Bat testing alternatives - looking for input

The Mad Hatter

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone knows the flaws of existing bat testing (compression) equipment. See any one of 1,000 posts on the subject.

I'm wondering if anyone has looked at alternate technology to detect shaved or doctored bats? Specifically I'm talking about the use of an ultrasonic thickness gauge (example - http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/images/large/019/19768.jpg). These devices are used to measure wall thickness in a variety of materials, including metal, ceramics, and other composites. Typically they're used to detect flaws (i.e. corrosion) in piping and other materials without having to remove and visually check the piece in question, keeping it in operation. From my research it seems like they would be a great alternative to check composite bat wall thickness without having to pop a cap off a bat. The devices also have an extremely fine resolution (.001" or finer).

My thought is that If bat manufacturers would provide directors and associations with their wall thickness specifications and tolerances you could simply use this device (found on ebay for as cheap as $150) to test the wall thickness of a bat in question. If the wall thickness is found to be out of conformance the bat would be automatically taken and shipped to the manufacturer for additional testing. If in the odd case the a bat was stock but constructed outside a manufacturer's spec the manufacturer would review , approve and return.

Very cheap alternative, quick non intrusive precision test that would correctly identify shaved bats.

While I'm an engineer and used these types of devices in some of my college labs, this field isn't my specialty. Is anyone aware of an association or person trying this type of device? Any other thoughts on potential success/failure? Input is encouraged. I'm considering buying one and trying it out - I could always resell it on ebay if it doesn't work or find someplace that rents one....

hinzy

}}i{{
Ive brought this up many times and I just get laughed at, so prepare yourself for the same treatment ;)

usmcluberti

Banned User
The quality control of many manufactures isn't able to give an accurate wall thickness I bet...shoot miken can't even get the weight right 79% of the time

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I imagine there will be new testing methods/equipment in UTrip starting in 2013 because, as I understand it, they're trying to change their testing method so that they can use the same method/equipment in the field that they use in the "lab". So instead of having your bat compression tested, they will be tested the same way UTrip tests bats for certification purposes and if it exceeds 1.20 bpf, it will be tossed.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
After looking at the specs more carefully, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Orly?

Delamination of the bat will cause erroneous measurements, at which point this testing is no better than compression testing.

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
Orly?

Delamination of the bat will cause erroneous measurements, at which point this testing is no better than compression testing.

Erroneous, no, the delamination would increase the measured thickness of the material.

People that shave out too much material would likely get caught, even with the delamination occuring.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Erroneous, no, the delamination would increase the measured thickness of the material.

People that shave out too much material would likely get caught, even with the delamination occuring.

Pretty sure it wouldn't accurately measure thickness. Simple obvious things like paint and barrel texture can mess it up, and I'm fairly certain it would be hard to calibrate the machine to properly interpret the interlayer delamination.

But let's say it does...how does a delaminated shaved bat register, then?

BEEJ

Below Me
Here's my idea, I've mentioned it more than a few times.

Threaded metal insert in the end of the barrell, threaded endcap with lock screws, and Inside of the barrell having some sort of logos or pattern that would be destroyed when altered.

UAW34

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's my idea, I've mentioned it more than a few times.

Threaded metal insert in the end of the barrell, threaded endcap with lock screws, and Inside of the barrell having some sort of logos or pattern that would be destroyed when altered.

Bat company's will never go to a removable endcap because of the liability issue if the cap was to come off and hit some 1 they would then be liable

skew12

I do these type of inspections as part of my job. Just on navy boats and subs. Doing this with a composite material would be extremely hard to obtain accurate measurements.

The nature of composite material itself, differing composites per bat, great variations in actual wall thickness due to productions issues, having a mixture of composite or metal material weaved into the bat, the thickness of the paint varying per bat/per model, calibrating for different kinds of paint, the surface roughness of bats once they're used, the intelligence/quality/competence of the person performing the inspection.

Every one of this variables can completely **** the inspection. Easily.

Also the cost of machines would not be cheap. And that's one of the main reasons the bat compression testers aren't everywhere.

It's a good idea in theory, but highly improbable.

jshell73

Far from Normal
Even if you measured thickness, what about a painted U2 with decals? That may be about the right thickness, or you could add/subtract coats of paint to make it within the tolerences.

TheBatman42

No more MV1 Threads!
The final solution. Put up $300 and cut the sucker. Put up or shut up.

DeWALT-D28700-rw-73780-19614.JPG

TheBatman42

No more MV1 Threads!
Bringing this one back to the top...

What if the bats were flat out made solid? I'm sure the tech is out there. The manufacturers won't make nearly as much since they won't crack so easily.

49er

Addicted to Softballfans
Bringing this one back to the top...

What if the bats were flat out made solid? I'm sure the tech is out there. The manufacturers won't make nearly as much since they won't crack so easily.

I believe Mizuno makes a composite/wood bat already. The only problem is that all the composite warriors wouldn't play with these if they can use their hollow bat to hit bombs in another league/association. Since we will never see all associations do what is right for the players, this will never happen!