Core is tops

Spackler

...got that goin for me
What think you SBF muscle heads?

Core is the King of muscle groups for hard hitting!

Legs take a back seat to Core.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Gluteus maximus, medius and minimus. Quadratus femoris and iliopsoas. Not to mention building flexible hip flexors and hamstrings.

Anyone centered on results will focus on this.

AzAthlete008

Addicted to Softballfans
False, If you have no foundation (legs), it doesn't matter how strong your core is. Power is derived from the legs and glutes, transferred to the core then to the shoulders etc, if your swing technique is on point, which is another topic on its own.

JBT2020

The Veteran
Its all about the 12 ounce curls that add to my beer gut, that's where I get all my power, get that gut moving!!!

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Skiing is the only leg workout I will do, and I think I over-trained yesterday.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
We see dudes all the time that use very little leg power that crush. You'll see small load and weak stride but smashes. Even little old me once blew out my right calf, hit right, in a game and could barley walk but I was forced to bat or auto out...so I get up there with no legs and just fire core and somehow put it out....douchey blue made me hobble round bases haha. Sure legs/glutes next important....

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
We see dudes all the time that use very little leg power that crush. You'll see small load and weak stride but smashes. Even little old me once blew out my right calf, hit right, in a game and could barley walk but I was forced to bat or auto out...so I get up there with no legs and just fire core and somehow put it out....douchey blue made me hobble round bases haha. Sure legs/glutes next important....

So you're saying your ability to hit with a sore calf is proof that the "core" is more important than the hamstrings/glutes?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.

Other than the obliques none of the other muscles that people traditionally call the "core" are significantly involved.

Everyone knows where the obliques, glutes, and hamstrings are. Here's the other one's mentioned for reference.

755497878.jpg

blog-vastus-med.jpg

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
It would seem to me that the abstract indicates it's a chain of muscles and that it is not just about this muscle or that muscle...

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
It would seem to me that the abstract indicates it's a chain of muscles and that it is not just about this muscle or that muscle...

Yes. Glutes/hamstrings get the swing going by opening the hips. Then the obliques and erector spinae help transfer that power to the arms. Obviously train everything, but it doesn't hurt to point out that a lot of training programs don't hit these muscles adequately.

If a person wants to use a bodybuilding style program and make it better suited for softball they could add.

1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Weighted hip thrusts/glute bridges
4. Anti rotation exercises
5. Med ball slams

Spackler

...got that goin for me
So you're saying your ability to hit with a sore calf is proof that the "core" is more important than the hamstrings/glutes?

Ha that was a loose example hitting off 1 leg :rolleyes:....but I see so many guys that barely use legs with a very weak stride yet they can spit it out there...But you cant do that without a strong core. Sure if those guys knew how to use their legs like Hall or Helmer they would hit further.

Next BP try hitting by disengaging legs then core and you can prob hit ok without legs but you got nothin without core....Or another way to look at it - you could have best legs/glutes power and technique but its nothin if weak core cant transfer all of that energy up top...so core>legs...maybe best part of squats/deads are effect on lower back then legs for swing.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Ha that was a loose example hitting off 1 leg :rolleyes:....but I see so many guys that barely use legs with a very weak stride yet they can spit it out there...But you cant do that without a strong core. Sure if those guys knew how to use their legs like Hall or Helmer they would hit further.

Next BP try hitting by disengaging legs then core and you can prob hit ok without legs but you got nothin without core....Or another way to look at it - you could have best legs/glutes power and technique but its nothin if weak core cant transfer all of that energy up top...so core>legs...maybe best part of squats/deads are effect on lower back then legs for swing.

If you want to try hitting with only core and upper body involved you should try hitting while sitting in a chair. I doubt you were hitting with one leg. Your hips were more involved than you realize if you were hitting well. If your hips are involved that means your glutes and hamstrings were as well.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Why even ask if all you do is comment on how the core is the most important? Seems like your mind is already made up, no?

TheFreakshow

Manager
Hip flexors for me. Ever since I started adding zercher squats to my routine I've been a lot quicker to the ball in the box and the field. Even makes getting around the bases with the old lady more fun!