Bears to start Jay Cutler

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I'd say it'd be more realistic to compare McCown to how Kurt Warner got his start and not how Brady and Pujols got their starts. :D But that is still even a stretch.

not really. mccown was a 2-3rd round draft pick i think and actually had a near 10 year career bouncing around the nfl.

3XC

Big Truss
Beuerlein had a near MVP season in Carolina in his late 30s. Sometimes older QBs put it together for a 2-3 year period.

McCown is an almost ideal stopgap starter. Grateful to be there, football IQ, gamer, no injury history, think of him as the anti-Vick.

Instead of throwing rookies to the wolves, as is the new NFL norm, bring in McCown and let him get wrecked on a 2-3 win team while your rookie learns the game. Houston, are you listening? No? Ok cool, enjoy seeing your #1 overall pick limping around RG3 style.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
mccown is in a great situation. great targets, great offensive minded coach. something the bears have had never. backup qb's have never had a chance to succeed in chicago, including mccown before trestman and his system came in

hbwb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not crazy about throwing a rookie qb to the wolves without some bench seasoning like 3 noted. I think in the long run it is better in most cases to wait. A lot of these guys who wash out might have had a good career if they had learned for a couple years before taking the field.

p17

jeffrey was rated the highest wr in last years draft by some. he's a good kid, keeps his head down, his mouth shut, and plays hard. will never be a diva

Mike Bradley

Addicted to Softballfans
HatersGonnaHate-500pxWide.gif

hbwb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blackmon is a troubled kid. Rams dodged a bullet by having jags leap frog them for him. I wanted jeffrey from the beginning but they drafted that minor league kid instead.

TRaj2327

I'm not saying that McCown is Brady. I'm saying that he has been damn good this year and they should keep it in the hot hand. Some guys just bloom late. It happens. Maybe he has found something he didn't have before.

His numbers this season dwarf many of Cutler's. He's been smart with the football and thrown just 1 pick in 7 games and his QB rating is 3rd in the league behind Peyton and Nick Foles and is #1 in total QBR. Is he Peyton Manning? Hell no. Is he Tom Brady? Hell no. Is Jay Cutler either of those guys? No ****ing way.

McCown has given the Bears the best chance to win in each of the games he played. Plain and simple.

McCown vs. Cutler
Comp Pct - 69 vs. 63
QB Rating - 110 vs. 85
Yards/Game - 258 vs. 239
Yards/Attempt - 8.2 vs. 7.2
TD - 13 vs. 13
INT - 1 vs. 8

It's pretty clear.

p17

where's the stat for 'should have been interecepted'? cutler usually leads the world in those, but mccown has been extremely lucky with those. mccowns numbers are great and there is no denying that, but did you watch the last vikings game in it's entirety? should have been easily won, but mccown sucked in a lot of situations there. let's all forget the terrible defenses mccown has played, too. cutler was on his way to being great before he initially got hurt

joee5

Addicted to Softballfans
the offense is in sync with McCown. Cutler missed a **** load of weeks and may be rusty.

TRaj2327

where's the stat for 'should have been interecepted'? cutler usually leads the world in those, but mccown has been extremely lucky with those. mccowns numbers are great and there is no denying that, but did you watch the last vikings game in it's entirety? should have been easily won, but mccown sucked in a lot of situations there. let's all forget the terrible defenses mccown has played, too. cutler was on his way to being great before he initially got hurt

I did watch the entire game, but looking at numbers alone for that game, he had what most would consider a great game. Let's not forget that Gould missed a game winner that he should have easily made and you wouldn't even have made this point. He's been automatic at that distance basically his entire career.

p17

mccown opponents vs the pass
21st
26th
25th
18th
29th
31st

cutler
8th
29th
11th
4th
13th

TRaj2327

mccown opponents vs the pass
21st
26th
25th
18th
29th
31st

cutler
8th
29th
11th
4th
13th

What is that supposed to mean? The middle of the Bears schedule was garbage? We don't know how he would do against a better defense.

Last edited: