Breaking in a bat with a harder ball ?

Triffe2157

I have recently bought a new ASA bat ( demarimi mercy ). I've swung nothing but .52/300 with it, doing a bunch of tee work and BP.
My question is that , would the break in period be speed up safely if I jumped to a .44 core ball ? I realize the risk of damage to bat , so I feel tee work with .44 core is the way to go .

Hiltz

Built for comfort
.52's aren't gonna do a whole lot, I'd up the ante if I were you. No harder than .44/375 and you should be ok with that bat.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The Mercy won't need breakin. In fact, I probably wouldn't hit anything other than .52s with it. The bat has very little durability. If you hit .44s you'll trash it quickly.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I had just the opposite, all mercies I have had og, purple, and 16 all hit the 44's well with tons of durability, now I'm not the hitter tw is, but I wouldn't have a problem hitting 200 or so 44's off a tee, then going exclusively to a gamer status, look for webs and go from there, but my 16 is a team bat with well over 2000 hits with all balls for bp and passed compression in the spring

Triffe2157

The Mercy won't need breakin. In fact, I probably wouldn't hit anything other than .52s with it. The bat has very little durability. If you hit .44s you'll trash it quickly.

I have about 200 swings in a tee and about 100 from BP , it just doesn't feel like it is game ready yet. The sound is still off and the response off the ball isn't "live" yet. I'm not a super powerful hitter so I'm thinking I'll be safe .

Triffe2157

I had just the opposite, all mercies I have had og, purple, and 16 all hit the 44's well with tons of durability, now I'm not the hitter tw is, but I wouldn't have a problem hitting 200 or so 44's off a tee, then going exclusively to a gamer status, look for webs and go from there, but my 16 is a team bat with well over 2000 hits with all balls for bp and passed compression in the spring
Sweet!!! Thank you very much that's exactly what I'll do . I'm thinking the BP rockets will do the trick

Dan411

Star Player
That bat's pretty durable in my experience. I have had a few for team bats. Rockets would be a good choice. It's never really going to feel soft. It's a pretty stiff bat. Fu Dawg-like in my opinion.

goalie31

Addicted to Softballfans
I had one with 800+hits . I hit with majority gold dots and up here in cold ass canada it was still smashing the balls no signs off breaking some webbing but no damage . 52s and hot dots came off nice to. It was on the pass fail line to at 400 and 800 hit mark. Hit away mercys are tanks I wish they came I 28oz

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Hitting off a tee reduces impact velocity considerably. I would bet that you could get away with a harder ball no problem. I like to start gently. I get a bat, take some half swings, let my wife put 100 or so on it, self pitch 100 for the dog to chase while I hit with one hand. Hit some mushy broken cork center balls at D-bat. Then I'll start hitting live pitching at 80-90% for 90-100 pitches. Those bats always lest me forever and fell the same all the way around. I buy a used comp with a 100 swings and one side feels like it's gonna break in half on any swing and the other side will feel like a log, and the dang thang will start feeling fragile while the paint still looks mint.