Best Legal Modified Pitchers (10 Man Style)

Stallion9

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree, here in FL there are several GREAT pitchers!
Are there any modified leagues in Orlando? I used to live there as a kid and don't remember ever seeing anyone playing anything but slowpitch. Just curious.

I agree, if there are so many good pitchers, then why didn't any of them and their teams make the trek up to GA last year for nationals?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Are there any modified leagues in Orlando? I used to live there as a kid and don't remember ever seeing anyone playing anything but slowpitch. Just curious.

I agree, if there are so many good pitchers, then why didn't any of them and their teams make the trek up to GA last year for nationals?

Several leagues here in Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, Miami, Port St Lucie, jacksonville etc. The state is filled with them.

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
For those of us who Don't know these pitchers, using their nick names means nothing to us, so what is Patty Macs real name ? Wiley, ect, ?

wobbyy23

gary thomas...theres a name from the past faced him in turfler .....and not so successful at bats for me lol

BLAR13

Addicted to Softballfans
Patty maclinton. Wiley Billings

Gary is a slinger and does not qualify for this list

NYSoftball20

Addicted to Softballfans
i thought it was 3 all amer.

From ASA website -
Nominations can be made only by ASA commissioners, past presidents and commissioner emeritus. No more than two nominations per year can be made by these individuals.

Fast Pitch:
Pre 1951: If a player competed from 1933 through 1950, he or she will be judged on the material available during those years because All-American records aren't complete and second-team All-America teams weren't started until 19
1951-1985: To be considered a player must have been named to three All-American teams. If a player has any combination of five All-Star teams, he/she will be considered. Nominations should include how the player performed at the national championship level, including listing statistics and if the nominee led the national championship in a specific category (example: batting champion).
Post 1985: To be nominated, a player must have been selected to a minimum five All-American teams and /or a combination of seven All-Star Fast Pitch Series/All-American teams

It says fastpitch but modified is considered modified/fastpitch by ASA

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
From ASA website -
Nominations can be made only by ASA commissioners, past presidents and commissioner emeritus. No more than two nominations per year can be made by these individuals.

Fast Pitch:
Pre 1951: If a player competed from 1933 through 1950, he or she will be judged on the material available during those years because All-American records aren't complete and second-team All-America teams weren't started until 19
1951-1985: To be considered a player must have been named to three All-American teams. If a player has any combination of five All-Star teams, he/she will be considered. Nominations should include how the player performed at the national championship level, including listing statistics and if the nominee led the national championship in a specific category (example: batting champion).
Post 1985: To be nominated, a player must have been selected to a minimum five All-American teams and /or a combination of seven All-Star Fast Pitch Series/All-American teams

It says fastpitch but modified is considered modified/fastpitch by ASA

yep
u just said alot

KATMAN23

Addicted to Softballfans
binky has played for teams like swash, l and p , axemen very good solid pitcher with good vol. and knuckle i think he would be ok just as i man said cross over might hurt him

Jonny Ballgame

Addicted to Softballfans
Best I've played with

Anyone ever seen Rick Eaton's (Betts, Warren, Pa.) knuckleball in his prime? How would it compare to this Patty Mac guy? And Moats was awfully tough in his prime. Both are still awfully good in their late 40's/early 50's.

wobbyy23

i dont know about eaton..but patty macs knuckleball is probably best i have seen...yes most of these pitchers whether it is strict modified or sling are from northeast ...

Stallion9

Addicted to Softballfans
The trick to being an effective knucklball pitcher is disguising it. If you are showing it to early, it becomes a factor of the weather (i.e. showing early w/ no wind = meatball, showing early w/ wind = still tough to hit). Patty Mac throws his knuckleball and fastball with the same motion and is deceptive, which keeps hitters off balance.

Al White was the same way back in the day. Same motion and deceptive with the knuckleball.

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
Greg,
gary thomas? really?

no doubt the man was very good and one of the toughest I ever faced but he practically threw sidearm. I know the legality rules were changed year to year, tourny to tourny, but I would've hoped someone even remotely legal would get nominated before him, Ralph Mish aside.

there was a guy who played in the 70's and 80's(maybe the 90's too). threw really hard with a real hard nuckler.....name escapes me at the moment. My Dad says he was the best pitcher he ever faced/saw. including Ralph

I'm not trying to knock Gary Thomas, but I wouldnt consider him the best I ever saw, but he was the 2nd most "illegal" to the lefty on ....Stafford tire?... white and orange team from boston area...been around forever? that guy did throw sidearm

Frank C

Last edited:

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
Rick {Rock} Eaton, knuckleball was/is good but if you didn't swing at the ones belt high it would float out of the srtike zone which would frustate him and he got easier to hit , and if you hit him , he was gone .

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
No idea the pitcher but white and orange could be the "Hawks"

talked to my father. it was tighe club
not sure of the spelling on that.
I havent played on the traveling teams in about 5 years. but I saw this guy at quite a few tournys with tighe and other boston area teams.
tall lefty. I'd say in his mid 30's/early 40's now. guy threw like dan quisenberry

he also mention a guy Meagher?
not sure of the spelling also.
said he and alan white(other guy I was thinking about) were 2 of the best he ever saw.
both threw hard nucklers

Last edited: