Combat is going bye bye

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
This is exactly what was expected to happen when Performance Sports Group was put together and acquired Eastons Diamond Sports . At one time , in this country, it was illegal to build monopolies. Its now to the point where it seems now to be encouraged. Small companies can not make it past the mid size point, thus allowing the big conglomerate corporations to control at least 1/3 of almost any given market. I dont like government controls but it seems we are back to pre Roosevelt (Theodore that is) views of how to regulate free trade. I may be wrong , but this seems to stifle economic growth...... And when big retailers fold, it hurts everyone. So why all the consolidation? Are we gonna wake up one day and see " Out Of Business" signs everywhere?
I did notice the Maxum line was being continued but, when you look at the web site they do not even recognize that there is a softball model. I dont believe that PSG gives a rats ass about slowpitch softball.........

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
I am saddened to hear this, as well. Like Tom and Will (wdwlodge), I entered the Combat family when I swung an Antivirus for the first time. I fell in love and never looked back. From that time on (2008, I believe), I never swung anything but a COMbat. The PM Virus was the first bat I ever hit an over-the-fence HR with. My only other OTF HR came with that beautiful orange DBA. Even though I'm out of softball now, it really sucks to hear this. I am flooded with memories of this Combat forum, all the guys who have come and gone over the years, and the good times that were had here. Combat may be absorbed into Easton, but I will ALWAYS be a Combatant. If I'm ever able to pick up the game again, you can bet I will be swinging the 8 Combats that are currently sitting in the rafters of my shed at this moment.

I just picked up 2 AV's off the bay for $52 total...they are really beat but great for BP. I still have the 1st one I bought off this site...27 bal for $100 off Yatzeelogoz (I think that is how he spells it)...I save it as my slumpbuster...appx 8K swings on it now. Sad to see the brand dwindle down to a line or two but I have enough COMbats to last me 10+ years. Wouls like to pick up a few more...here for the firesale

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Combat made some really good slow pitch bats the last couple years. They really got the new stamp stuff quick.

I'd get those returns in ASAP. You have to realize that everyone at Combat got canned (very sad indeed). Combat was basically "given" to Easton and they are at a point right now where they don't know what to do with it. Sounds like they are going to slim it down big time or just do away with it.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I still have an OG B1 in the closet. Well two halves of a an OG B1. I owned and loved pretty much everything they did up to the Censored. Even though my brother still has my Censored. I bought the sparkly B1 right out of Macenko's Combat truck. Steele's --> Mizuno --> -->Combat --> uh, Mizuno again --> any and everything. Not a fan of the new stuff with the discs, but this is still disheartening.

I disagree with Combat having too many models. Demarini, Miken, Worth, etc., all have a bevy of models.

WillW3

Starting Player
I got my first Combat this year after reading some mixed things about them. I figured for $100, I couldn't go wrong. Man, am I sad about the company going under. I am such a fan of the Combat feel, sound, and performance. I'm enjoying mine a lot right now.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have honestly loved every Combat I swung...
I have since I started breaking them in. So many people said they're game ready out of the wrapper, they bust early, etc. that I assumed that's as good as they got. They may not take as long to break in as some brands, but they're nowhere near hot out of the wrapper, and need several swings to really get going.

Maybe breaking mine in the right way is why mine have lasted longer than most people's.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i didn't particularly care for how my og avarice swung but it was hard to argue with the results. the combat sound is the real loss in all of this. just can't get it anywhere else

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got my return. I hope they keep the Maxum SP line and not just the baseball bats.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't hit it, but I'm more excited about this bat than I have been in awhile. It feels nice. Got the endloaded one.

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
So as COMbat closes it's doors I reflect on what the Company / Brand has meant to me... It was not just a Bat company...It was a way of life..."For Players By Players" . I will never swing another Bat! How I got introduced to COMbat is interesting...I had not played in a long while and was getting back into the game. I asked a friend what bat I should buy and he said the 2 hottest bats were the Miken Freak and the COMbat Anti Virus. I looked at them both and liked the colors of the Anti Virus so I bought one. I really liked it and wanted to get a few more when I found out they stopped making it. A friend told me about a web site called Softballfans.com where I could get used bats. I got a little crazy and started stocking up on the AV's. Once I acquired about 15 Hebrew Hacker called me TOM AV. The name stuck and I became that guy. I was not a very good hitter (mostly singles) when I saw an ad for a "Spring Training with the Pro's" in Winston-Salem NC where I could get instruction etc. I signed up and my life has never been the same...The 1st person I met was Bobby Nifong...He was larger than life (and still is) but he introduced me to the COMbat Family. I then met Neil Teague , Christian Dowling , Rusty Bumgardner , Johnny McCraw , Frank Henry , Scott Brown, Brett Foisy and many others. On my 1st night the Pro's invited all of the amateurs to the bar for beers etc. I spoke to several of the 100 amateurs to see who was going to hang with the pro's. No one would go as they felt they were not good enough to hang with softball royalty. If you know me I am not shy and will take chances even if it means embarrassing myself. I went alone and walked into the bar where these legends were hanging out. Realizing there was no other amateurs there I did the only thing I knew how to do...I bought a round of drinks...:) Then I hung out with the boys listening to their stories and wanting to get better. I spent the next 3 days learning how to hit from the best players in the world. Even though I was not good they took the time to work with me and change my life forever. I am pushing 50 now and still play 4 nights a week. I am not great but will still bat .700 with occasional pop. The above mentioned people that I have met and call my friends have shaped my life in a way that they can not fathom. Most people stop playing at my age and I have committed to 3 leagues in the spring and will try out the 50+ league which I expect I will dominate in. None of this would have been possible if I chose that Miken Freak over that nice looking COMbat AV so I made the right choice.7 years ago I was Thomas Henninger playing Softball for the 1st time in 16 years...I became TOM AV and am grateful for anyone that had anything to do with COMbat. I never plan on retiring from Softball and will play until I can't walk or I am dead. I will ALWAYS swing COMbat!!!

WillW3

Starting Player
Pretty awesome story there. That says a lot about the type of people Combat liked to have represent the brand.