Check Swing hits

richard517

Addicted to Softballfans
GTG?

Played a game tonight with a guy who was doing a check swing dump into right field but next at bat goes yard. He argues its a place hit but clearly its not a full swing push that falls in shallow right field.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Called a "Judy" and it helps keep the defense on their heels. I see nothing the matter with it.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
GTG?

Played a game tonight with a guy who was doing a check swing dump into right field but next at bat goes yard. He argues its a place hit but clearly its not a full swing push that falls in shallow right field.
In the league I play in an intentional check swing hit would be ruled an out by the umpire. If it was a chop at the ball, it'd be GTG, but an actual half-swing would be NGTG. Of course, TBH the umpire only enforces this against players that are actually good enough to try it.

richard517

Addicted to Softballfans
Partially pissed because he was swinging a loaded bat doing this. I've seen players take power off their swings and stick a bat out and dump a hit, but this swing was just a check of the wrists and ball falls for a hit. Frustrating as a fielder to see.

B Ferris

Mr. Clean
Partially pissed because he was swinging a loaded bat doing this. I've seen players take power off their swings and stick a bat out and dump a hit, but this swing was just a check of the wrists and ball falls for a hit. Frustrating as a fielder to see.

This is a first..A guy mad at a slap hitter and the bat is loaded :confused: At least he wasn't hitting scuds at the pitcher...

richard517

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a first..A guy mad at a slap hitter and the bat is loaded :confused: At least he wasn't hitting scuds at the pitcher...

TRUE, but its something unfortunately I deal with playing in SOCAL. Guys bring their loaded sticks every week, i have to find out which are the loaded, play very deep on those batters, and try to keep them in for an out or to hopefully a double if they get it in front of me. Just brutal watching out right fielder tonight get a ball crushed over him, he backs up, gets the check hit, then another check hit, he moves up to try to at least have a somewhat play at it, and boom another monster home run over his head.

rookieslugger

Addicted to Softballfans
TRUE, but its something unfortunately I deal with playing in SOCAL. Guys bring their loaded sticks every week, i have to find out which are the loaded, play very deep on those batters, and try to keep them in for an out or to hopefully a double if they get it in front of me. Just brutal watching out right fielder tonight get a ball crushed over him, he backs up, gets the check hit, then another check hit, he moves up to try to at least have a somewhat play at it, and boom another monster home run over his head.

sounds like smart hitting, damn him

richard517

Addicted to Softballfans
and no i wasn't that guy at the game causing an uproar over something he thinks is against the rules, just wanted some feedback. Our pitcher asked the umpire if it was a rule that they have to swing through the zone to be able to put a ball in play, much the way someone cant stick the bat out for a BUNT hit(bunting isn't allowed in our league, not sure if it's allowed in any others). Sorry if this sounds absurd for asking.

rookieslugger

Addicted to Softballfans
i guess i dont see how u could put a ball into right field w/o putting a swing on it. the only good bunt is a swinging bunt :D:cool:

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
GTG IMO. If the ball makes it to the outfield it's a hit. The ball is being thrown underhand, it's not like he is only using the power from the pitch lol. The way it sounds, it's a legit swing without a full blown follow through.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i think it's crap they can call you out for chopping down and half swinging but dont' call you otu fo half swinging and hitting a ball in teh air....

jmo....i do them both and i do them both affectively.....i've been called out for "bunting" several times and w/ basically the same amount of swing, drop them over teh infield and have never been called out

ballguy_73

On the mound....

So why not have your 2B move a little into the grass when this guy hits, and try and tighten up the gap.

scuderia

Addicted to Softballfans
I think "dont hate the playa hate the game" applies. Personally I don't care for it...

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
As long as they are taking full swings while breaking their wrists, its definitely GTG. I've been known to do it here and there, especially when the outfielders are playing deep. Personally I'd rather smash a grounder through an IF hole, but whatever works for ya!

oppo

Coach
The batter is out when...

ASA 7-6
H. (Slow Pitch) When the batter bunts or chops the ball.

USSSA 7-2
C. He bunts or chops the ball deliberately downward (either fair or foul).

Neither one of these rules describes hitting a ball to the outfield. They describe bunting or chopping the ball to achieve the same effect as a bunt. If your team can't make a play on the ball, that is your problem. The judy is GTG.

Delbert

The Veteran
Ive already given permission to teammates and friends to punch me square in the face if I ever do one of those *****swings

EJbanger

Addicted to Softballfans
GTG?

A check swing hit is ridiculous...but it sounds as if it was more than a check swing if it went to right.

What gets me is when someone (left handed) slaps one to 3rd to get on,
PU55y hit with out a doubt!

hatemail

Starting Player
A check swing hit is ridiculous...but it sounds as if it was more than a check swing if it went to right.

Have your 3bagger make a play instead of playing shallow left ijs

mbone12

Addicted to Softballfans

I do this, but only because one of our coed leagues is ASA and men bat opposite handed. If they move the 3B in on me I put it over their head down the LF line. Call it what you will, but in four 24 game seasons plus around 8 league tourney games a year I've made 3 outs.

-TheHook-

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a difference between a check swing and a judy. You can hit a judy and still swing through the ball. There is nothing wrong with being able to place the ball and hit with power. I'll do it in league sometimes but I don't have the balls to try it in tourneys yet... you look like a fool when you **** it up. I'd rather just try to hit it through some one. ijs

CarlsbadDrew

Addicted to Softballfans
Try to see how far a ball goes without breaking your wrist (You must break the wrist for it to be a legal hit). The ball doesn't go far. This rule is to prevent bunting not judy shots.