Bubba Club

lukeamdman

You're moving the sweetspot about 3" toward the end of the bat. That basically makes it seem like you're swinging a longer bat.

This sounds intriguing since I tend to hit further down the barrel but I'm a bit skeptical.

Where folks are describing the sweet spot on this bat (on the "T" or between the "T" and "O") seems similar to my DC-41.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This sounds intriguing since I tend to hit further down the barrel but I'm a bit skeptical.

Where folks are describing the sweet spot on this bat (on the "T" or between the "T" and "O") seems similar to my DC-41.

The Bubba Club is NOTHING like the DC41. DC sweetspot is way further toward the handle than the Bubba Club. I mean, hell. The DC has a 14" barrel and the Bubba Club is 10".

Anyone who habitually hits balls on or near the handle of the bat should stay away from the Bubba Club.

lukeamdman

The Bubba Club is NOTHING like the DC41. DC sweetspot is way further toward the handle than the Bubba Club. I mean, hell. The DC has a 14" barrel and the Bubba Club is 10".

Anyone who habitually hits balls on or near the handle of the bat should stay away from the Bubba Club.

I understand what you're saying but there's conflicting theories for the SS on short barrel vs. long barrel.

Some say that instead of the SS moving further inward with a long barrel it's more that the SS is just larger and extends further inward.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand what you're saying but there's conflicting theories for the SS on short barrel vs. long barrel.

Some say that instead of the SS moving further inward with a long barrel it's more that the SS is just larger and extends further inward.
The hottest part of the sweet spot, all things being equal, is at the center of the sweet spot. If you assume both barrels are all ss, just for the sake of argument, the DC is 7 inches away from the end cap and the bubba club is 5. That makes it two inches closer to the end cap.

If you want to see if you can hack it pull out an old short barrel single wall and take some swings. You'll find out quickly if you're hitting the SS.

lukeamdman

The hottest part of the sweet spot, all things being equal, is at the center of the sweet spot. If you assume both barrels are all ss, just for the sake of argument, the DC is 7 inches away from the end cap and the bubba club is 5. That makes it two inches closer to the end cap.

If you want to see if you can hack it pull out an old short barrel single wall and take some swings. You'll find out quickly if you're hitting the SS.

That makes sense.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

People have been misusing the term "sweet spot" ever since doublewalls and composites made the effective hitting surface 6+ inches long. The sweet spot is the point where the most energy is transferred to the ball and the least is lost to vibration. Even if you get results from the whole barrel, there is one tiny spot in that area that is better. And it's just that; a spot.

Exactly. Even if you get pop from 10" of a DC's 14" barrel, there's one defined spot in the centre of that 10" that's better and that's the sweet spot.

And if you REALLY want to see if you're hitting well, try a wood bat with some hard ass balls. Miss the SS by an inch or two and you can end up with black fingernails and a pile of splintered kindling.

ShortYellowBus

I use this to teach my 10yr old daughter to find the perfect place to make contact. 34/28.

Unrelated to the conversation maybe, but perhaps a tool to help some people find consistent immediate feedback with their current swing.

87CDC777-02B1-4C4C-8CD9-9E0088404C77.jpeg

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ A lot of wood bat manufacturers produce short-barrel training bats. Same concept, only all one piece.

If you practice with a 5" wood barrel for a bit, the 10" barrel on the Bubba Club will feel like cheating.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I adjusted from the legit I have been swinging to the bubba

Yeah, I think a lot of people see the 10" barrel and get scared of the Bubba Club. I've swung it exactly twice and found the sweetspot both times. The Bubba is a bit more forgiving than you'd think. Its a good performer and I love the feel at contact.

This coming from a guy who's hit 12" barrel bats for a decade or more.

Wood bats are really the ultimate training tool for finding the barrel. There is zero forgiveness and you get poor results if you miss the sweetspot even an iota.

lukeamdman

Got a 28oz Bubba Club today.

Scale weight is about 28.5oz, and not as much endload as a DC-41. The edge of a table test shows it needs to extend almost exactly 1" further to tip than a DC-41. For reference, my 28oz SP16BHFXA and 30oz SP16SKA need to extend about 0.5" further to tip than a DC-41. Comparing it to a few Miken Maxloads (F30 and Rev-Ex) I'd say the EL is just a pinch more than a half ounce.

I'll take some swings with it tomorrow.

lukeamdman

Put about 40 cuts on it today with some evil rockets. Sweet spot is obviously smaller than the DC but I didn't have much trouble finding it since I tend to hit towards the cap anyway. Wasn't having the greatest BP day but the 3 I sent out really flew. Great sound.

Only complaint so far is the weak endload.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Put about 40 cuts on it today with some evil rockets. Sweet spot is obviously smaller than the DC but I didn't have much trouble finding it since I tend to hit towards the cap anyway. Wasn't having the greatest BP day but the 3 I sent out really flew. Great sound.

Only complaint so far is the weak endload.

For whatever reason Easton seems to have lost the ability to create bats with monster endloads. I miss the progressive endload bats. 28 oz with LEGIT 3 oz endload is very noticeable.

Z1k05

Star Player
For whatever reason Easton seems to have lost the ability to create bats with monster endloads. I miss the progressive endload bats. 28 oz with LEGIT 3 oz endload is very noticeable.

It’s because none of the bats would pass initial testing

Last edited:

lukeamdman

Makes sense. You put a lot of endload on a short barrel bat you're going to get a major rocket launcher with a small sweetspot.

A good endload, especially with a short barrel, is hard to find these days. 12" Mikens have a weak endload, and while the 14'-16' CL22s and 17' Newbreed were decent the 18' is that rotten midload.

I need to find a 28oz L1. My old 27oz had mega end load.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I need to find a 28oz L1. My old 27oz had mega end load.

I have a pair of 14L1's, a 26oz and a 28oz. They don't even feel like the same model, the 28 feels like a splitting maul next to the 26.

You may have an easier time finding a 2015 or 2016 Kirby. They feel/perform similarly and still have the heavy endload in bigger weights. I had a 30oz '16 Kirby for all of 3 weeks, it felt about 4-5oz heavier than my 28oz L1. The guy I sold it to loved it. He was used to swinging 32oz aluminums and 34oz wood bats though.

lukeamdman

I have a pair of 14L1's, a 26oz and a 28oz. They don't even feel like the same model, the 28 feels like a splitting maul next to the 26.

You may have an easier time finding a 2015 or 2016 Kirby. They feel/perform similarly and still have the heavy endload in bigger weights. I had a 30oz '16 Kirby for all of 3 weeks, it felt about 4-5oz heavier than my 28oz L1. The guy I sold it to loved it. He was used to swinging 32oz aluminums and 34oz wood bats though.

I have a 30oz 16' Kirby. Great endload.

I should have bought another in 28oz when they were everywhere and dirt cheap.

bubz24

Addicted to Softballfans
I have 300 swings on one and it's not really opening up, barrel still feels pretty stiff. I had it tested about a month ago (around 100 swings) and it was 285, had it tested again a week or so ago and it was 270 with 250 swings.

I'm not sold on it just yet since I find the sweet spot hard to find and I've been swinging 12" bats for the last 3-4 years so thought it would be an easy transition. Are you guys finding it opening up at all? Who has the most swings on one? Just curious since I'm going to continue to work on it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I had it tested about a month ago (around 100 swings) and it was 285, had it tested again a week or so ago and it was 270 with 250 swings.

So it's breaking in about 3X as fast as old Eastons. ;)

Stick with it, if you're missing the sweetspot slightly it'll take longer to break in. It's probably gonna be 50/50 the bat breaking in and you adjusting to the sweetspot location.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I have a 28 oz. '14 L1. It is very endloaded. I have a 28 and 30 oz. '15 Kirby as well. Massive endloads, especially the 30. If you want real endload on an Easton you have to jump up to 28 oz. Even in the progressive endload models the 27s were pretty wimpy.

I also agree the short barrel Mikens have crappy endloads. I don't like long barrel bats, but the only Miken I own is a DC41... for the sole reason that it has a huge endload. 28 oz DC is VERY legit endloaded.

lukeamdman

I put another 30 cuts on the bubba yesterday. I haven't noticed much of a break in yet but after my first BP session with it on Saturday it was webbed up quite a bit. From what I've seen/felt/heard I'm not concerned with durability so I'll keep chipping away at it.

The more I use it the more I like it but I still wish it had more EL.

lukeamdman

I have about 130 cuts on the bubba now. It's starting to open up a little.

I wonder how the EL on a 28oz Helmer X compares?

bubz24

Addicted to Softballfans
I put another 100 on mine this past weekend, no real change for the most part. I love BP so not complaining there, just looking for a bit better performance sooner compared to the earlier Easton bats.