Craziest stuff you've seen playing softball?

D-ROCK13

We had an ump call time and call for coaches unexpectedly. Then our coach goes over to our batter who just made it to first, tells him he has to go clean home plate or the ump is going to eject him. Apparently he had accidentally spit on home plate while batting. Next game the same ump ejected 4 players from the opposing team for arguing strike calls. Guess he had a bad day lol

JN137

So this one wasn't really that "Crazy" but I've never seen it before..

Guy rounding 3rd, attempting to score. The throw comes in from LF to home, way off line.. The pitcher runs toward the throw in attempt to cut the ball off from flying to god knows where. He jumps, tips the ball with his glove, the ball ricochets directly to the catcher, and actually beats the runner to the plate. Inning over

Revoke36

Our local league, you can’t touch home plate. There’s a line to cross instead. One out, two runners on. Batter smashes a deep bomb out of the yard. All runners run the bases and the first two runners tag home plate. Inning ended and no runs were scored. Not even the dinger.

milesej05

The Rookie
Our local league, you can’t touch home plate. There’s a line to cross instead. One out, two runners on. Batter smashes a deep bomb out of the yard. All runners run the bases and the first two runners tag home plate. Inning ended and no runs were scored. Not even the dinger.

WTF kind of league are you playing in??

Revoke36

I play on three teams between two leagues that are local to me and both use the line at home plate. Men’s E and men’s D4. Then my coed team is D1. I hate the line. Umps are always making questionable calls because the run isn’t recorded when you cross the line; but when your foot touches the ground beyond the line. It would be a much easier and consistent call for the ump if they were to have that spectacle narrowed down to just home plate and not the plate plus a 20 foot line lol.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
The first thing that comes to my mind happened in league many years back....Line drive to LC caught on the fly. Runner at 3rd tagging up to score. Umpire recognizes that there will be a play at the plate so he runs out about 5' in front of home to make the call. The problem is, he positioned himself in the worst possible spot, and proceeds to get drilled in the back of the head from the laser our LC fielder threw.

This wasn't in a game, but just at BP. The fields we were on have those half dome chain link backstops that extend out to directly over home plate. The guy hitting popped one straight up that hit the metal bar and ricocheted back down and hit him in the top of the head. Everyone doubled over in laughter for a good 30 seconds or so....then he did it again on the very next pitch.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
WTF kind of league are you playing in??
This is pretty much universal leagues in Canada. Plays at home are all force plays.
It significantly reduces the risks of injury due to collision as home plate. It also eliminates fights between teams for seemingly "dirty" plays on either side.
The rule should not exist for balls hit over the fence, and it's pretty stupid when people are called out for stepping on the plate after jogging the bases.

Revoke36

The first thing that comes to my mind happened in league many years back....Line drive to LC caught on the fly. Runner at 3rd tagging up to score. Umpire recognizes that there will be a play at the plate so he runs out about 5' in front of home to make the call. The problem is, he positioned himself in the worst possible spot, and proceeds to get drilled in the back of the head from the laser our LC fielder threw.

This wasn't in a game, but just at BP. The fields we were on have those half dome chain link backstops that extend out to directly over home plate. The guy hitting popped one straight up that hit the metal bar and ricocheted back down and hit him in the top of the head. Everyone doubled over in laughter for a good 30 seconds or so....then he did it again on the very next pitch.
Lol that’s funny stuff there. Reminds me of a few games ago... our batter got a stand up double. CF threw a missile to SB and drilled the cutoff square in the back! Ump called runner out that had an easy stand up double lol But even the other team was laughing and told the ump they hit their own player and not the runner.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Military worlds about a month ago in Viera, FL I saw a CF and LF both slide feet first for a fly ball in the gap. They collided. LF's knee hit CF's shin and broke tibia and fibula. It looked like CF had a gumby leg. They had to stop the game for about 45 minutes to get paramedics out there. Most gruesome injury I've ever seen on a field. I was surprised it wasn't a compound fracture.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Military worlds about a month ago in Viera, FL I saw a CF and LF both slide feet first for a fly ball in the gap. They collided. LF's knee hit CF's shin and broke tibia and fibula. It looked like CF had a gumby leg. They had to stop the game for about 45 minutes to get paramedics out there. Most gruesome injury I've ever seen on a field. I was surprised it wasn't a compound fracture.

The worst I've witnessed was 2 years ago during the base intramural league. A guy chasing down a fly ball collided with the chain link fence at full speed and literally ripped his nose off. The ruts from the ambulance driving out into the field are still there.

I didn't see it happen, but a couple weekends ago on Labor Day weekend at a military tournament in TX a kid slid into third foot first and apparently folded his leg in half at the knee.....the wrong direction. He got taken off by a stretcher and ambulance and had to get surgery. Last I heard the surgery went well.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I played an unlimited HR Utrip tourney last year that was held...at a little league complex. That whole tournament was ridiculously crazy (and fun).

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
league this week. team's lead off is also playing left center. seems like he knew what he was doing. on base a lot made some plays in the outfield. HOWEVER, he apparently could NOT keep himself from throwing his glove in the air on home runs like the ole maybe it will hit the ball! play. He did it on every hr and even did it on balls that didn't get out. (10' fences). In the 2 games we played them we were awarded 3base errors 4 times. He just wouldn't stop doing it.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Must have been in Branson...where they change the rules when you show up to play from Unlimited HR's to 5 HR's an inning on 250' fences.

Yep it was Branson at Ballparks of America. What was almost as crazy as the tournament itself was seeing that complex. I grew up in Branson going to the red roof mall all the time. I'm glad they revived that area for something that cool.

Joker

this thread is still filled with stupid **** that isn't "crazy". the guy getting his nose ripped off qualifies though

sleepin4matty

Management Material
On two occasions this exact same thing happened to my same team with two different SS. SS runs out for fly ball, CF runs in for fly ball, nobody calls, collision happens, SS breaks tibial plateau and has to have surgery to repair out 6-8 months for recovery

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
i've seen some guys playing who will probably die virgins.

Last edited:

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I just saw a FB post from an old friend that reminded me of a "crazy" softball story. He was playing RC, and had an absolute cannon for an arm. Short fly ball was hit to him, and the runner that was on 2 tagged up to go to 3 (for god knows what reason on that short of a fly ball). I get positioned at 3rd to receive the throw that I know is going to beat the runner by a country mile. Well, he airmails the throw....over my head....over the fence behind me...into the parking lot....square into the drivers side door of his own brand new Silverado.

kimo

I just saw a FB post from an old friend that reminded me of a "crazy" softball story. He was playing RC, and had an absolute cannon for an arm. Short fly ball was hit to him, and the runner that was on 2 tagged up to go to 3 (for god knows what reason on that short of a fly ball). I get positioned at 3rd to receive the throw that I know is going to beat the runner by a country mile. Well, he airmails the throw....over my head....over the fence behind me...into the parking lot....square into the drivers side door of his own brand new Silverado.

Should’ve got a Ford

TheKid33

Star Player
Few weeks back, summer league playoffs. I was watching the game because my buddy is on one of the teams in the championship game. His team wins. Guy on the other team starts talking trash and tells my buddy's brother to put his mouth on his genitals for lack of a better term. Tells him to fight him right there. My buddy and his brother beat this guy up in the dugout, it gets broken up. Guy sneaks off from the crowd to try and go back and get another piece.. My buddy launches a full unopened beer can at this guy's face, splitting his brow open. Buddy is now banned from USSSA Softball in the state of Michigan. Leagues and tourneys.

By far the craziest thing I've seen on a ball field.

Revoke36

He threw it exactly where he was looking. At his damn truck.