Bat tape/Bat grips/knob cuffs

jhitman

Just trying to get a few opinions on what everyone uses. I used lizard skin for a while, but now strictly use bat tape on all of my bats. Also, I don't use knob cuffs but am thinking of switching to them.

Markous

The Rookie
Knob cuff with bat tape. Picked up a grip n rip and using on my bp bat right now. Still adjusting to it.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I used to do knob cuffs on all my bats but mostly just build up that area with tape then Lizard Skins. I like a little less taper than the knob cuffs provide.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I used to do knob cuffs on all my bats but mostly just build up that area with tape then Lizard Skins. I like a little less taper than the knob cuffs provide.
check out the grip n rip lite. goes under the grip itself and gives a nice taper to put the grip around

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
I use a Grip N Rip Lite under a Wilson Tennis Overgrip. These are thinner grips and can be found on the cheap at Wally World. In the past I used knob cuffs but switched after trying the G-N-R Lite. These provide a smaller taper than the knob cuff and are easily covered with the overgrips.

ShortYellowBus

Markwort Bat cuff taper grip. 3 for $15 on the Am-zn delivered.

I like less feedback from a bat, so I go Vulcan bat grip 1.8mm. Most durable for me. Lizard skin and other grips tear, slide or melts after a season. So I stopped buying them.

I’ve got issues with my hands, so all this helps me feel comfortable at the plate.

sportwarrior

Addicted to Softballfans
I use 1.2mm Easton tape when available. 1.1mm lizard skin when not. I also use the Markwart Bat Cuff on all my bat. Makes dropping a finger way more comfortable.

duffman99

Standard Grip n Rip over a 1.1 lizard skin/vulcan grip, I found that they don't tear up my batting gloves as much as tape does.

jhitman

I use 1.2mm Easton tape when available. 1.1mm lizard skin when not. I also use the Markwart Bat Cuff on all my bat. Makes dropping a finger way more comfortable.

Where can I find the Markwart bat cuff? I'd like to try it as my hands get pretty sore when I'm hitting a lot.

AntonChigurh

I use a Grip N Rip Lite under a Wilson Tennis Overgrip. These are thinner grips and can be found on the cheap at Wally World. In the past I used knob cuffs but switched after trying the G-N-R Lite. These provide a smaller taper than the knob cuff and are easily covered with the overgrips.
X2
I get the tennis over grips for free (wife). Nice and thin/durable, and then build up taper with athletic tape. I’m not gonna pay $10 for a GNR lite.

TRaj2327

The best option is always the one you are comfortable with. I've literally seen guys tape a club-shape around the handle because they is what they like.

blakcherry329

You're going to have to go buy a few things and try them out.
Suggestions don't mean anything until you try them and decide which one is most comfortable. This is just another "which bat is best" post in sheep's clothing. lol

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Used GNR lites but started making my own (really hard/dense foam). It actually weighs less than the GNR lites. I like my leather grips so I put that over the top (only minimum length that's allowed by ASA).

jhitman

You're going to have to go buy a few things and try them out.
Suggestions don't mean anything until you try them and decide which one is most comfortable. This is just another "which bat is best" post in sheep's clothing. lol

Not really. I've never used a knob cuff before but some of my teammates use them and like the comfort especially with the overlap grip. Since I was getting some calluses and soreness in spots on my bottom hand I thought a knob cuff might alleviate this issue.

blakcherry329

Not really. I've never used a knob cuff before but some of my teammates use them and like the comfort especially with the overlap grip. Since I was getting some calluses and soreness in spots on my bottom hand I thought a knob cuff might alleviate this issue.
Right, so if you haven't used one before, you will need to try a few out before you make a decision. Suggestions will just for buying purposes only. Only you can say if it's comfortable or not.

jhitman

Right, so if you haven't used one before, you will need to try a few out before you make a decision. Suggestions will just for buying purposes only. Only you can say if it's comfortable or not.

I agree. I might try my friend's knob cuff in BP to see how it feels. I really don't know which brand and the comfort level of any of them because I've never used one. I guess it will be trial and error.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
any pics of the foam tapers?
Ha ha....no. I make them as I need them. I just use a dense foam and a band saw. Give them a taper and then sand them down. I use a 11/16ths drill bit to bore a hold and then slice them in half. They don't even register on my scale. the GNR lites are about .1 to .2 of an oz. Not a lot but I like to keep my end load as heavy as possible. I'll have to make one up and post a pic or send to you.

Last edited:

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Ha ha....no. I make them as I need them. I just use a dense foam and a band saw. Give them a taper and then sand them down. I use a 11/16ths drill bit to bore a hold and then slice them in half. They don't even register on my scale. the GNR lites are about .1 to .2 of an oz. Not a lot but I like to keep my end load as heavy as possible. I'll have to make one up and post a pic or send to you.

okay, a pic would be good, I'm just curious