Bears to start Jay Cutler

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I'm not saying that McCown is Brady. I'm saying that he has been damn good this year and they should keep it in the hot hand. Some guys just bloom late. It happens. Maybe he has found something he didn't have before.

His numbers this season dwarf many of Cutler's. He's been smart with the football and thrown just 1 pick in 7 games and his QB rating is 3rd in the league behind Peyton and Nick Foles and is #1 in total QBR. Is he Peyton Manning? Hell no. Is he Tom Brady? Hell no. Is Jay Cutler either of those guys? No ****ing way.

McCown has given the Bears the best chance to win in each of the games he played. Plain and simple.

McCown vs. Cutler
Comp Pct - 69 vs. 63
QB Rating - 110 vs. 85
Yards/Game - 258 vs. 239
Yards/Attempt - 8.2 vs. 7.2
TD - 13 vs. 13
INT - 1 vs. 8

It's pretty clear.

clear that cutler played against 3 top 10 pass d's and mccown hasn't faced one?

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I did watch the entire game, but looking at numbers alone for that game, he had what most would consider a great game. Let's not forget that Gould missed a game winner that he should have easily made and you wouldn't even have made this point. He's been automatic at that distance basically his entire career.

he only got the opportunity on a some fluky facemask call.

mccown is 2-2 against turds. nominal qb's put up numbers when they are down and bad pass d give cushions.

TRaj2327

he only got the opportunity on a some fluky facemask call.

mccown is 2-2 against turds. nominal qb's put up numbers when they are down and bad pass d give cushions.

Shhh. I know. Almost 100% to blame on the defense though.

Reality is that the majority of people around these parts want to stick with the hot hand.

I'm heading to the game this weekend myself, so I just hope that whoever does play (Cutler), doesn't **** it up.

Hambo

Starting Player
Josh McCown = Rich Gannon

Same age (Gannon was 34 in 1999 when he started a string of 4 Pro-Bowl seasons with the Raiders), same coach, both journeyman washouts...

rat bastard

Todd Collins

GP---Comp---Att---Comp%---Yds---Avg---TD---Lng--Int--Fum--QBR---Rate

4----67------105--- 63.08----888---8.46---5----54---0----3----54.7--106.4

McCown

7---147---220---66.8---1809---8.22---13 ---80---1---2----85.7----109.8

The Todd Collins reference is nearly a parallel to what's going on with the Bears. Jason Campbell could have played, but they went with the "hot hand" theory and lost. Collins went 3-0 starting with 5 TD's and no INT's and the Redskins tried the "hot hand" fallacy into the playoffs. He threw two INTs for TD's and Seattle smoked them.

You play the better player. You can read why the "hot hand" theory is a statistical fallacy if you'd like.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
where's the stat for 'should have been interecepted'? cutler usually leads the world in those, but mccown has been extremely lucky with those. mccowns numbers are great and there is no denying that, but did you watch the last vikings game in it's entirety? should have been easily won, but mccown sucked in a lot of situations there. let's all forget the terrible defenses mccown has played, too. cutler was on his way to being great before he initially got hurt

Right just alone against Dallas on Monday if the Dallas defenders could feel their fingers they would have had at least 3 picks that McCown threw right into their hands. The one INT he did throw was called back for a penalty and two of the other 3 drops would have gone for pick 6's. The one point everyone has missed in all of this is McCown has sucked in every offense he's ever been part of, coaches know that and unless another team is running the Trestman offense he's going to fail there too. I'll agree he's playing out of his ass right now but Alshon, Marshall and Bennett are making him look like studs. He's thrown up a lot of hail mary's that they have come down with.

Lastly, the offensive line has gotten so much better in the last month and has finally come close to completely gelling as a legit line. Garza was the only one from last year when the season started and two of the new ones are rookies who keep improving each week. Jay didn't have that luxury as the beginning of the season that McCown has now.

Oh and two of those 8 picks were tipped by Bears WRs right into defensive players hands.

I'm not a huge Cutler fan but they have to play him to figure out what they are going to do with him at the end of the year. If he succeeds and plays as well at the end of the season as he did at the beginning then he COULD be the QB of the future, McCown is definitely not the future.

3XC

Big Truss
The Todd Collins reference is nearly a parallel to what's going on with the Bears. Jason Campbell could have played, but they went with the "hot hand" theory and lost. Collins went 3-0 starting with 5 TD's and no INT's and the Redskins tried the "hot hand" fallacy into the playoffs. He threw two INTs for TD's and Seattle smoked them.

You play the better player. You can read why the "hot hand" theory is a statistical fallacy if you'd like.

Except you frame it as a hot hand debate as if its a complete given that Jay Cutler is the best quarterback on the team. The Pro-McCown argument is not framed in that he is the hot hand, but that he's the best chance to win right now, in a season where a division title is not out of the question. Which quarterback gives the Bears the best chance to win right now, this week, next week, and in Week 17?

Except you frame it as a hot hand debate as if its a complete given that Jay Cutler is the best quarterback on the team. The Pro-McCown argument is not framed in that he is the hot hand, but that he's the best chance to win right now, in a season where a division title is not out of the question. Which quarterback gives the Bears the best chance to win right now, this week, next week, and in Week 17?

I was addressing them. That was being said as the basis for the argument in this very thread.

The Bears know which quarterback gives them the best chance to win and everyone on the team has been on message in telling you so the entire time. It's not a mystery and it's not even a debate internally. It's the great Chicago backup quarterback love that we've seen for years.

3XC

Big Truss
Its arguable that the team is more concerned with unity and their expensive prima donnas confidence than in putting the best 53 guys on the field. They are perfectly valid considerations after all.

I say this as a Ravens fan who saw how McCown played before all this hullaballoo started. I'm 100% certain a mistake prone, risk taking, go for broke QB would have lost that game for the Bears. The Ravens dared McCown to beat them and he did, but not by playing like a guy auditioning for a job and jamming throws into coverage. He looked like a wizened late career Chad Pennington, doing exactly enough to win.

Mike Bradley

Addicted to Softballfans
if cutler was not a free agent, i dont think this would be a issue. since cutler is a FA, the bears dont want to upset him by not playing him, even if it means that they do not win these games and make the playoffs. upsetting him they prob feel like he wouldnt sign there.