black ultra

hitman1313

Addicted to Softballfans
just got a new ultra 11 with the senior stamp but it does not hit as good as others. not bad just not ultra like. how many hits to break it in?

Cal50

Addicted to Softballfans
just got a new ultra 11 with the senior stamp but it does not hit as good as others. not bad just not ultra like. how many hits to break it in?

There were some Ultras last year that were out of a bad batch, but that was last year. If it was last years model you bought, could be the problem. Miken is taking returns on those.

Depending on how you swing, it will open up after about 50 swings.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
It could be old stock - - or - - Miken/Worth has had so many issues/problems (uncountable) with durability that they changed the composition to help the bat last longer. At one time nothing could out hit a Miken but those days are gone as the field is pretty equal with most other bats hitting just as/if not further with a longer life.

I quit buying them because of it - you can "sound" out the bat by hitting the knob on the ground and listening to the tone of the bat like you would a tuning fork (2 fingers on the barrel softly) and bring it to your ear. The lower the tone the longer the break in period (good news - the longer it will last - thicker wall)....sound out some team mates too so you will know the difference from your new bat to their game ready bat and judge accordingly.

The higher the tone the more "open" the bat is - if it has that tone and no performance you might have gotten a dud. When I bought one with a high tone & the performance was good I was lucky to get 60 contacts out of it.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
One last thing - don't go banging the bat on concrete - etc. I ususally did in on the field/turf in a spot or indoors on a carpet. You'll hear the difference between the dull or bell sounds. Different makes carry whole different sound characteristics so sound Manu versus Manu.....