Considering a Mizuno Nighthawk USSSA

Dan411

Star Player
What do you think, better than your Dc41?
I can't answer that honestly until the Nighthawk gets more hits on it. My DC has, like, a lot. I will tell you this, I would game either one of them with confidence, and I like the feel of the Nighthawk better. To me, the barrel feel is something in-between a Combat and a Miken.

Jonesie

I can't answer that honestly until the Nighthawk gets more hits on it. My DC has, like, a lot. I will tell you this, I would game either one of them with confidence, and I like the feel of the Nighthawk better. To me, the barrel feel is something in-between a Combat and a Miken.
I can't wait to get my hands on one of this. I hope performance doesn't dies out as I keep hitting with it.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I can tell you that has not been an issue with either of mine, and they are well beaten into (1300+ & 800+ now) and while they got a little softer and poppier around the 100-200 hit mark and really shifted into a GREAT gear, they've not diminished any since then. Sort've remained the same and pop the same. Always reliable and hot.

I've had Legits and a Triad that just sorta went dead after 500-600 or so hits. Got too soft in the barrel and just seemed to have no pop anymore. Combats too with less hits on them. Have had friends with DC's with the same complaint, they get too soft too quick and seem to lose their pop.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of this. I hope performance doesn't dies out as I keep hitting with it.

single wally

Professional Amateur
^^^^Agreed, seems to be a pretty common thing with new stamp bats, which I suppose is the newer technology at work. Old stamp bats would continue to get hotter until they finally sharktoothed, whereas many newer stamps seem to max out around 200-300 swings and basically plateau, or in some cases start over-flexing and get worse. At least that seems to be the case with Mikens/Worths and others that don't take much to get going.

Dan411

Star Player
I can tell you that has not been an issue with either of mine, and they are well beaten into (1300+ & 800+ now) and while they got a little softer and poppier around the 100-200 hit mark and really shifted into a GREAT gear, they've not diminished any since then. Sort've remained the same and pop the same. Always reliable and hot.

I've had Legits and a Triad that just sorta went dead after 500-600 or so hits. Got too soft in the barrel and just seemed to have no pop anymore. Combats too with less hits on them. Have had friends with DC's with the same complaint, they get too soft too quick and seem to lose their pop.

^^^^Agreed, seems to be a pretty common thing with new stamp bats, which I suppose is the newer technology at work. Old stamp bats would continue to get hotter until they finally sharktoothed, whereas many newer stamps seem to max out around 200-300 swings and basically plateau, or in some cases start over-flexing and get worse. At least that seems to be the case with Mikens/Worths and others that don't take much to get going.

Lots of good points here. I hit my DC41 (red knob) back-to-back with my new Psycho two-piece a few weeks ago during BP. Both 28's if anyone cares. While the DC still performed well, it felt pretty soft and just didn't give me the feel and feedback I enjoyed with the Psycho. With the newer bats peeking and descending after several hundred hits, I probably won't BP that Psycho very often. It's got around 250 now, and feels great. The Nighthawk has remained consistent in feel pretty much after the first 100.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Totally agree.

Seeing less barrels crack, but more bats seemingly going dead or telescoping.

I guess to manufacturers it means more sales and less returns if the barrels are no longer prone to full on breakage?

I've gone away from swinging Miken/Worth for feel reasons and because mine would get over 400-500 hits too easily and then just seem so soft and dead. Not the case with my Hawk at all. After about 100 they shift a gear and just stay there.

Also been swinging a Easton Flex a lot which is nothing shy of awesome in the same sense.

Rallycap

Star Player
What is the price you'll be looking for it to get down to? I'm curious as to how low these will get.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Well up here finding them new at retail is getting tough. They sold well at full pop and shelves are pretty empty this time of year. I don't expect much price drop as stock is scarce.

More or less waiting for '17 model to drop at this stage vs waiting on price drops. I was told there's surprises from Mizuno in '17. Hoping this bat in black with a big EL is coming personally.

Last edited:

mod463

The Rookie
I haven't heard of any reliability issues with USSSA models, so the return issue doesn't really come into my thought or made me consider the pricing out of line.

I really like the balanced nighthawk I have been swinging at 26oz. I have another in 27oz as potential backup but won't likely need it. I would like to try to Robo Load. I haven't seen other Nighthawks used in my leagues, but they are probably there (or should be!).

I would buy another, but the one I am using isn't likely to fail/break. I would consider a new version, for sure. I think 2017 Mizuno offers could be interesting, but hadn't heard rumors. Thanks Shoe!

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
If history holds true, Mizuno is slow to drop bat prices. If you want to try one cheap, best bet is to find an used one.

???

Historically Mizuno and Combat have been extremely undervalued. Now we've got Easton dropping everything to about 3 cents even before the new lines launch.

If the 'Hawks hold value it'll be the first time in awhile.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Even in the Blackout days though, the prices were lower due to lack of warranty but retailers were VERY SLOW to drop the price if ever. It wasn't until 2 years later we really saw liquidation on them and that's when I got them. They were very good bats for the time with enough work in them.

Most of them ran out of the little stock they kept before this ever happened....

And now the Hawk, at least up here, has a following and somewhat shortened supply. Don't see too many stocked and all of it mostly still moving at it's full price or close to it.

???

Historically Mizuno and Combat have been extremely undervalued. Now we've got Easton dropping everything to about 3 cents even before the new lines launch.

If the 'Hawks hold value it'll be the first time in awhile.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
The Blackouts at my local PIA are selling for more than I bought them new. The Blackouts did hold their prices for longer than the Craze, but there were multiple retailers dropped prices considerably rather early. The balanced ASA held a decent price for longer.

But Blackouts and 'Hawks do not change the fact that historically Mizuno has been an extremely undervalued company. Not fair, true, but I've had most of the Mizunos since the OG Techfire, and my wallet has always been happy.

CircleL

Starting Player
I hope the 17 hawk looks better.
I do love my 16 but it is really pretty ugly as far as bats go. I would really like to see some cool graphics, it is called a nighthawk there are definitely cool graphic options with a name like that!

TJsandler

Addicted to Softballfans
I decided to pick up a 27oz bal. Glad I did. the bat was hot from the first hit. Was hitting 44/375 since I play ISA where I live.
the bat was hotter then my 300 hit Red 4TF. Def going to be my gamer. Might have to pick up an EL version soon.

SilentBob

^^^^ I also picked up a balanced 27 and got it yesterday and used it straight out of the wrapper. First at bat I lined one to short for an out but it felt really good. Had a lot of pop for a new bat. Another guy on the team hit two homeruns with it. It's probably only got maybe 10 swings on it. It's my gamer for basehits and I'll use my red knob dc41 for power. The only thing I can say bad is the grip got all torn up somehow. Could've been stepped on accidentally that I didn't see

Jonesie

I decided to pick up a 27oz bal. Glad I did. the bat was hot from the first hit. Was hitting 44/375 since I play ISA where I live.
the bat was hotter then my 300 hit Red 4TF. Def going to be my gamer. Might have to pick up an EL version soon.
Are you serious? Wow, that is surprising.

TJsandler

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you serious? Wow, that is surprising.

I didnt think it was possible. But yes it hits better then my Red 4tf. The nighthawk to me feels more like my Bal og Z2000 I had.
Even my teammates loved it more then the Highlighter, 13 CL22 bats we got. Im just hoping the durability isnt an issue though. Still keeping the 4TF just in case.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Not super surprising.

I had a similar revelation in the spring and sold off my Miken/Worth stash of Legits and Freak 12.

The Hawk was diiiiirty out of wrapper and has not really changed since. They do stay very consistent and durable through the life of the bat.

A friend bought my 28 with over 1500 swing and just continues to game it and BP it all the time.

My 27 with 800+ is nice and not getting too soft in the barrel like a Miken or Worth would have by now.

Because the balance NH hits better than 4tf in his perspective.

Robo_16

Addicted to Softballfans
The 2017 lineup will have a few small changes. We will keep the same barrel, so the performance should be the same or better. We made the handle a bit thinner and in turn it made the swing weight of the end loaded model go up. Hope everyone likes the idea. I've swung the prototypes and should have a first run in about a month. The prototypes felt great. The ASA felt considerably better and hotter than last year. They should be available in Feb. for purchase.