Built My Own Pitching Screen ...

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Last winter I built my own pitching screen. I bought heavyweight netting and built the rest of it with materials and parts from Ace and Home Depot.

Set up it's about 3.5' wide and 6.5' tall with supporting legs to steady it ... but it folds down to 6" x 7" x 48" (see pics) for transport. You can see that the frame is PVC, but it's survived @ 50 BP sessions with only 1 corner elbow getting cracked. I have had to replace several of the straps that hold the net, but that's cheap and easy. Not one of our pitchers using it was hit in BP this year.

The only thing I didn't like was that I was carrying it with a strap and it's heavy (23 lbs). I had tried putting castors on it, but it fell over ... like trying to walk a cat on a leash. Now that I'm between spring and fall seasons, I had some time to think the wheel thing through. Today, I finished putting them on. They're hinged so they can swing out from underneath the screen when it's in use, but provide an easy roll over uneven turf when mobile.

I like carrying my bat bag, so putting wheels on the screen makes life easier now.

Shep

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I wouldn't trust that if I were pitching behind it.
I have no problem. I won't make you use it.

The netting is the heaviest available #60 ... much heavier than Jugs or Pitch-Safe use. The PVC is the 1" heavy-duty schedule 40 stuff. The only vulnerable parts are the connectors and elbows. The bottom 2' of each side is double-sleeved for support.

Last edited:

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
where did you get the net?
Joker -
I'm pretty sure I got it through BaseballTips.com. They sold it by the square foot. Actually, they sub it out ... I called the number on their site after using their calculator. I think it cost @$50 incl shipping for their heaviest netting ... so now I don't ever have to worry about replacing it. Everything else I can replace at the local hardware store.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Shep, we hit middle a lot. How do you think it woould hold up against hard middle shots? Ive never trusted PVC after the first one we built; we shattered two poles in one session. We made one out of conduit pipe and it withstood everything but was a PITA to break down. I wound up with the Pitchsafe and never looked back. The reason I am asking is I would like to make a 4x7 screen to offer more protection during usage.

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
Looks good. I made somewhat the same kind and i kept the net loose to absorb liners. So far so good.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Shep, we hit middle a lot. How do you think it woould hold up against hard middle shots? Ive never trusted PVC after the first one we built; we shattered two poles in one session. We made one out of conduit pipe and it withstood everything but was a PITA to break down. I wound up with the Pitchsafe and never looked back. The reason I am asking is I would like to make a 4x7 screen to offer more protection during usage.
Hard to say, Hacker. The Pitch-Safe is more durable, but for us big guys it's hard to hide behind. The guys hitting at this one are all seniors, but some can still go yard. What weight PVC did you use? Some of the stuff is really flimsy, and the bigger diameter stuff (1.5") is easier to break. I used the 1" schedule 40. When it's hit it "gives" with the blow, but no way it's more durable than the metal and fiberglass.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks good. I made somewhat the same kind and i kept the net loose to absorb liners. So far so good.

You have to have a GIVE factor for the net to work properly.

Hard to say, Hacker. The Pitch-Safe is more durable, but for us big guys it's hard to hide behind. The guys hitting at this one are all seniors, but some can still go yard. What weight PVC did you use? Some of the stuff is really flimsy, and the bigger diameter stuff (1.5") is easier to break. I used the 1" schedule 40. When it's hit it "gives" with the blow, but no way it's more durable than the metal and fiberglass.

Yeah I just want to make something a little bit bigger but on the same style concept.

Shep, I sent you a PM.....

Last edited:

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Interestingly, I talked the county into buying our 55+ pick-up program a Jugs Lite-Flite. But it's not mine and I play in 3 other leagues where it can be used.

I play mostly OF, sometimes SS and seldom pitch much BP ... but I was tired of having guys with no hitting disicipline rip our pitcher in BP. Plus, now I can practice hitting middle (OF) without too much worry.

landsharklager

GDC MULTI-PLATINUM MEMBER
I have no problem. I won't make you use it.

The netting is the heaviest available #60 ... much heavier than Jugs or Pitch-Safe use. The PVC is the 1" heavy-duty schedule 40 stuff. The only vulnerable parts are the connectors and elbows. The bottom 2' of each side is double-sleeved for support.

Since when was 1" Sch 40 PVC considered Heavy Duty?

Might want to keep 3 pieces of everything extra. That **** will snap quick with a softball. Just like a cheek bone. Infact, I think a Cheek bone may be harder.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Since when was 1" Sch 40 PVC considered Heavy Duty?

Might want to keep 3 pieces of everything extra. That **** will snap quick with a softball. Just like a cheek bone. Infact, I think a Cheek bone may be harder.
"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail to you."

Like I already said, it's made it through @ 50 BP sessions with only 1 cracked corner elbow and a few blown straps. Yeah, bone is harder but you can't replace that at Ace.

How's your screen working?

BigDog

RAGE and Softball meet!
Last winter I built my own pitching screen. I bought heavyweight netting and built the rest of it with materials and parts from Ace and Home Depot.

Set up it's about 3.5' wide and 6.5' tall with supporting legs to steady it ... but it folds down to 6" x 7" x 48" (see pics) for transport. You can see that the frame is PVC, but it's survived @ 50 BP sessions with only 1 corner elbow getting cracked. I have had to replace several of the straps that hold the net, but that's cheap and easy. Not one of our pitchers using it was hit in BP this year.

The only thing I didn't like was that I was carrying it with a strap and it's heavy (23 lbs). I had tried putting castors on it, but it fell over ... like trying to walk a cat on a leash. Now that I'm between spring and fall seasons, I had some time to think the wheel thing through. Today, I finished putting them on. They're hinged so they can swing out from underneath the screen when it's in use, but provide an easy roll over uneven turf when mobile.

I like carrying my bat bag, so putting wheels on the screen makes life easier now.

Shep

you are a fing artist, dad. love it.

mswiat

Addicted to Softballfans
We made a screen out of an old bench swing and fencing. Didn't need it to be portable, since we take bp in the yard. But, I should save this idea, I'd like a smaller net, that is portable. Winter project for the husband. ;)

Joker

Joker -
I'm pretty sure I got it through BaseballTips.com. They sold it by the square foot. Actually, they sub it out ... I called the number on their site after using their calculator. I think it cost @$50 incl shipping for their heaviest netting ... so now I don't ever have to worry about replacing it. Everything else I can replace at the local hardware store.

cool thanks