. I still like playing with heavy bats in BP though, just got an old 32oz SSEST that I'll probably need help swinging.

Most guys I play softball with wouldn't touch a 28 oz bat if you paid them. Its a mental thing. It isn't that they aren't strong enough to swing it. They just THINK they aren't strong enough to swing it. If you put a 26 oz. sticker on a 28 oz bat you'd see guys pick it up and swing it without a problem.

Batspeed isn't everything. Sure, you WILL have more batspeed swinging 26s vs. 28s, but that won't equate to better distance or batted ball speed.

I agree there is an optimal bat weight for everyone. I CAN swing 30s, but I don't often. I prefer 28s.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I'll chime in for all different aspects of stuff said...
getting rid of 25/26oz is ridiculous so is "wishing" everyone magically forced to do so is dumb.....attendance for softball leagues across the country is DOWN....and half the time some teams cant get enough guys in rec on a reg night... make the small guy who is fast swing a bat he can't handle even tho he hasn't hit a home run in his life...why don't we just AX coed because some girls can't swing a 27 or 28...lose more people for softball....
as far as 12" barrels Im not a fan at all....I got a balanced blackout that if I had to play for jesus and get a hit every single time that's my bat.....or a orange ressy that will out hit any freak 30...if everyone who played softball went to 12 inch heavy and everyone hit hrs you'd complain about that

Last edited:

Normy

I'll chime in for all different aspects of stuff said...
getting rid of 25/26oz is ridiculous so is "wishing" everyone magically forced to do so is dumb.....attendance for softball leagues across the country is DOWN....and half the time some teams cant get enough guys in rec on a reg night... make the small guy who is fast swing a bat he can't handle even tho he hasn't hit a home run in his life...why don't we just AX coed because some girls can't swing a 27 or 28...lose more people for softball....
as far as 12" barrels Im not a fan at all....I got a balanced blackout that if I had to play for jesus and get a hit every single time that's my bat.....or a orange ressy that will out hit any freak 30...if everyone who played softball went to 12 inch heavy and everyone hit hrs you'd complain about that
Well played. This is pretty much how I feel. I get flack all the time for swinging Combat. Guess that's the main reason I haven't switched. Don't like it...don't really give a ****.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Im not in the camp of restricting anything especially bat weights. Im merely stating a 14 inch barrel does not increase your ability to hit the sweetspot or find the most effective hitting zone. AND.... massive barrel bats dont have humongous sweetspots, the effective hitting area is still 3 inches.

ShortYellowBus

Slowpitch participation is perhaps dropping but it’s definitely not the weight or barrel length specifications of the bats driving people away.

People who were born after the 90’s are too distracted, require maximum stimulation at all times, and don’t ever want to work hard to get good at anything.

This topic probably deserves its own thread.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Let's face it the game would lose more interest if only 12" barrel bats were made, there is something to the longer barrel bats that help or seem to help most if not all players (especially younger players that are not true hitters) that prefer 14" over 12".. personally long barrel bats don't quite feel right for me.. back in the aluminum bat days I believe there were only 10" and 11" barrels and no one was complaining about them.. pretty sure when worth, demarini started making (high performance aluminum bats) is when the implemented 12" barrels...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Im not in the camp of restricting anything especially bat weights. Im merely stating a 14 inch barrel does not increase your ability to hit the sweetspot or find the most effective hitting zone. AND.... massive barrel bats dont have humongous sweetspots, the effective hitting area is still 3 inches.

A huge barrel bat makes you a lazy hitter. Why try hard to find the barrel if you don't have to?

I own a few 14" barrel bats. If I start swinging them a lot I get lazy and sloppy. You know you don't have to put much effort into finding the barrel. Obviously using a 12" barrel Easton you have to be on it. Those bats aren't forgiving at all on mis hits.

I feel like I actually miss the barrel more on 14" barrels vs 12".