Core is tops

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
Working out specifically for softball amuses me.

I think you have people doing the "Bro Science" workouts and realize they are well rounded workouts as they tend to lean towards glamour muscles. So working out for softball for most people is just adding some lifts that make their workout more well rounded like they should be doing.

evergain26

Addicted to Softballfans
I will share a few things from my recent personal experience here.

I had a surgery January 28th of this year on my left hip joint. I had microfracture with labral repair and a femoroplasty, acetabuloplasty and a iliopsoas release. During rehab I was forced to work on strengthening and stretching my hip flexors, glutial muscles and all of the muscles of my upper legs. During this rehab process stabilization and muscle regeneration where extremely important. Core and hips were affected either because they were the target or a secondary target. The difference is clear. Simply stretching and strengthening of these muscles makes all the difference in a sport like softball. If you are just in beach muscle building mode you will miss your true potential of hitting with speed and power because your body is not at maximum potential. Find a rehab program on-line and add the bands or training they use from weeks 8 on. If you can't do the exercises before that without shaking like a heroin feind you are not as strong as you think......Good luck!!!

evergain26

Addicted to Softballfans
Simply stretching is not the answer. And why do a rehab program if you don't need rehab?

I apologize for not being clear in my statements. What I hoped you would gather is that it is important to stretch and strengthen the muscles I spoke of. To clarify, I am not saying to do a rehab program to accomplish your hitting goals. What I am saying is if you can't do those exercises used for that period of a rehab program, you are deficient in the areas mentioned. This would imply that an individual has weaknesses that could be worked on. One certainly can use exercises during the final stages of a rehab program to strengthen the muscles used during the range of motion of ones swing or even throwing motion. If you disagree you can certainly ask the strength and conditioning coach of any legitimate sports organization.

And yes, stretching (exercises used to extend range of motion) are absolutely important for maximizing the effectiveness of your swing!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My new house has an unfinished portion in the basement with concrete walls so I'm doing med balls slams regularly now. I'll report back with results. :D

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I apologize for not being clear in my statements. What I hoped you would gather is that it is important to stretch and strengthen the muscles I spoke of. To clarify, I am not saying to do a rehab program to accomplish your hitting goals. What I am saying is if you can't do those exercises used for that period of a rehab program, you are deficient in the areas mentioned. This would imply that an individual has weaknesses that could be worked on. One certainly can use exercises during the final stages of a rehab program to strengthen the muscles used during the range of motion of ones swing or even throwing motion. If you disagree you can certainly ask the strength and conditioning coach of any legitimate sports organization.

And yes, stretching (exercises used to extend range of motion) are absolutely important for maximizing the effectiveness of your swing!

I'm going assume you have asked strength and conditioning coaches about stretching if you are going to make this statement or maybe you are a certified strength coach yourself. You generalize stretching saying it is for everyone which is not correct. If a person has excessive congenital laxity, they should not stretch... but work on stabilization instead.

Yes, I have talked with a fairly well known strength and conditioning coach and interned with him at his facility while completing my degree. Mainly worked with baseball players of all levels and none of them did "rehab" exercises during their time in the gym. They all did strengthening and stabilization exercises and many never "stretched" in the context you are talking about.

evergain26

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going assume you have asked strength and conditioning coaches about stretching if you are going to make this statement or maybe you are a certified strength coach yourself. You generalize stretching saying it is for everyone which is not correct. If a person has excessive congenital laxity, they should not stretch... but work on stabilization instead.

Yes, I have talked with a fairly well known strength and conditioning coach and interned with him at his facility while completing my degree. Mainly worked with baseball players of all levels and none of them did "rehab" exercises during their time in the gym. They all did strengthening and stabilization exercises and many never "stretched" in the context you are talking about.

You assume correct. On an open forum like this I believe it best to generalize. You took it a step further when speaking to individuals with ligamentous laxity! I will assume that those individuals know who they are and take the proper precautions necessary to stay healthy in terms of sports. I will again try to be clearer, just for your sake and others who may have taken my comments out of context. Many exercises, such as the throwers 10(for example), are used for rehab as well as for those healthy! There are also many core exercises used in both recovery and basic strengthening programs that are universal. For the sake of this thread I would say it best to continue this conversation as a PM because I value your obvious knowledge and appreciate you allowing me to explain myself more clearly. My goal was to help if possible and not confuse.

Good Day!

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I might have gone into congenital laxity but its important that people know if they are lax or not, which many do not know. Just cause they have never had anyone do a quick Beighton test with them.

I agree throwers 10 can be used for both but saying for people to do rehab exercises could have just been worded wrong or taken wrong. Either way, things can always be discussed as adults on here and figured out, without the bs like in some threads.

PM me if you'd like to chat more........

Last edited:

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I will share a few things from my recent personal experience here.

I had a surgery January 28th of this year on my left hip joint. I had microfracture with labral repair and a femoroplasty, acetabuloplasty and a iliopsoas release. During rehab I was forced to work on strengthening and stretching my hip flexors, glutial muscles and all of the muscles of my upper legs. During this rehab process stabilization and muscle regeneration where extremely important. Core and hips were affected either because they were the target or a secondary target. The difference is clear. Simply stretching and strengthening of these muscles makes all the difference in a sport like softball. If you are just in beach muscle building mode you will miss your true potential of hitting with speed and power because your body is not at maximum potential. Find a rehab program on-line and add the bands or training they use from weeks 8 on. If you can't do the exercises before that without shaking like a heroin feind you are not as strong as you think......Good luck!!!

Speak in lamemans terms....have no idea what "from weeks 8 on" means. I read workout upper legs, hips, booty, core....no one would argue.

Butt thread discussion is I have noticed core is king...if you have a killer explosive core your gonna rotate awesome and crush even if you don't use legs much but if you got strong ass legs and jello for core the energy wont transfer up the body