Best outfield gloves if price doesn't matter

poalrisxltsp

Addicted to Softballfans
My work has a new wellness policy and we get $600 a year to spend on wellness/sports related things. I usually just expense my gym membership but have never owned a high end glove and would like to. What are some of the better high end gloves?

Thanks

CrashDavus

There are tons to choose from, including size, maker, model. What have you used in the past? Are you looking for smaller/bigger, different brand. There are a lot of options to go from. How much of that $600 are you looking to spend? There are a ton of ways you can go.

DatDuke

Best does not necessary - High End - or most expensive. Its the glove that fits your needs, size and your play style. But Rawlings and Wilson probably offer the most options that can be customized to fit. You will need to try on alot of gloves to find out what fits. I will suggest spending your $600 for a few USED gloves first, once you found out what you like and not like, you can spend top dollars to have Rawlings or Wilson to customize you a grail piece.

poalrisxltsp

Addicted to Softballfans
I currently have a 13inch Nokona that I think I paid 100-150. I would have no issues spending 300 to 400 on a new one

Last edited:

CrashDavus

Best does not necessary - High End - or most expensive. Its the glove that fits your needs, size and your play style. But Rawlings and Wilson probably offer the most options that can be customized to fit. You will need to try on alot of gloves to find out what fits. I will suggest spending your $600 for a few USED gloves first, once you found out what you like and not like, you can spend top dollars to have Rawlings or Wilson to customize you a grail piece.

True, if you have a Play-it Again Sports or something similar you could probably find a good variety to try.

DatDuke

Or go to a Mom and Pop sporting good store, ask them when they'll have a GLOVE day when major glove manufacture reps are there to answer any questions that you might have. Also you can try out their different patterns. I buy used gloves to try out, find the one that fits me, re-sell those I discounted, finally; design and make my custom order with Chad here. WaaLaa you have your Best Glove for alot less than $600. You can even make some $ with the re-sale to fund your Next Grail Glove.

Soxfan8

Starting Player
People will tell you that you don't have to spend that much to get a good glove. It's true, but it sounds like you want to, which I get.

I'm a fan of Mizuno Pros, but a custom Rawlings PP or Wilson A2k are probably your safest bets to feel like you're getting good value at your price point. There are tons of opinions here about pattern choices. But, anything that suits you in a 12.5'' and up pattern would be stuff to check out.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Mizuno Pro Limited would be (and is) my #1 choice. Alternatively you could go the custom route with Wilson or Rawlings. Downside to custom is you have to wait for it to be made and delivered. Upside is it's the best quality you can get from Wilson/Rawlings and you can get it exactly the way you want it.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Do you like open back or fastback? what kind of webbing do you like? do you like a stiff glove or softer? what size do you prefer?
There are a bunch of things like this that can help us point you in a direction.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
My work has a new wellness policy and we get $600 a year to spend on wellness/sports related things. I usually just expense my gym membership but have never owned a high end glove and would like to. What are some of the better high end gloves?

Thanks
Where do you work? And are you hiring? ;)

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I know evil mentioned an exotic Japanese custom, a Mizuno Pro Limited was mentioned also. But don't forget to at least check with Bart on a custom Glovesmith to whatever specs you want......for half of the dollar amount you listed. For what you're suggesting to spend you could easily fine someone to check on you a pro-issue Rawlings or Wilson, heck you could buy two Rawlings, two Glovesmiths, or two Wilson customs in different colors, webs, or leathers? Make everyone here jealous!

How about a tough Glovesmith in Duratan with a trap web for rainy bad weather days and a slick custom Pro Preferred Rawlings with a H-web designed to your specs through Chad here? These two will be over $600 but so what if you have to spent an extra $100 or so over with your own money:rolleyes: or get a custom HOH and you'll be about right on the money! I'd make a great politician, I love spending other people's money!

Edit: If I were dead set on spending that $600, I'd definitely buy two gloves from two different manufacturers with two different webs. But that's just me, good luck and have fun with your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYC

NYC

Swag on 100.
I know evil mentioned an exotic Japanese custom, a Mizuno Pro Limited was mentioned also. But don't forget to at least check with Bart on a custom Glovesmith to whatever specs you want......for half of the dollar amount you listed. For what you're suggesting to spend you could easily fine someone to check on you a pro-issue Rawlings or Wilson, heck you could buy two Rawlings, two Glovesmiths, or two Wilson customs in different colors, webs, or leathers? Make everyone here jealous!

How about a tough Glovesmith in Duratan with a trap web for rainy bad weather days and a slick custom Pro Preferred Rawlings with a H-web designed to your specs through Chad here? These two will be over $600 but so what if you have to spent an extra $100 or so over with your own money:rolleyes: or get a custom HOH and you'll be about right on the money! I'd make a great politician, I love spending other people's money!

Edit: If I were dead set on spending that $600, I'd definitely buy two gloves from two different manufacturers with two different webs. But that's just me, good luck and have fun with your decision.

I agree, he should at least try on a few patterns at a mom and pop store to make sure he's comfortable with the size and fit before he goes custom. Wilson custom A2k in all orange tan with a black and yellow wilson logo would be so boss.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
You're using a 12" in the outfield? Are you comfortable with that? If you are looking to make a change, find some gloves at a store and see if you cannot first find a pattern you like. Outfielders around here usually use 12.75"-13.5" gloves.

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
Id be ordering myself 2 customs with that for sure! But since you asked specifically about outfield you can't go wrong with a wilson 1799 A2k or A2000 or a rawlings 3030 (custom is where its at). And with the left over cash get yourself a Miken Freak Platinum if you play ASA or a Worth EST if you play Utrip/NSA

sleepin4matty

Management Material
have you decided on a glove? you could always try a carpenter glove. its going to consume most of that $600 but it will be perfectly fit to your hand.
I would highly recommend this if you're looking for a custom fit glove. You outline your hand on a piece of paper and provide a bunch of measurements and he makes a glove (lifetime warranty) that fits your hand perfectly

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Best OF pattern ever

18268411_1521783877833409_8517931258794596853_n.jpg
18198666_1521791624499301_4920587412958493457_n.jpg

skew12

Mizuno Pro Limited would be (and is) my #1 choice. Alternatively you could go the custom route with Wilson or Rawlings. Downside to custom is you have to wait for it to be made and delivered. Upside is it's the best quality you can get from Wilson/Rawlings and you can get it exactly the way you want it.
This. Completely.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I see your Vinci traps and raise you Mizuno mod traps!

While I love Mizuno gloves, I still prefer no bar across the top and prefer no rolled lace as the non rolled lace allows you to use the fingers of the American Style lace better. I have an old MTZ Mizo and a fastback Rawlings six finger trap in there fastback style. Need to pick up a OT6 sometime as that is the same genneral pattern as my fav Vinci patter. Trying to broaden my horizons with out busting the bank.

NYC

Swag on 100.
While I love Mizuno gloves, I still prefer no bar across the top and prefer no rolled lace as the non rolled lace allows you to use the fingers of the American Style lace better. I have an old MTZ Mizo and a fastback Rawlings six finger trap in there fastback style. Need to pick up a OT6 sometime as that is the same genneral pattern as my fav Vinci patter. Trying to broaden my horizons with out busting the bank.
Try the pro 303-ctb, VERY nice.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Get this one. It's the best glove for the money right now in my opinion. Plus whenever the lace starts to wear out you can send it back to Mizuno and they will completely relace and recondition the glove for free. The black Deguchi kip is nicer than the tan.