Best senior bats for 52/300 balls

wicked61

Addicted to Softballfans
Our senior league have switched to 52/300 balls and we are allowed to use any bat(no restrictions on bats).i was wondering how well the senior bats react to the 52/300 balls.ultras,lady virus ect. Can be used.i know some leagues out there probably have this format so any input to the advantages with these bats being used would be helpful

Marv19

Addicted to Softballfans
While in most cases no two people swing the same. You will find you will get better results with that ball using a UTrip or ASA bat. I have had seniors tell me this. Case in point Palm Springs Feb tournament. The seniors that used their UTrip bat claimed they had better results. The ball is a slug for any bat.

bugman

Geezer with no pop
While in most cases no two people swing the same. You will find you will get better results with that ball using a UTrip or ASA bat. I have had seniors tell me this. Case in point Palm Springs Feb tournament. The seniors that used their UTrip bat claimed they had better results. The ball is a slug for any bat.

The ball seems to be a challenge for those with poor swings, have used "enhanced" equipment with hot balls prior, or maybe have lost some strength due to aging or injuries. We have many 50+ players that hit these regularly 300+ with UTrip bats and even farther and harder with senior bats, from my experience.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I have been saying it from the start, 52-300 exposes Composite HR heros. Not in senior but in other levels there has been many mistake Hrs. Guys that should never be hitting balls 300 plus feet going into the trees with terrible swings. Same guys you saw for years lucky to make the outfield take a step back on a fly ball. Im not sure 52-300 is a great choice for the senior game but it has brought some order back to the other levels. If you are a true HR hitter than you will still be with 52-300. If you were a singles and doubles guy your whole life like me and suddenly the fence got closer, 52-300 put the fence back where it used to be.

bugman

Geezer with no pop
I have been saying it from the start, 52-300 exposes Composite HR heros. Not in senior but in other levels there has been many mistake Hrs. Guys that should never be hitting balls 300 plus feet going into the trees with terrible swings. Same guys you saw for years lucky to make the outfield take a step back on a fly ball. Im not sure 52-300 is a great choice for the senior game but it has brought some order back to the other levels. If you are a true HR hitter than you will still be with 52-300. If you were a singles and doubles guy your whole life like me and suddenly the fence got closer, 52-300 put the fence back where it used to be.

AMEN, this man speaks the truth:thumb:

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
My Reebok Melee Legend EL crushes the 52 300 ball, But then so does my BSR, Demarini One Senior etc...I can't imagine any senior not hitting them well.

My Reebok Melee Legend EL crushes the 52 300 ball, But then so does my BSR, Demarini One Senior etc...I can't imagine any senior not hitting them well.

softballdad...i'm with you....we use the 52-300 ball for all our leagues here(senior,mens open,coed) and the ball goes....one of our fields is at 325' while the rest are 300'.....our senior league is on the 300' field and we still get our hrs......in fact we have had more since we started using the 52-300 with senior bats over straight ASA bats and 44 balls......as i have said those tattoo's fly......

jhitman

I agree. We started using them about 5 years ago and I heard so much belly aching. Of course, the 44 cor 375 comps will fly better, but once you get use to hitting these 52's you can hit them just about as far. They also seem to hold up really well in the hot weather, whereas the 44's seem to be more mushy in the heat. I use a DC-41 USSSA bat and kills the 52's. Unfortunately, I've not had the opportunity to use any senior bats with these softballs.

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
It depends on the 52 300 ball also. Our league recently got some Dudley SY or SX 52 300's that make us cheer when the AD Starr 52 300 ball comes back it. We run and get it to throw back in and even collect them after the games from the bushes and bring them back to the next game. Feels weird when you hit a 44 375 again "heavy".

I like that the 52 300 don't break bats. My gamer Reebok has lasted two leagues when I thought it was going to explode in 5 cuts (I am sure it would have with 44 375).

jhitman

It depends on the 52 300 ball also. Our league recently got some Dudley SY or SX 52 300's that make us cheer when the AD Starr 52 300 ball comes back it. We run and get it to throw back in and even collect them after the games from the bushes and bring them back to the next game. Feels weird when you hit a 44 375 again "heavy".

I like that the 52 300 don't break bats. My gamer Reebok has lasted two leagues when I thought it was going to explode in 5 cuts (I am sure it would have with 44 375).

We use the Evils or Trumps and they are both good. Never used the AD Starr's, but remember them being horrible in the past. We would hit the 44's and sometimes they would be lopsided after 4-5 innings. I agree the 52's are less damaging on the bats. I don't feel like I am going to ever break a bat with these softballs. We sometimes hit the better softballs in BP and that's when I usually break a bat. Bat manufacturer's can't be happy about leagues switching to primarily the 52's.

bugman

Geezer with no pop
It depends on the 52 300 ball also. Our league recently got some Dudley SY or SX 52 300's that make us cheer when the AD Starr 52 300 ball comes back it. We run and get it to throw back in and even collect them after the games from the bushes and bring them back to the next game. Feels weird when you hit a 44 375 again "heavy

We have broken some bats using the 52's, but no where near as many or in as many swings as with the 44's, which we only hit in tournaments. After hitting mostly with 52's in BP, it makes hitting 44's seem like golf balls in tournaments with SR.bats...

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
I have not even hit a 44 375 with a senior bat in a while, but we recently played in an ASA tourney with them and it was amazing to see the ball fly. We used to hit 44 400 X rocks in vegas with senior bats!!!! I would also break at least one bat at each tournament there.

bugman

Geezer with no pop
I have not even hit a 44 375 with a senior bat in a while, but we recently played in an ASA tourney with them and it was amazing to see the ball fly. We used to hit 44 400 X rocks in vegas with senior bats!!!! I would also break at least one bat at each tournament there.

No doubt, try grabbing some Evil BP balls and watch them fly....and not as hard on your bats:thumb:

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll keep saying this till the cows come home. The 52/300 is like hitting a wet tampon. It sucks, sorry my opinion and a fact too.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I'll keep saying this till the cows come home. The 52/300 is like hitting a wet tampon. It sucks, sorry my opinion and a fact too.
As I said earlier I was never really a Power guy. With 52 I totally focus on topspin base hits, I dont even try to lift the ball cause all I care about is getting on base and not wasting an out.

tomtom

Addicted to Softballfans
we used them this year. Well hit balls die in the outfield.
Hated this ball. It seriously cut down on home runs.
But, they are hard and can hurt the fielders.

ABLXTRA

veteran

yes if your hitting a bad ball.

hit an Evil, x-rock or a trump stote, even the dudley is not bad. try these you may change your mind

ETDave

Old School
I don't understand all the hate for the 52's. We have used them in our senior league the last couple of years and homeruns are up quite a bit from what I can tell.

jhitman

I don't mind the 52's and had a good chance to compare last Fall. I played 1 league that used 44 cor 375's and 1 league that used 52 cor 300's. The HR's were definitely a lot less with the 52's. The 44's you could mis-hit and still hit it out. I don't mind either way, but my personal preference would be the 44's.

jhitman

The ball seems to be a challenge for those with poor swings, have used "enhanced" equipment with hot balls prior, or maybe have lost some strength due to aging or injuries. We have many 50+ players that hit these regularly 300+ with UTrip bats and even farther and harder with senior bats, from my experience.

You are not in that challenged category and you could probably hit them out with a broomstick.

ABLXTRA

veteran
I like the 52's much better. They stay more consistent as it gets hot and humid while the 44's seem to soften up.

bugman

Geezer with no pop
You are not in that challenged category and you could probably hit them out with a broomstick.

I think the reality is, these balls bring back the true home run hitters, who have put time in the gym
or work on their swings, or both. I agree if you are of a certain age and/or skill level, than they should use the 44's, but 50yr Olds with hot Sr.bats should not be hitting 44's, and hitting the 52's, IMO..

jhitman

I think the reality is, these balls bring back the true home run hitters, who have put time in the gym
or work on their swings, or both. I agree if you are of a certain age and/or skill level, than they should use the 44's, but 50yr Olds with hot Sr.bats should not be hitting 44's, and hitting the 52's, IMO..

I agree if the senior bats are as hot as everyone says they are. They did not allow senior bats in the league I played in, but we could use the USSSA bats. I have a DC-41 and it absolutely kills the 44's. I agree also with the your assessment on the 52's. We only have about 5-8 of us that hit HR's on a regular basis with the 52's. I think that's the way it should be IMO.

Last edited: