Best Legal Modified Pitchers (10 Man Style)

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
I beleive it was Donnie Meader who pitched with the Tighe Club, the other guy that pitched for Stafford was Ronnie Burns who was the best I've ever seen.

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
donnie meader, that was it, but he's not the illegal guy I was referring to. he's just one of the guys my father said was VERY good. guess it was just the same team.

I caught Ronnie for a few years and even tho he was past his prime was still very good. I would have liked to be able to catch him in his prime.
altho he did make it difficult by not allowing the catcher to call the game. he would just throw whatever he wanted.
those little risers always made me wish I had a bigger glove, haha.

NY2435

Addicted to Softballfans
I think too much emphasis on what pitching is considered legal/illegal has killed and continues to kill men's modified and fastpitch game. Especially at the league or C tournament level. It prevents young pitchers from wanting to even bother. It is not an easy thing to take up, at least for the vast majority of would be pitchers.

TC26

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitchers didn't used to have a problem complying.

It's like a b-baller being in love with the dunk - this obsession with slinging.

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
I think too much emphasis on what pitching is considered legal/illegal has killed and continues to kill men's modified and fastpitch game. Especially at the league or C tournament level. It prevents young pitchers from wanting to even bother. It is not an easy thing to take up, at least for the vast majority of would be pitchers.

as someone who grew up watching modified on the national level and then playing it myself, there real problem I see is that a certain few ASA officials let more and more go(pitching legality wise) in their home areas. Teams would go play at "regional commissioner X's" tourny and their pitcher would be legal. the same team would then go play somewhere else and the pitcher would be illegal.

naturally the team complains. after enough complaints and pressure from commissioner X the rules are changed and changed again and again and again and again to allow more and more people to pitch.

the rules are bastardized and now since anyone can pitch, it basically comes down to whoever has the biggest wallet. players are payed to play. payed to move from one state to another, 1 country to another or even 1 continent to another. I kid you not. all in the name of softball pitching.

IT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

now if only commissioner X had stuck by his guns and kept the rules the same..................

.......those pitchers would have had to adjust their style to become legal, or just stop pitching.
.......the leagues would not be as pitching dominant as, lets face it, you cannot legally throw a curveball and in many casses a drop or rise(depending upon how its thrown).
......since the "elite" pitchers arent so..."elite", it encourages more teams to go to the tournys as teams feel even tho they dont have the best pitcher, they have one whos pretty good and they can compete
.....it encourages more people to try out pitching(and actually work at becoming legal) as they are not intimidated by the "i'll never be as good as that guy"

I can go on and on.

what they should have done was establish a definite set of rules and stick to them.

I dont recall if it was 1975 or 76(afterall I wasnt tehre, my dad told me) but they took the #2 pitcher from a team. took video of him and even had him come throw some for all the umpires of the modified major national to see. he was being shown as the "perfect" example of a "legal" major modified pitcher.

the very next year he was banged illegal and tossed from a game at the nationals because of it.

does this make any sense?

I've seen this man pitch. he is the epitome of legal.

I'm at a national in...2000 maybe? L&P or adco or whatever team Greg Leather was running at the time wins. think Reggie was MVP.
anyway, the pitcher i mentioned a few posts back, the big illegal lefty....he literally threw sidearm, but because you could see daylight between his legs at all times, he was deemed legal. basically what the rules had become(and confirmed by me, a catcher at this national) was you, as a pitcher could do whatever you wanted aslong as the ump could always see daylight between your legs and you threw underhanded

comical to say the least

I think I've gone off target here, I'm dont ranting for now. just gets me upset that modified softball is dying because pitchers are being allowed to do whatever they want and to a slightly lesser degree, some teams have MONSTER sized bankrolls

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
and just to add..

sling isnt the problem. Ralph Miscione was a sling pitcher but he was legal(only pitcher in ASA modified hall of fame). he kept his hips square and his wrist locked and tight to his body.

its just the sling pitchers of today are nowhere near square, the wrists are ****ed and turned 10 different ways and are at times a foot or more off the hip.
its basically windmill without the jump

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
what exactly is modified 10 man?? i played fp but havent played or head of 10 man modified in my area...

I'm going to assume you know what modified is.

10man is the same as 9man just with (usually)stricter pitching rules and a 10th player in the field.

NY2435

Addicted to Softballfans
Well again the problem might lie in the fact that there are so many versions of "non"-slowpitch softball. You have modified 10 man "bowling motion", you have slingshot 9 or 10 man, you have windmill and then you have concoctions of all three.

Personally, I am a proponent of full windmill I think it is a more natural motion and I think why not make the sport as challenging to the hitter as possible. If your from up north/closer to canada that is what is played. I know down state/NJ it is variations of modified that are more popular.

But even with windmill you get things like can you crow hop or not. So it is essentially the same argument. The ISF just implemented such a new rule that essentially banned crow hoping to the point were the undisputed top Mens windmill pitcher in the world, Adam Folkard withdrew from international competition rather than be called out about it during a game.

I am just always going to tend to side from the pitcher. But I will say it must suck to try to hit a 6'4" jacked up pitcher that is hopping 10 feet off the rubber and essentially throwing an 85mph heater from 35 feet away, like Folkard has been known to do...

NYSoftball20

Addicted to Softballfans
Greg,
gary thomas? really?

no doubt the man was very good and one of the toughest I ever faced but he practically threw sidearm. I know the legality rules were changed year to year, tourny to tourny, but I would've hoped someone even remotely legal would get nominated before him, Ralph Mish aside.

there was a guy who played in the 70's and 80's(maybe the 90's too). threw really hard with a real hard nuckler.....name escapes me at the moment. My Dad says he was the best pitcher he ever faced/saw. including Ralph

I'm not trying to knock Gary Thomas, but I wouldnt consider him the best I ever saw, but he was the 2nd most "illegal" to the lefty on ....Stafford tire?... white and orange team from boston area...been around forever? that guy did throw sidearm

Frank C

I was responding about a question on how to get someone in the HOF, not debating if Gary was legal. Nobody can deny that Gary was an All American 7 times so obviously he was not deemed illegal very often in National play. We can debate if that was a good thing or not but the fact remains he was the most successful pitcher in this history of modified and clearly belongs in the HOF.

soch07747

Extra Hitter
can anyone tell me where these big national tournaments are? Ive been pitching for about 3 years now and the best ive seen is drifton. im pretty new to the game but can hold my own pitching so im thinking about next level... but first ive got to see it!

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
can anyone tell me where these big national tournaments are? Ive been pitching for about 3 years now and the best ive seen is drifton. im pretty new to the game but can hold my own pitching so im thinking about next level... but first ive got to see it!

think there is a thread in this subforum listing all the modified tournys.

Stallion9

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree that the unclarity of what was legal/illegal contributed to the reduction in modified teams, however I don't think it was a big deterrent from preventing younger pitchers from trying to throw. I think a big factor that deterred younger players from toeing the robber is the increasing technology of the bats and balls. Young guys just don't want to step on the mound in fear of being hit with a line drive. The bats nowadays are ridiculous in combination with the high compression balls that are used in most tournaments. ASA has done a good job at changing the bat testing standards and making it known what bats are illegal, but if you look at when they implemented the new rules, I think there is a strong correlation to the team count reduction. Take into account that every jackwagon out there wants to hit the ball 400 feet, doesn't want to toe the rubber and new restrictions = a downturn in the game. That's why slowpitch is so big in this country. Less restrictions and every jackwagon can feed his ego and hit a ball 400 feet with juiced balls and bats. Just my $0.02.

Anyways, this thread was started to discuss who is the best modified pitchers out there. 10 man is a good fair game. Pitching for the most part can't dominate a game. You have to have timely hitting, play good defense and have a decent pitcher to be competitive. Any team can win on any given day.

Jubb16

Addicted to Softballfans
You'll definately see some of the best modified pitchers in Drifton. I play in the northeast (NH) and we see many of those same pitcher in tournaments up here. Have only played out west once, so it's hard to compare.

TC26

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are on the East Coast

Check the list for the Middletown and Monticello NY tourneys

That's the upper tier.

Good luck.

Coachb12

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe we can take some of those Jackwagons to Namby Pamby Land and give them some self confidence and legal bats.

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
We picked Wiley up for Memorial Day in New York a few years ago. His motion is legit 10 Man. Solid pitcher good speed and has movement. And he got real drunk and bought our table dinner and drinks.

I am going to start recruiting for the 4th of July right after the New Year. I already had a few board bros ask about it. I would like to do 4 MI teams and 6 out of state teams. Right now preliminary talks it looks like 2 WI teams and 1 PA team for sure and possibly a second PA team. Wiley's team and I would like to get a New York team back. Black Indians or Fort Apache.
Who would be the two WI teams?

TPS (since they were there last year) and ??? The Box??

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
binks is more legal than anyone on here, and anyone who says that he isnt is full or crap
I would argue that Todd Albrecht (also known as Odie) is as legal as they get. I can think of only one National Tournament in the last 5-10 years where he has been called illegal, and that was on his home field in Fon du Lac in 2009.

jpny22

Coach
legal modified pitchers Really good

I thought this might be an interesting thread to start up.

Who are the best legal modified pitchers still playing the game today (10 man style - No slingers)?

Thought Starters:
ASA 2010 All American Pitchers: Jim Moats, Ray Randall, David Kwaiser
ASA 2009 All American Pitchers: Ken Menale, Ray Randall, Mike Seibel
ASA 2008 All American Pitchers: Chris McCauliffe, Ken Menale, Jim Moats
ASA 2007 All American Pitchers: Todd Albrecht, Ray Randall, Bobby Greene
ASA 2006 All American Pitchers: Dean Martin, Todd Albrecht, Ken Menale

The national championship is on the line, who do you want on the mound?

Juan Rivera AKA Macho or John Posanti AKA J.R

heyblue

Addicted to Softballfans
Odie is pretty good, and he did have a game in Fond du Luc where he was called alot, but he has been called a few other times. What makes him so good as a 10 man pitcher is he knows where each umpire will draw the line.

Stallion9

Addicted to Softballfans
I would argue that Todd Albrecht (also known as Odie) is as legal as they get. I can think of only one National Tournament in the last 5-10 years where he has been called illegal, and that was on his home field in Fon du Lac in 2009.
Agreed. Odie is definitely one of the better active legal modified pitchers in the country. I also agree that he knows when he can get away with opening it up a little bit, but all good pitchers will tell you they do the same thing.