co-ed

bigdog9

Addicted to Softballfans
just talked with a michigan coed player who said that they pitch two different balls during games...11 inch for women and 12 inch for men ..was unaware that was the norm...comment ?

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Some leagues out here in Northern California do this. The woman's 11" ball is usually a bit more lively (i.e. 44/375 or 47/375) while the men's 12" softball is generally a 52/300 (some leagues still use the 44/375)

Dogue

Evil Genius
It happens here but I'm seeing it less now. Personally I hate fielding the small ball because I keep forgetting about it and my brain can't figure out why my hand is over-gripping the ball. It's also a bit of a learning curve for the pitcher; adjusting to the different size and switching balls every batter.

bigdog9

Addicted to Softballfans
thanks for the info ...getting some new balls together for a co/ed team in Michigan and wanted to get it right...thanks again

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
normal everywhere i've played. when i play, i always warm up with the small ball. i find it much easier to adjust to the larger than the smaller and first throw is always wild with the small otherwise

LC77

Manager
Our leagues traditionally switch balls for each gender. Last year one league switched to all girl ball, and guys have to swing a wood bat. Not one home run since.

Dogue

Evil Genius
As hard as I can hit it is probably 20 feet from the fence. :(
You must cancel your Softballfans Forum membership immediately. You've been here long enough to know that everyone on here hits 450'+ bombs using wiffleball bats and mushy Walmart balls.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
thanks for the info ...getting some new balls together for a co/ed team in Michigan and wanted to get it right...thanks again

Depends on if you're looking for a tournament or in league. I know most of the leagues around GR use a 12" ball only. Check with your LD or TD to make sure you don't buy 11" ball for nothing.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
You must cancel your Softballfans Forum membership immediately. You've been here long enough to know that everyone on here hits 450'+ bombs using wiffleball bats and mushy Walmart balls.

Correction, we all go 500 + at will

Dan411

Star Player
Normal where I play coed - the girls get an 11" hard ball (44/375) and we swing 52s.
Same thing here in Missouri. Sometimes pitchers will have some trouble making the transition to a smaller ball. I actually like throwing the smaller ball from the outfield. There has been talk of the smaller ball changing to 52/300 next season. Anybody else hear that too?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
We all hit 12" .52's, guys and girls. And there are no restrictions on where fielders can position themselves, ie. no coed line in the outfield. The better female batters are lucky to hit .300.

There has been talk of the smaller ball changing to 52/300 next season. Anybody else hear that too?

That's been talked about since the .52 was first released, but when trialed in fastpitch games, they made the game ridiculous. Since the .52 is bouncier and you're allowed to chop/swing down in fastpitch, girls were pounding the ball at the ground and bouncing it over the infielders' heads. That's why ASA fastpitch stuck with .44/375 and 2004 stamp bats.

lx_2nv

Coach
Same thing here in Missouri. Sometimes pitchers will have some trouble making the transition to a smaller ball. I actually like throwing the smaller ball from the outfield. There has been talk of the smaller ball changing to 52/300 next season. Anybody else hear that too?

I actually have a harder time pitching to girls because of the smaller ball...and I have had more wild throws from 3rd to 1st lol.

jeffro1265

We use the small one for girls here in ohio. I once threw it over the backstop from centerfield trying to make a play at the plate. . So embarrassing.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
There has been talk of the smaller ball changing to 52/300 next season. Anybody else hear that too?

Yes, I heard this too. Think it was in the umpire section, may have been NCASAump. Don't specifically remember from though

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I play a lot of 7-3 coed, we have a 200 foot rule for girls. Hard to enforce, but it keeps honest folks honest. When I play on teams with out that rule I'm always surprised by the balls that I think would drop in front, that wind up getting caught. It really levels the playing field. When you can squeeze down on them, the gaps are non existent, I can see how it would be very discouraging/frustrating.

PCMAY

Starting Player
I started playing co-ed in Dallas a couple of years ago and as a pitcher, it took a while to get used to pitching the 11" ball. Even now, I do all my warm-up pitches with the small ball.

hitsone

As an umpire I have seen many different leagues trying many different ways to bring some equality to the ladies in co-ed.
I've seen ladies bunting, Lady encroachment lines up to 200' Males having single walls, Ladies swinging senior bats, double walks to women, extra foul balls, yes, different size balls, even no outfield throws to 1st on a female batter.
I found the 2 different size balls to be the easiest to ump and the best way for some ladies to show some power.
Always fun to hear people yelling "chick burn" when someone gets domed by a lady

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
Around me leagues are all big ball and tourneys are usually big ball - small ball with the small ball be a 44/375.

msinn

Addicted to Softballfans
Common in Tenn, MA, and CA.

Its in an ancient thread, but IIRC the issue was that there were no 11" .52/275 for a while because they kept failing spec possibly too high variance in compression?