Crash course for a vet who feels like a noob

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Hey fellers been a member a long time but haven't posted in a while. Stopped playing competitively in 08. Played a little rec in 09, but nothing since.

Anyway a guy asked me to play on two of his sponsored league teams so...what bat should I get? Its a USSSA league and back in the day I had the stupid rules and stuff down pat but again its been three years and I literally haven't even thought of softball in that time, let alone checked on the (I'm sure) ever-changing rules and requirements.

Did a quick bat recon at the local PIAS and there is a Team Resmondo Titan from 2010(?)--its orange, predominantly--for $209 NIW. Good deal? Good bat? What's this "2013" stamp stuff I've heard about?

Anyway any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

BBBD

MarcTheArc

<font color="#000080">Arc Angels Softball</font>
Hey fellers been a member a long time but haven't posted in a while. Stopped playing competitively in 08. Played a little rec in 09, but nothing since.

Anyway a guy asked me to play on two of his sponsored league teams so...what bat should I get? Its a USSSA league and back in the day I had the stupid rules and stuff down pat but again its been three years and I literally haven't even thought of softball in that time, let alone checked on the (I'm sure) ever-changing rules and requirements.

Did a quick bat recon at the local PIAS and there is a Team Resmondo Titan from 2010(?)--its orange, predominantly--for $209 NIW. Good deal? Good bat? What's this "2013" stamp stuff I've heard about?

In the 2013 season any bat that doesn't have the new Utrip "fingerprint" icon will not be allowed. As far as the Titan....I would look around here on the board and find a broken in Utrip bat. Don't pay too much, it's only good for this season. What brand do you prefer/swing back when you played? That would help getting opinions on what to get.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Marc,

The last bat I swung was an OG Mayhem120, the light blue one if I remember correctly. I was in the air force and got stationed at Langley and played with the Langley team for a few tourneys in 2008.

At the time I bought a USSSA Frenzy and Titan and broke them in BP. The Frenzy lasted literally 100 swings and the Titan maybe 300.

I prefer one-piece bats--tried the Juggy back in the day and did not like the feel of it. Usually I stuck with Worth but since I played a lot of ASA I did swing an Extended a lot. Not THAT picky--whatever feels good I go with.

Thanks for the advice.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'd be hard pressed to beat the Titan Unleashed Coach has here for $129.99.

The bat you're talking about is probably the least popular Resmondo, and is 3 model years old. That is not a good price for one. I paid about $100 for one used over a year ago.

UTrip's new stamp for next year is on a few of the new bats. If you think you might keep playing there are some good options coming up. I'd personally get the new Mizuno Blackout when it comes out, but depending on when your league starts it may not be out in time. Coach has all the new Mikens here, and if you call and tell them you know me he might hook you up. :D

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Jbo you still haunting these boards bro? How ya been?

So what's the deal on the Titan Unleashed? Why so cheap?

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
Jbo you still haunting these boards bro? How ya been?

So what's the deal on the Titan Unleashed? Why so cheap?

All the old stamped bats are going down in price because they will be illegal beginning in 2013. With that said, most companies are still working out the kinks with the new bats. You are better off going with an older bat, like the titan unleashed, because the prices are good and it will give the companies more time to figure things out before you have to drop 2 bills on a new bat with possible durability issues.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN

BBBD

Wow a blast from the past. How the hell you been Bob? How's the family doing?

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Wow a blast from the past. How the hell you been Bob? How's the family doing?

Hey Brian good to hear from you. How are things with you?

Been doing well. Retired in July 09---then we had a baby girl in Nov 09. Been doing the Mr Mom thang ever since. Wife is still AD and we're still in Virginia.

Other two goobs are doing great too. Played with the Langley guys when I got here in 08 a bit. Then in 09 I hooked up with a rec league team---lasted one season. This guy spotted me at the YMCA wearing an old Camp Darby tourney t-shirt and asked if I was interested in playing, so I figured what the heck, why not?

Take care and come back safely!

danhawks

Addicted to Softballfans
buy a cheap utrip bat with a return and receipt. If it lasts you for the season it will still be returnable next year and you should be able to get a bat with the 2013 stamp. If you break 'em fast like it seems, hold onto it and the receipt and send it back as late as possible so the bat companies don't make you take a utrip bat you can only use for two months!

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA

BBBD

How you been bro. You still in?

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
How you been bro. You still in?

Been good thanks, how about you?

I retired July 1, 2009---don't miss it one bit. Been having too much fun with me new little girl to miss it. I was actually looking in to umpiring this year---not too much cuz if I make too much $ we'll bump up a tax bracket and I don't want any part of that. Anyway this guy sees me at the gym wearing an old tourney shirt and now I'm on two sponsored league teams. Kinda went from not thinking about playing to really looking forward to it in a day or so. Just hope the old knees hold out!

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Doubt this would be a good idea if he breaks bats as often as he says.

No "ifs" about it brother---before I left Italy I found out my new team played USSSA, so I bought a Frenzy and a Titan (this was back in 08). My buddy and I would hit about 30 or so balls a day with each to break them in, and the Frenzy lasted until the 2nd day (4th go-round). Even on the hit that broke it it was a HR. Was a hot bat, but durability was worse than poor. I swung doctored bats in the past that lasted longer.

The Titan lasted a little while longer but not too much. After that I got an OG Booger and Mayhem 120.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
Been good thanks, how about you?

I retired July 1, 2009---don't miss it one bit. Been having too much fun with me new little girl to miss it. I was actually looking in to umpiring this year---not too much cuz if I make too much $ we'll bump up a tax bracket and I don't want any part of that. Anyway this guy sees me at the gym wearing an old tourney shirt and now I'm on two sponsored league teams. Kinda went from not thinking about playing to really looking forward to it in a day or so. Just hope the old knees hold out!

Been good. I retired in 2007 and really only miss being around soldiers and playing military ball, but the rest not a bit. Glad to hear about your new little one. I've had 3 more kids since I last seen you and glad I don't have to be away from them. You still playing with langley? I know a few dudes that I think still play with them. I don't play nearly as much as I use to play. Went from playing 3 nights a week and 2-3 tourneys a month to Sunday league and 2-3 tourneys a year, which I have no problem with my fun playing with the kids.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
Been good. I retired in 2007 and really only miss being around soldiers and playing military ball, but the rest not a bit. Glad to hear about your new little one. I've had 3 more kids since I last seen you and glad I don't have to be away from them. You still playing with langley? I know a few dudes that I think still play with them. I don't play nearly as much as I use to play. Went from playing 3 nights a week and 2-3 tourneys a month to Sunday league and 2-3 tourneys a year, which I have no problem with my fun playing with the kids.

Terry congrats on retirement and the brood!

In early 09 Otis called and asked me if I wanted to coach the Langley team but since I was retiring later that year I passed. He PCS'd but I forget where. A guy I knew from playing against in Europe coached them last year but from what I heard he had such a hard time getting guys out to practice that he finally disbanded the team.

I played with a rec team for spring season in 09 but only lasted one season. The drinking and toking in between innings and stuff and the overall just stupid play on the field (trying to throw guys out at 1B on a single to LF---you know the "I got a great arm so I wanna show it off" types) I didn't play anymore with them.

Since then I haven't given softball a passing thought until that dude saw me wearing an old tourney shirt at the Y. All I had left was a glove and a pair of 3N2s that need new cleats, so trying to track down a decent bat now. Got any suggestions?

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
Terry congrats on retirement and the brood!

In early 09 Otis called and asked me if I wanted to coach the Langley team but since I was retiring later that year I passed. He PCS'd but I forget where. A guy I knew from playing against in Europe coached them last year but from what I heard he had such a hard time getting guys out to practice that he finally disbanded the team.

I played with a rec team for spring season in 09 but only lasted one season. The drinking and toking in between innings and stuff and the overall just stupid play on the field (trying to throw guys out at 1B on a single to LF---you know the "I got a great arm so I wanna show it off" types) I didn't play anymore with them.

Since then I haven't given softball a passing thought until that dude saw me wearing an old tourney shirt at the Y. All I had left was a glove and a pair of 3N2s that need new cleats, so trying to track down a decent bat now. Got any suggestions?

If it's UTRIP...find a cheap one because they are changing in 2013. Are you guys still hitting decent balls or the new 52's?

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
If it's UTRIP...find a cheap one because they are changing in 2013. Are you guys still hitting decent balls or the new 52's?

I have no idea honestly.

How are those 52s? Any good? Last time I played USSSA we hit 44/400s. One military tourney in NC we actually hit 47/525s.

EDIT: Just checked the league website--they use 40/325s. Mebbe I'll have to get some to see how they are. Sound lame tho.

Last edited:

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
I have no idea honestly.

How are those 52s? Any good? Last time I played USSSA we hit 44/400s. One military tourney in NC we actually hit 47/525s.

EDIT: Just checked the league website--they use 40/325s. Mebbe I'll have to get some to see how they are. Sound lame tho.

I haven't played UTRIP ball in years, so I have never hit the new balls. I have hit 40/375 grey dots and they are pillows. I found I got better results with metal with those balls. OG R/T, Demarini 375's, or white steel/raw steels.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea honestly.

They're bricks below 60, when the temp gets over 80 or so they suck though.

Still hang out here when I can. When b#7's not trying to hit me. He still hasn't succeeded yet though. :D He doesn't hit hard enough.

jstrong

They love to hate me
You'd be hard pressed to beat the Titan Unleashed Coach has here for $129.99.

The bat you're talking about is probably the least popular Resmondo, and is 3 model years old. That is not a good price for one. I paid about $100 for one used over a year ago.

UTrip's new stamp for next year is on a few of the new bats. If you think you might keep playing there are some good options coming up. I'd personally get the new Mizuno Blackout when it comes out, but depending on when your league starts it may not be out in time. Coach has all the new Mikens here, and if you call and tell them you know me he might hook you up. :D

I'd agree the Titan Unleashed is a very good bat broken in and is on the cheap.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
They're bricks below 60, when the temp gets over 80 or so they suck though.

Still hang out here when I can. When b#7's not trying to hit me. He still hasn't succeeded yet though. :D He doesn't hit hard enough.

Ugh---I guess I'll see how they are in a month or so. Maybe I'll call parks n rec to find out exactly what they use.