Best stick for the new ASA ball .52 cor 300 Comp

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
had a tri-shell that the barrel became almost triangle shaped after using it in a frostbite league one fall. One side flattened so started hitting other side and it morphed into some weird triangle shape. Hit the crap out of the ball, though.

ht2

Addicted to Softballfans
Warning: Noob question: I've read several folks state emphatically that a stiff bat is best for these lower compression balls. Why is that? Especially with a faster swing and a stiff bat, at a certain point aren't you going to compress the ball so much that you will lose a lot of the kinetic energy? Not apples to apples, but sort of like how you can hit a wiffle ball farther with a wiffle ball bat instead of an Extended. The wiffle ball absorbs way too much impact with the Ext to fly very well. Not a great example, but it's all I could come up with.

I haven't had a chance to hit a lot of different bats vs the 52/300, so this is me just thinking aloud and with no empirical evidence, but it almost seems to me like a flexier bat that compresses the ball less and thus wastes less of the energy might work better, sort of what jasonhud is alluding to in post #29. Someone explain the science please.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton sts6 tri-shell kills mush balls. The model I have is blue, not green.
The st1-z works quite well and will not dent unless abused lol.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been researching this new ball for a while now and i can not find many answers.

The people i have spoken to that have used these new balls, hate them! One guy was able to take a few out of the park though. I have yet to play with one yet. One league starts this coming monday and the other league first game was cancelled this week because of the weather.

Burger1976

Banned User
Thanks for your thoughts. My weapon of choice currently is Easton Synergy CNT Plus SCN2 for USSSA.

Get the new synergy 98 in the same weight and don't ever hit anything harder than a 52/300 ball with it. The new Easton line is ready to go right out of the wrapper.

Redman

Get the new synergy 98 in the same weight and don't ever hit anything harder than a 52/300 ball with it. The new Easton line is ready to go right out of the wrapper.

This^^^ put down my exts for the SY98 for this pos ball. 50 hits with a harder ball (40/375+) and its very gtg.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Again, as I've already stated in this thread, whatever you're already hitting the ball well with is what you'll hit the .52/300 well with. There is no magic bat for this thing, it's almost entirely on the hitter to perform well.

I've hit it well with Recoils, SCN5s, SCN9s, Freak DSTs, Maniac 282s, an Afflicted, a TechZilla, an SCN1B, SCN5Bs, and when I can figure out how to swing the stupid thing (just doesn't fit me), even my SCN2B hits 'em just fine. I've used the orange Craze and SCN4 to hit it well, and I've seen people hit it just fine with the Blackout (another bat that doesn't fit me at all). Strange coincidence, hitting a ball well with a bat you hit well with...:rolleyes:

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
Again, as I've already stated in this thread, whatever you're already hitting the ball well with is what you'll hit the .52/300 well with. There is no magic bat for this thing, it's almost entirely on the hitter to perform well.

I've hit it well with Recoils, SCN5s, SCN9s, Freak DSTs, Maniac 282s, an Afflicted, a TechZilla, an SCN1B, SCN5Bs, and when I can figure out how to swing the stupid thing (just doesn't fit me), even my SCN2B hits 'em just fine. I've used the orange Craze and SCN4 to hit it well, and I've seen people hit it just fine with the Blackout (another bat that doesn't fit me at all). Strange coincidence, hitting a ball well with a bat you hit well with...:rolleyes:

Spot on here.... NO BAT will OUTPERFORM another bad enough to make it a "got to have" bat to hit .52 core balls, Ive crushed balls with the RD28 (flexy) and crushed balls with an SY98 (stiffer) doesnt matter, if you can hit you will hit just fine with these balls.. My tourny team isnt full of monsters that can mash but we have 4-5 guys that can go out when they want and we use our shells every game like we always have....... now if we could just get on base before we hit them ;)

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
x2

Not saying that anything other than just agreeing with Gamble, that I too have had very good luck against the 52/300 with the Orange Craze as well as two of my teammates. They both own the same bat. I'll just leave it at that.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
not sure why anyone would call the 52/300 a 'mush ball'.....

Setting up excuses for when they fail to perform with their hot bats.

Of course, you may note many of those already whining admittedly haven't yet played with this ball, though I wouldn't doubt there is a lot of experience with others. :D

blov10

Nortadakota
I know you are good guy, and probably haven't been able to get out much yet to hit it up there, but honestly the other night, when we were using the XRocks and Dudley HyCon's we didn't see any out of the ordinary hops, just the ones off the lip of the infield, which is nothing unusual. Ball speed off the bat seemed to be a little less, but if cut, the ball will still sail, unless you were hitting most of your HR's 5 to 10 ft over the fence as glorified pop outs with the 44/375.

Seriously, guys need to learn how to hit before bitching about this ball. It flies just fine. Hitters will hit, bitches will *****. And call me nuts, but the bat with the most flex in my bag, hits them better than the stiff stuff. Almost like a broomstick and tennis ball feel. And I like it. To quote Gru from Despicable Me, "Light Bulb". I'll let everyone else figure that out on their own. ;) If you can hit an asa juggy against it I would, fortunately for me, I get to swing the voodoo child below in the sig against it, due to the restrictions on the bat list being lifted here locally.

Actually, there are bats that hit these balls better. That's why ASA has bat standards and now switching to another ball. If it didn't matter what anybody used, this wouldn't be an issue.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, there are bats that hit these balls better. That's why ASA has bat standards and now switching to another ball. If it didn't matter what anybody used, this wouldn't be an issue.

Reading comprehension -- in context we were pretty clearly talking about currently-approved bats. There's very little difference between an F3 and a Flex with this ball, which is a very stark change from the .44/375.

No one cares that USSSA and Senior bats generally hit the .52 better than ASA bats, since that's 100% irrelevant for ASA play, since they've never been approved and will continue not to be. Awesome, go buy an SCN2 to hit it better...you'll feel like a hero in BP and still suck in your ASA games.

Your point also isn't entirely coherent, since it reads like you think that bats hitting the .52 cor ball differently is resulting in yet another ball. Just a heads up on how it reads. ;)

BullFrog21

Addicted to Softballfans
PST kills these balls all day long.

^^ This Is a FACT. ^^^....We ve been hittin 52/300's for the last 2 seasons.. My Flex hit em Good......My Extended Hits em GREAT....But this PowderShell PST I Just Traded for Works wonders on the Mush ball. Its been My Experience that the stiffer the bat, the better with the Mush balls.....and Im Not sure if there is ANYTHING...that works better on these Hot Dots.....than an old PST.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
I keep telling guys that I have personally seen the EST just destroy the 52/300 hot dots....the Z and Salvo get a lot of love in my area (and for good reason since they crush the 52/300 as well) but for a bat that can be had for $45-$50 generally you can't go wrong w/the est especially if you are just a rec. league guy like me

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
lots of ppl laugh at them bcus they are so cheap and old but est's kill the 52/300, my league uses worth hot dots and guys with the est's kill it and so do both the 11' and 12' Z's

guys in my league don't do much damage with the Salvos

I keep telling guys that I have personally seen the EST just destroy the 52/300 hot dots....the Z and Salvo get a lot of love in my area (and for good reason since they crush the 52/300 as well) but for a bat that can be had for $45-$50 generally you can't go wrong w/the est especially if you are just a rec. league guy like me

Make up your dam mind on the Salvo :p For the new ball I use A Salvo and get just as good results as my 5K swing OG Ext .

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Make up your dam mind on the Salvo :p For the new ball I use A Salvo and get just as good results as my 5K swing OG Ext .

well i can say 1 team in particular does quite well w/a salvo....i think they all pitched in and bought it as a team bat...it prob. has well over 1k hits on it and about 5 of them do serious damage w/it....i guess i cld have been a little more clear w/my post :eek:

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
If you like Easton bats, get the SRV5 Salvo and it will hit the 52/300 ball fine. We have been hitting that ball every tournament and I cannot really see a difference. Just like anything....players adjust.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA

Picked up an old 2000 EST CW in excellent condition at a yard sale last week...2 bucks. Hit a nice bomb with it yesterday in league.

strategy8

i'd rather be golfing...
i like my MLC, and my new Anderson...

seen some shots with our teams z1000 and some shots with Salvo's from other teams...
seen a couple shots by a team mate with my AVR...
seen tons of other easton's that have sent some shots out, (seems to be a league wide favorite brand trend)...
seen some shots with pre-ABi's
OG and 2nd batch Juggy shots...

the White Steel i've seen send some shots out...

but the simple fact is, there's tons of good bats out there to choose from,that it really all comes down to what you like to swing...

all the different bat qualities;
weight; stiffer vs. flexy; single vs. multy wall; one piece vs. two piece; outer sleeve vs. inner; balanced vs. endload; centered sweet spot vs. closer to the end?

i mean there's SOOOOO many variables... so like it's been said here, whatever you're swinging in Utrip, find an ASA bat with the same qaulities mentioned above...
that's not necessarily as simple as "the ASA version" of your Utrip bat though, as sometimes they're totally different in feel form one to the other, despite being the same brand, and same "name", but rather then name recognition, look for a bat with all the same qualities that seemed to work best for you elsewhere...

they're all gonna suck compared to the utrip's, but if the overall build features, feel, swing, and sweet spot are very close to the same as what worked in Utrip, then your success should be very close to the same as well...

so instead of asking "which bat is the best ASA stick", which only fuels the fires of the loyalists, and everyone has their own opinions because of this that and the other things, plus everyone has their preferences as to what suits their swing styles, a better question might be; "i really liked my ________ (bat) that i used in Utrip leagues, so what ASA bat would best suit me with the same type of qualities and feel in a bat as i switch leagues"...

Addicted to Softballfans
I used my MAY98 and M7JHA this weekend in tournament using .52/300's. I had no problem hitting our Dudleys and other teams didn't seem to have any trouble hitting the Evils either. I'm not gonna buy a "Best Bat for the .52/300" because my PRE-ABI's had absolutely no problem hitting the new ball.

No "Z KOOLAID" for this guy :)

Roo

I am Iron Man.
Never say such craziness again.
I'm cereal.
I was a die hard OGRT man; but Tumblebug sold me on picking up a couple of 2012's and I gotta tell ya they have the flexy-responsiveness of a CK, and OG distance to boot.
I'm really impressed.