Batter's box

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In slow pitch, this is an easy call. Not so much in fast pitch or modified, especially with slap hitters.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's my point.

I don't ump, but if I did, and a guy moved up to the front of the box or started two stepping on his swing I'd look for it if I have time. This isn't something you have to focus on unless their behavior alerts you.

This issue irks me because I normally see it when batters are trying to throw the ump off their game and it normally works. Pitches that have been strikes all day are now suddenly deep, etc .

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
That's my point.

I don't ump, but if I did, and a guy moved up to the front of the box or started two stepping on his swing I'd look for it if I have time. This isn't something you have to focus on unless their behavior alerts you.

This issue irks me because I normally see it when batters are trying to throw the ump off their game and it normally works.

That's ****ing hilarious. A batter moving in the box is irrelevant, the umpire's looking at the ball. If you do have umpires are affected, you don't have any umpires.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
You were saying you didn't see the problem like I wanted a bigger box. I was just clarifying my position.

I don't expect it to be a priority, but I think it should be an easy call when the batter is out of the box in any way. I'm a realist. I only expect it to be called when it's horrible and obvious to everyone.

It's really only obvious when the batter steps on the plate or out of the box in front of the plate. The HP umpire is watching the pitch, he/she can't call an out on something they may have seen out of the corner of their eye.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's really only obvious when the batter steps on the plate or out of the box in front of the plate. The HP umpire is watching the pitch, he/she can't call an out on something they may have seen out of the corner of their eye.
Seriously, when else have you ever seen it period? With a one man crew I wouldn't expect it to be called for the reasons you and maybe Irish are stating. I really can't tell what he's saying, typos or otherwise.

Anything else and it should be really obvious. A guy stepping out of the box as he swings, stepping back towards the ump out of the box? That's going to have to be a crazy pitch and scenario. Same if he steps out on the third or fourth base side (righty our Lefty).

I've seen multiple batters step in home and it's missed because nobody thought they'd seeing at such a bad pitch. I'm not expecting mlb quality at my local field.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Seriously, when else have you ever seen it period? With a one man crew I wouldn't expect it to be called for the reasons you and maybe Irish are stating. I really can't tell what he's saying, typos or otherwise.

That's wrong. A single umpire isn't going to see it any less than if s/he had 5 partners.
Anything else and it should be really obvious. A guy stepping out of the box as he swings, stepping back towards the ump out of the box? That's going to have to be a crazy pitch and scenario. Same if he steps out on the third or fourth base side (righty our Lefty).

I've seen multiple batters step in home and it's missed because nobody thought they'd seeing at such a bad pitch. I'm not expecting mlb quality at my local field.

The majority of the time a violation will occur is when reaching for a pitch. The only two other times I have call it is when a batter get's happy feet and steps behind the plate (VERY obvious) in an effort to pull the ball and out of the far side of the box when trying to lose a ball they don't want in the game.

And I have never hesitated to make this call whether at the local or national level

blakcherry329

Played in a tournament yesterday. Boxes drawn on all the fields. Midway through the first game the lines were gone, for the most part. Never had one batter that was egregiously far from the plate. It's never an issue when line are drawn, even temporarily. It's when there are no lines, and lazy umps don't even want to check, that irks me.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Well, when there are no lines, the box is still there. I'll give you some leeway, but if it's dead obvious that you're out of the box, I won't hesitate to call it.

I know an umpire who once got some grief over calling a batter out for stepping out of the box where the lines were gone. He asked him, "is there a line between your house and your neighbor's?" The batter said, "no," to which he responded, "well, then how do you know where to mow the lawn?"

The lines are there, even if they aren't. It's not that hard.

blakcherry329

Well, when there are no lines, the box is still there. I'll give you some leeway, but if it's dead obvious that you're out of the box, I won't hesitate to call it.

I know an umpire who once got some grief over calling a batter out for stepping out of the box where the lines were gone. He asked him, "is there a line between your house and your neighbor's?" The batter said, "no," to which he responded, "well, then how do you know where to mow the lawn?"

The lines are there, even if they aren't. It's not that hard.
Your attitude is the exception, not the rule, around here, unfortunately.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Your attitude is the exception, not the rule, around here, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I know what you mean. It makes it harder for those of us who care to do it right, and the ones who end up getting the worst of it is you guys. We do need to be consistent out there, or else you guys get frustrated when you don't know what rules will or won't be enforced come game day.

D-ROCK13

I love it when guys stand a foot out of the box, just throw inside out curveballs and most of them cant reach far enough to make decent contact

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love it when guys stand a foot out of the box, just throw inside out curveballs and most of them cant reach far enough to make decent contact
Only if the ump knows how to call the strike zone properly. If they do, a regular breaking ball that just catches the outside corner is a great compliment. Sadly, they rarely do.

D-ROCK13

you're correct there, most umps here don't understand how to call corners, regardless of the pitch type

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're correct there, most umps here don't understand how to call corners, regardless of the pitch type
What funny here is that umps are split. Some will only call corners on strike three, like you'd better be ready to protect but I won't call it before. Then others will always call corners except on strike three, like they don't want to ring someone up on that. It makes no sense.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
What funny here is that umps are split. Some will only call corners on strike three, like you'd better be ready to protect but I won't call it before. Then others will always call corners except on strike three, like they don't want to ring someone up on that. It makes no sense.

If it is a strike, it's a strike regardless of the count

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, no. By rule, the lines are to be considered part of the box regardless of the actual circumference of the BB
He hasn't seen someone put the chalk on the wrong side of their outline since this thread started? Man, you are good.